Jon Arledge to ODU

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Spin all you want, it's a nice get for ODU and a loss for us.

I'm not spinning anything, Huey. If Johnny Prospect wants to play elsewhere, more power to him. I just think it's a shame he had so many people whispering in his ear about how great he is, because settling for ODU is a giant slice of humble pie no matter how lucky you think they are.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
What teh f**k is all of this Arledge stuff doing in the 2014 Recruiting thread? I'm splitting it off.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Good idea splitting the thread off, ZA. For the record, I was pissed when Luke left the program, but I also ended up rooting for him and being happy for him when Louisville won the national title. I'm sure I will end up pulling for Jon as well in due time. He seems like a good kid who just got some bad advice, but there's no questioning he's got talent and I'm sure he will have a nice year at ODU.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Good idea splitting the thread off, ZA. For the record, I was pissed when Luke left the program, but I also ended up rooting for him and being happy for him when Louisville won the national title. I'm sure I will end up pulling for Jon as well in due time. He seems like a good kid who just got some bad advice, but there's no questioning he's got talent and I'm sure he will have a nice year at ODU.

Tom, I'm asking this honestly, not to be a smart-a**: Why are you assuming JA leaving is a matter of him getting bad advice, and not a matter of Hewitt basically telling him there wasn't a scholarship available for him if he chose to sit out last season and pursue a medical redshirt?

I haven't read anything conclusive either way, but if I've missed it, please don't hesitate to correct me. Thanks.

masonjoe

Starter
Frankly I don't root for a guy that essentially quit on the team. You're still in school taking classes, even if you had a spat with the coach you don't sit the bench and support your teammates?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Frankly I don't root for a guy that essentially quit on the team. You're still in school taking classes, even if you had a spat with the coach you don't sit the bench and support your teammates?

How do you know he quit? How do you know that Hewitt didn't tell him he didn't want him on the bench?

These are questions that need to be asked. If you can answer them, by all means go ahead.

If not, no reason to trash a soon-to-be Mason alumnus on his way out of town.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

I don't know, but this could be chalked up as poor performance in the "keeping the team together dept". If things like this happens it can ruin team unity. But who am I to diss on the little guy named Paul.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I don't know, but this could be chalked up as poor performance in the "keeping the team together dept". If things like this happens it can ruin team unity. But who am I to diss on the little guy named Paul.

GS,

Without the facts, you really can't blame anyone (including Hewitt) for this situation. On a positive note, the last 4 players to leave the program before completing their eligibility (Vertrail Vaughns, Paris Bennett, Anali Okoloji, & Arledge earned (or will earn) their degrees at Mason before transferring.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I really don't know what to make about this situation yet. A part of me wishes him well for his contributions to our team over the years, a part of me is pissed for us not knowing what exactly happened to him.... if he hates Hewitt and company or if he really is a whiny little girl who couldn't have his way this past year, and a part of me is in shock and disappointed that he would choose to go to ODU since he is such a NBA level talent where the scouts are lined up in Norfolk to watch him play.

First time he gets the ball downlow on us this year, Copes or Jalen better foul his arse hard to send a message from the get go.

masonjoe

Starter
How do you know he quit? How do you know that Hewitt didn't tell him he didn't want him on the bench?

These are questions that need to be asked. If you can answer them, by all means go ahead.

If not, no reason to trash a soon-to-be Mason alumnus on his way out of town.

So you're saying it is more likely the head coach just flat out kicked him out, rather than a 20 something year old college kid throwing a hissing fit and walking off? OKAY

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, I'm asking this honestly, not to be a smart-a**: Why are you assuming JA leaving is a matter of him getting bad advice, and not a matter of Hewitt basically telling him there wasn't a scholarship available for him if he chose to sit out last season and pursue a medical redshirt?

Jim, who knows what to believe anymore? I've heard from some people that JA wanted to sit out this year and return to Mason next season, which was allegedly nixed by Hewitt (who allegedly thought he should suck it up and play). I've heard from several other people that he was told by his friends and family that he could excel at a higher level, so he decided to sit out, graduate and play his fifth year in a bigger conference.

I guess none of it really matters in the long run, because JA and every other student athlete has every right to play for another school. I just wish he would have left us for a better program than ODU.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So you're saying it is more likely the head coach just flat out kicked him out, rather than a 20 something year old college kid throwing a hissing fit and walking off? OKAY

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that I DON'T FREAKING KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. Therefore, until I have some actual knowledge, I'm not going to assume that it was one or the other.

As I said, if you have some real info, please post it. Otherwise, please stop jumping to unfounded conclusions.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that I DON'T FREAKING KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. Therefore, until I have some actual knowledge, I'm not going to assume that it was one or the other.

As I said, if you have some real info, please post it. Otherwise, please stop jumping to unfounded conclusions.

I doubt it was entirely one way or the other, but a combination of factors.

The only thing I know is it sucks he got into a car accident last summer and precipitated this whole mess. We missed a healthy Arledge on the court.

smccart5

Starter
He was good for such a short time (5-10 games? )that i don't even know if this is a loss for us.

I definitely will not be rooting for him only because i never see ODU games.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He was good for such a short time (5-10 games? )that i don't even know if this is a loss for us.

If for no other talent he was a fantastic FT shooter. And with his length I think all would agree we would rather have had him on the floor at end of game scenarios than Copes while nursing a close lead.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

He was excellent for about 20 games his junior season after J2 got concussed and Hewitt had no choice but put JA in the starting lineup and let him play.

Is that a small sample size? Sure.

But acting as if it's no big deal for an offensively-challenged team to lose a 6-9 guy who shot 40 percent from 3 is insane.

Regardless of what happened in the aftermath of his car accident, the bottom line is we'd be better off with JA in our lineup next season than wearing an ODU uniform. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He was excellent for about 20 games his junior season after J2 got concussed and Hewitt had no choice but put JA in the starting lineup and let him play.

Is that a small sample size? Sure.

But acting as if it's no big deal for an offensively-challenged team to lose a 6-9 guy who shot 40 percent from 3 is insane.

Regardless of what happened in the aftermath of his car accident, the bottom line is we'd be better off with JA in our lineup next season than wearing an ODU uniform. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that.

Agree with gmujim. Losing Arledge ain't addition by subtraction or somehow a situation that evens out. IMO, we will be subtracting wins from our season total next year with his absence.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

There is no question that JA stepped up his game when he replaced Williams in the starting lineup and produced impressive stats. But, let's not imply that Hewitt held him back and denied him quality playing time In fact, Jonathan was the starter in the first 3 games of the 2012-13 (while Copes was suspended) and had as many personal fouls (11) as points scored.

Prior to the 2013-14 season, I believe that Hewitt was fair and reasonable in developing Arledge into the player that he became in the latter half of his junior season. What happened after the car accident is anyone's guess.

Masonfan3

Starter
Agree with gmujim. Losing Arledge ain't addition by subtraction or somehow a situation that evens out. IMO, we will be subtracting wins from our season total next year with his absence.

I think not having him last year hurt our team but I don't see it as a big deal for next season. We have Royal and Mayimba who can do exactly what Arledge does well if not better. Plus Mayimba will be a much better defensive player and IMO Royal is a better shooter than Arledge. Potentially Arledge can be a stud but the guy lacks motivation/drive/desire or something which limits him. If we are going on potential then yes it could be a loss but what this team needs is someone who will hustle up and down the court, play good defense, make smart plays, and not be afraid to rebound; all things Arledge didn't show us in his 4 years. I wish him all the luck because he seems like a good kid and he has so much potential (with his size and athleticism) but he has some serious flaws in the mental side of the game.

Last edited: