Jon Arledge to ODU

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kind of sucks JA went out this way since we all had high hopes of this kid they way he played during the CBI.

JA was pretty decent... But I've never seen a bigger 6'9'' pussy than Arledge. He has the potential to be beast. If he had the heart of Pearson and the rage of a bull, he would would be nasty.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Regardless of what happened in the aftermath of his car accident, the bottom line is we'd be better off with JA in our lineup next season than wearing an ODU uniform. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that.

Jim, who exactly is arguing that JA couldn't help us? For whatever reason, he chose to move on or was asked to do so. It's time for us to do the same.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, who exactly is arguing that JA couldn't help us? For whatever reason, he chose to move on or was asked to do so. It's time for us to do the same.

The person I originally replied to suggested that JA's transfer wasn't much of a loss for us. I was disagreeing with him. That's about it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think not having him last year hurt our team but I don't see it as a big deal for next season. We have Royal and Mayimba who can do exactly what Arledge does well if not better. Plus Mayimba will be a much better defensive player and IMO Royal is a better shooter than Arledge. Potentially Arledge can be a stud but the guy lacks motivation/drive/desire or something which limits him. If we are going on potential then yes it could be a loss but what this team needs is someone who will hustle up and down the court, play good defense, make smart plays, and not be afraid to rebound; all things Arledge didn't show us in his 4 years. I wish him all the luck because he seems like a good kid and he has so much potential (with his size and athleticism) but he has some serious flaws in the mental side of the game.

Just wanted to point out, we don't know what Royal or Mayimba can do -- since neither has played even one second in a Mason uniform.

I understand it's human nature to try and minimize the anticipated impact when somebody transfers out. People did the same thing when Luke left, and were made to look very stupid.

I just think we ought to wait and see before we start suggesting this guy or that guy is clearly better than a guy who had some pretty damn nice moments for our program.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Having a fifth year Arledge would have made the decision to red-shirt Porter a little easier (This is if Hewitt agrees with us no nothing's that Poret would benefit from a red-shirt freshman year.

Royal, Jenkins, Marko, Copes and Arledge we'd have been loaded up front.

Arledge also was a better defender than some let on on these boards. He knew how to use his length to pin players on the baseline. And he wasn't the same kind of turnstile on the perimeter that Marko is. Not a lockdown defender but he was certainly better than a lot of guys getting a lot of minutes this past season.

He will definitely be missed.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Royal is going to make us all forget what JA stands for by mid season.

However, having both Roya and JA, plus Jenkins, we'd have no drop off when subbing the 4 spot and would of killed teams at that spot. IF JA wanted to come back, there's no reason he should not of been allowed to. Hewitt did say it was JA's decision to RS, which tells me it was Hewitt's decision to not allow him a fifth year b/c he was mad his team would suck even worse without JA. JA cost us at least 4 games. Hewitt should stop being passive aggressive towards his players. So girly.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Royal is going to make us all forget what JA stands for by mid season.
I hope you are right. Surely if Royal is that impressive then we would have been hearing about how he has been killing it in practice last season.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
People who just look at what Arledge could bring us this season are missing the big picture. Of course a 6-9 big man with range could help us win one or two more games, but the key is what we do with his scholarship that could help us over the next two to four years.

If the 7-foot JUCO Thompson is signed, it means we landed a big man for two years over the one Arledge would have given us. If we sign a freshman big man or guard that ends up playing here four years, it could pay much greater dividends down the road.

I think everybody agrees we are going to struggle next season, so I understand the idea of wanting to save a scholarship for somebody who can help us long term (even if it's two years). Hewitt most likely won't be here in he future, but I do like the idea of not just playing for the upcoming season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
People who just look at what Arledge could bring us this season are missing the big picture. Of course a 6-9 big man with range could help us win one or two more games, but the key is what we do with his scholarship that could help us over the next two to four years.

If the 7-foot JUCO Thompson is signed, it means we landed a big man for two years over the one Arledge would have given us. If we sign a freshman big man or guard that ends up playing here four years, it could pay much greater dividends down the road.

I think everybody agrees we are going to struggle next season, so I understand the idea of wanting to save a scholarship for somebody who can help us long term (even if it's two years). Hewitt most likely won't be here in he future, but I do like the idea of not just playing for the upcoming season.

Ordinarily I'd agree that using the scholarship on a 4-year player would be preferable. But we need help now. Big time. And given the fact that most of us here expect Hewitt to be gone after next season, why would we go out and sign a fifth freshman who could up and leave if the coach gets canned?

I'm honestly a little shocked that Hewitt hasn't signed a senior transfer already. It would be a win-win; we need somebody to come in and contribute (score) right away, and a 1-year player wouldn't have to worry about the coach's employment status. Maybe he's waiting to see what happens with Thompson before moving in that direction.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, I do agree that adding another freshman would muddy the waters with four already coming in, so the ideal options would definitely be a JUCO or fifth-year senior.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope you are right. Surely if Royal is that impressive then we would have been hearing about how he has been killing it in practice last season.

I don't think those type comments are heard much in this regime. Previously, you'd always hear the kids promoting their teammates.

sigmanorm

Starter
Familiarity with the coaches seems a bit specious considering Miami has the entire coaching staff who recruited him and with whom he played (same system too).

Maybe he didn't want to go to Coral Gables because it was too far away, but I doubt that's the reason.
Maybe he didn't want to go to the U because of the familiarity with those coaches haha

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ordinarily I'd agree that using the scholarship on a 4-year player would be preferable. But we need help now. Big time. And given the fact that most of us here expect Hewitt to be gone after next season, why would we go out and sign a fifth freshman who could up and leave if the coach gets canned?

I'm honestly a little shocked that Hewitt hasn't signed a senior transfer already. It would be a win-win; we need somebody to come in and contribute (score) right away, and a 1-year player wouldn't have to worry about the coach's employment status. Maybe he's waiting to see what happens with Thompson before moving in that direction.

I asked in another thread if we should be concerned, Tom said we should not.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Since Hewitts style isn't one of crushing an opponent with your best weapons and keeping your foot on their throat, you probably won't see any more team domination or blow outs. All this one on one shit, lapses on D and O will continue b/c there is no reason to believe they have stopped. They haven't since Ga T days. It's just the way he coaches during the game. Uphold a system and a win should come. As opposed to, coach for a win at all costs every game.

I don't blame Hewitt two seconds for the Arledge situation, except for a general poo-pooing of Arledge's overall talent while he was here.

Hey he's not NBA talent, but he doesn't exactly pale in comparison to the guys you're bringing in here, either Paul.

But for not allowing him to redshirt, I wouldn't have allowed him to either. He was supposed to play with his fellow seniors, and no need to have another L holdover on what is all about the young guys next year taking a step forward (or not).

The redshirting was all about stupid pro and ACC dreams, which is ridiculous.

I mean, remember that dunk he pulled off in game one? Plus his car "incident" was a decent while prior, and multiple doctors cleared him to play.

The redshirting was for purely selfish reasons, as I said before a major theme in recent years with these guys, and not helped by a lack of team-building.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I asked in another thread if we should be concerned, Tom said we should not.

GS, you get worked up over everything, so this was just one less thing I wanted you to worry about. We will either sign Thompson, a 5th-year transfer, a transfer who has to sit out this year or another freshman. The only really bad option I could foresee is sitting on the scholarship for another year, which could be tough with three additional spots to fill next season and Hewitt's status is in limbo.