Mason baseball team advances to A10 championship game

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It is amazing how we are winning more conference tournament games in other sports in the A10 versus CAA.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It is amazing how we are winning more conference tournament games in other sports in the A10 versus CAA.

I'm really not surprised that we're doing so well on the diamond.

As a northeastern-centered league, the A-10 has never been a baseball power. It's one of the sports in which the CAA was clearly superior.

Going forward, it wouldn't surprise me if Mason, vcu, Davidson and Richmond were all among the league's top teams.

There's just so much more emphasis and interest in baseball in the south. Many of the elite HS players in the northeast wind up signing at southern schools to get out of the friggin' cold.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
ITs a good day when we beat the arts school of richmond.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Some rule changes are also helping northern/mid-major schools. The NCAA allows baseball teams 11.7 scholarships. In years past, schools could give 1% of a scholarship to a player if they wanted to do so. Thus, a coach could divide up that 11.7 as he wished, spreading it among as many players as possible. Recently, the NCAA changed the rule and now coaches must give a player a minimum of 25% of a scholarship. So Clemson, FSU, etc are limited in how many players they can have on scholarship. That's pushing more and more kids who may have gone to a Clemson for 5%, to other more non-traditional schools. Thus, Stony Brook and Kent St are able to get better players and reach the College World Series.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nice....from watching that video it's clear that at least the baseball team is fundamentally sound.

If any basketball recruits are reading this, that was not a shot at the basketball team but the rowing squad. I'm tired of their poor technique over the last few years.
You'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun under Coach Hewitt!

Go GMU baseball!

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
JimP, I know you think you're being clever, but there's no need to take away from the baseball team's accomplishment. Seriously, man, go find another thread if you want to talk about other programs.

Back on topic, congrats to Billy Brown and the baseball team. Hope they make some noise in the NCAAT.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Great win! Go Mason! We're lucky to have a great coach with over 900 wins. :crazyeyes: He seems like a really knowledgable and classy guy who wins the right way. This is a question for some of the older/more distinguished posters: What have some of our seeds been for 85,88,92,93,04 and 09?

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Great win! Go Mason! We're lucky to have a great coach with over 900 wins. :crazyeyes: He seems like a really knowledgable and classy guy who wins the right way. This is a question for some of the older/more distinguished posters: What have some of our seeds been for 85,88,92,93,04 and 09?

3rd in '09 (Greenville Regional)
3rd in '04 (Charlottesville Regional)

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
JimP, I know you think you're being clever, but there's no need to take away from the baseball team's accomplishment. Seriously, man, go find another thread if you want to talk about other programs.

Back on topic, congrats to Billy Brown and the baseball team. Hope they make some noise in the NCAAT.

Relax - I'm happy the baseball team won. Looking forward to seeing where they end up.

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason draws Rice in the Houston regional with the winner facing the winner of Texas/Texas A&M.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Get the Mason name in front of a part of the country that doesn't know us very well (vs previous tournaments that had us going to Charlottesville--as sweet as it would have been to knock off UVa!).

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well, they certainly have no pressure on them. They're the 4 seed in about as tough a situation as possible....Just go out, play some ball, and see what happens.