Mason baseball team advances to A10 championship game

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Rice is saving their stud pitcher for their 2nd game which helps. Of course, their #2 guy is pretty good too. I think our pitchers will be ok... we just need our bats to come alive if we are to have any shot.

Rice is saving their stud pitcher for their 2nd game which helps. Of course, their #2 guy is pretty good too. I think our pitchers will be ok... we just need our bats to come alive if we are to have any shot.

BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL, BABY!

It is a good thing for us Anthony Rendon isn't at Rice anymore, wasting his talents for the shiitbird team in DC.

I think if we get a win down there it may come against A&M if we see them. Their pitching doesn't seem quite as deep or as good as Rice or Texas. Opponents are only hitting .230 against Texas and .231 against Rice. A&M it's .261, same as Mason (.260) pretty much.

Should be fun either way!

Interesting trivia, did you know Texas is the second biggest state in the "Union" (The United States America) behind only Alaska?

If you have a Mason diploma, it's probably 50-50 at best that you knew that. I sure as Sam didn't!

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing it'll be Gaynor, and we'll save The Full Monte for tomorrow, but that's why Skip gets paid the "big" bucks.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm guessing it'll be Gaynor, and we'll save The Full Monte for tomorrow, but that's why Skip gets paid the "big" bucks.
He did that in the A10 tourney as well, starting Gaynor. But then he used Williams in the second game and Monty in the third. On paper, that seemed like a gamble to hold Monty until game 3, but it obviously paid off.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
For the past three years my family has hosted a college baseball player for our local summer league team in Illinois. This year our player is from the University of Minnesota. They had some nice throwback pullover jerseys earlier this year that were yellow - would love to see something like it for us:

03UBAS040613.JPG

He did that in the A10 tourney as well, starting Gaynor. But then he used Williams in the second game and Monty in the third. On paper, that seemed like a gamble to hold Monty until game 3, but it obviously paid off.

Did he hold him back after they won game 1? Can't imagine Coach Brown would have held back his (arguably) best pitcher if they were 0-1 in the A-10 tournament.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Did he hold him back after they won game 1? Can't imagine Coach Brown would have held back his (arguably) best pitcher if they were 0-1 in the A-10 tournament.
Yes. But not sure if Williams was a better matchup against St Joe's in Game 2 or not, but that's who he pitched. Then Monty pitched against vcu in the semis

Pablo

Hall of Famer
#1 Rice 7 - #4 Mason 2. Mason scored 2 runs in the top of the 8th to take the lead 2-1, but Rice scored 6 runs in the bottom of the inning.

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Thought we hd them when we took the lead in the top of the 8th, but then the wheels came off in the bottom of the inning. Great game up until then. Hope they bounce back in their next game.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Damn, tough loss. Probably should have pulled the starter a little sooner, especially after a long inning of just sitting there in the dugout. Glad to see we hung tough with a program like Rice though. Lets beat A&M!

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Damn, tough loss. Probably should have pulled the starter a little sooner, especially after a long inning of just sitting there in the dugout. Glad to see we hung tough with a program like Rice though. Lets beat A&M!

I was thinking the same thing about taking the starter out. I watched the last couple of innings on espn3, and the commentators basically indicated Mason's bullpen has been weak this year. Likely explains why Brown didn't go there earlier.