Jon Arledge to ODU

Masonfan3

Starter
He's probably gonna have a huge year in Norfolk, while we struggle to break 50 points in most games.

Awesome.

If Jeff Jones can get him motivated to play hard every game then I wouldn't be surprised to see him play well but that's a big IF. He has always had the talent but for some reason he lacked motivation (or that's how it appeared) and at times didn't even look like he wanted to be out there.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If Jeff Jones can get him motivated to play hard every game then I wouldn't be surprised to see him play well but that's a big IF. He has always had the talent but for some reason he lacked motivation (or that's how it appeared) and at times didn't even look like he wanted to be out there.

I am very interested to see what Jones does with JA. If we see JA play with fire at ODU that we didn't see at GMU, then that will give us more poo poo to dump on Hewitt.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Andy Pollen had one of the organizers of the Capital Classic on this morning (570am). Pollen mentioned how the game will feature a bunch of kids that will play locally and Porter was mentioned first.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I am very interested to see what Jones does with JA. If we see JA play with fire at ODU that we didn't see at GMU, then that will give us more poo poo to dump on Hewitt.

Probably nothing close to what he did with Moldoveanu after he left Mason unhappy. I do think it's funny that JA thought he would have a ton of offers from teams in big-time conferences, and now he's wasting away in the cesspool known as Conference USA. Good riddance.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Probably nothing close to what he did with Moloveanu after he left Mason unhappy. I do think it's funny that JA thought he would have a ton of offers from teams in big-time conferences, and now he's wasting away in the cesspool known as Conference USA. Good riddance.

Daily Press had a story this morning that claimed JA had an offer from Miami after he announced he was leaving Mason, but chose ODU for proximity to home and familiarity with the school and coaches.

True? Who knows? Maybe Larranaga thought he was an ACC-caliber player.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe Larranaga thought he was an ACC-caliber player.

An ACC-caliber player he only played 5 minutes a game as a freshman in the CAA? That seems like a stretch, especially with the recruiting class he has coming in, but stranger things have happened.

Masonfan3

Starter
I think he's an ACC-caliber player, but he doesn't have an ACC-caliber motor.

For someone who is 6-9 he can really handle the ball and has a nice shot but you are 100% correct on his motor. He also lacks the skills to defend and rebound. Offensively he is as gifted as any Mason player I have seen but that will only take you so far. I wish the kid the best but if Jeff Jones/ODU fans expect him to play with intensity/hustle/do anything outside of shooting jumps shots and the occasional dunk they are in for a big surprise.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Daily Press had a story this morning that claimed JA had an offer from Miami after he announced he was leaving Mason, but chose ODU for proximity to home and familiarity with the school and coaches.

True? Who knows? Maybe Larranaga thought he was an ACC-caliber player.

Familiarity with the coaches seems a bit specious considering Miami has the entire coaching staff who recruited him and with whom he played (same system too).

Maybe he didn't want to go to Coral Gables because it was too far away, but I doubt that's the reason.

MasonJar

Walk-On
Probably nothing close to what he did with Moloveanu after he left Mason unhappy. I do think it's funny that JA thought he would have a ton of offers from teams in big-time conferences, and now he's wasting away in the cesspool known as Conference USA. Good riddance.

Apt description!

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
An ACC-caliber player he only played 5 minutes a game as a freshman in the CAA? That seems like a stretch, especially with the recruiting class he has coming in, but stranger things have happened.

Because Freshman stats are what's important when looking to bring in a fifth year Senior? Certainly more important then the 13.1 points & 5.7 rebounds he averaged in the last 18 games when he started getting starters minutes right?

Spin all you want, it's a nice get for ODU and a loss for us.