Insane finish & win for ODU, now in NIT semis

bob

Four-star Recruit
Took a 5-26 team and in 2 years they're 27-7 and in the NIT semis. Can the right coach help?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Took a 5-26 team and in 2 years they're 27-7 and in the NIT semis. Can the right coach help?

I like the comparison because ODU had far talent than 5-26 -- which was largely a product of Taylor falling off the wagon -- and they've shown it the past two seasons under Jones.

If our next coach is good enough, a .500 season overall shouldn't be out of the question in 2015-16.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In all honesty that was a great game and both teams looked good. As someone mentioned in the other thread - the players had great spacing on the floor, solid defense, good use of timeouts by the coaches, etc.

One of the better college games that I have seen recently.

DeepValue

Starter
ODU was on a roll and Murray St was just hanging on in the second half. Then MS made their run and would have won in OT imho. The pass that set up the game tying three was a thing of beauty. It was a good thing for ODU that their final heave went in. Both teams showed very well.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Jones is doing a good job, but people have to stop awarding medals to coaches for one pretty good year.

They also should have made the NCAA Tourney.

Completely agree. If I had a dollar for every time somebody here slobbered on Pat Skerry's johnson when he rode Benimon to a good season, I'd be able to join the Green Coat Society. Didn't hear much about Skerry this year, did we?

Same thing with Lonegran. He rode a couple of good transfers to turn the GW program around (props to him for doing that), but people in Foggy Bottom got a reality check this year when the Colonials crapped the bed and didn't make the tournament as expected.

Now that Hewitt is gone, we need to set the bar higher. I want somebody better than Skerry, Longran and even Jeff Jones. If that's unrealistic, so be it.

hoops10

Sixth Man
On a side note ithought alphonso Ellis did a great job as a commentator. The game in itself was exciting but he brought it to another level.

Both teams were outstanding and coaching was superb. Can't sign Prohm fast enough. I'm jealous what talent!

OP
B

bob

Four-star Recruit
I think Jones is doing a good job, but people have to stop awarding medals to coaches for one pretty good year.

They also should have made the NCAA Tourney.

'One year' my *ss. He did a good job at Virginia and was undone off the court, not on it. He was widely praised for building decent teams at American U. Last year he took a team that won just 5 games the year before and won 18 games with it -- that 13 game turnaround was the largest for any college in the nation. And this year, ODU's had a d*mned decent year and are in the NIT semis.

Jones is widely respected in the coaching community -- a fine Xs and Os coach.

Pretty decent player, too. Did you know Dean Smith offered Jeff Jones to play for him at UNC, but Jeff chose Terry Holland and Virginia. Smith commented once that he always regretted not having Jeff Jones on his team for 4 years -- it would have been as a point guard for Jordan, as I recall. Jones has that offer from Smith framed and hanging among the many displays on his wall.

He's quite a guy, really. He made personal mistake over 20 years ago and has proved the point -- redemption and quality comes from living it over the years, not somebody else (who of course never made a mistake in their lives) blathering about it.

Last edited:
OP
B

bob

Four-star Recruit
Completely agree. If I had a dollar for every time somebody here slobbered on Pat Skerry's johnson when he rode Benimon to a good season, I'd be able to join the Green Coat Society. Didn't hear much about Skerry this year, did we?

Same thing with Lonegran. He rode a couple of good transfers to turn the GW program around (props to him for doing that), but people in Foggy Bottom got a reality check this year when the Colonials crapped the bed and didn't make the tournament as expected.

Now that Hewitt is gone, we need to set the bar higher. I want somebody better than Skerry, Longran and even Jeff Jones. If that's unrealistic, so be it.

I understand we play ODU again next year. We'll play GW twice. No matter who's coaching GMU, I, just like most others (if they're honest), would be very surprised if GMU wins any of those games. And that'll change? We'll see. BTW, as to Lonergan, if you think he's widely thought of as 'failing' at GW, then you're not demonstrating a particle of awareness of college basketball reality.

You think Lonergan would leave GW to inherit the GMU right now? Sure, if we offer a $2M per year, 10 year, no buy-out contract with lots of bonuses. Probably true for Jones, too. You need to come down to earth. GMU can get a decent up and coming coach to give it a try here. That doesn't take one iota from the accomplishments of anyone else anywhere else, and all the message board blather on earth won't change that.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Take a deep breath, Bobby. Nobody said Jones, Lonegran or even Skerry weren't better than our coach the last four years. That's not even debatable. And, yes, there is a very good chance we will lose to GW and ODU next year. It still doesn't change my outlook.

We get a chance to start anew, so it's time we stop looking at what our program was under the Hewitt regime and start viewing it as what it can be. I want a coach here that has the vision to do that.

Is GW a better program than ours right now? Of course. Is Lonegran a better coach than Hewitt. No question. Would I take Lonegran today if he became available. I doubt it. I just don't think he's as good as others like you do. (I do admit that Jones is doing better at ODU than I expected in such a short time.)

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, but I hope Edwards is, too. Our program is not the hot commodity it was four years ago, but we deserve somebody who can sees this opportunity for what it is. Time will tell if we get that very important decision right.

Herndon

All-Conference
Take a deep breath, Bobby. Nobody said Jones, Lonegran or even Skerry weren't better than our coach the last four years. That's not even debatable. And, yes, there is a very good chance we will lose to GW and ODU next year. It still doesn't change my outlook.

We get a chance to start anew, so it's time we stop looking at what our program was under the Hewitt regime and start viewing it as what it can be. I want a coach here that has the vision to do that.

Is GW a better program than ours right now? Of course. Is Lonegran a better coach than Hewitt. No question. Would I take Lonegran today if he became available. I doubt it. I just don't think he's as good as others like you do. (I do admit that Jones is doing better at ODU than I expected in such a short time.)

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, but I hope Edwards is, too. Our program is not the hot commodity it was four years ago, but we deserve somebody who can sees this opportunity for what it is. Time will tell if we get that very important decision right.

See, I don't think Jones is just "better than Hewitt". I think Jones is flat good. He's actually one of the guys I would REALLY like to see us go after. As Bob said, he wasn't just good this year. He was good at UVa, he was good at American, and he's good at ODU. Yes, he likes to bang cheerleaders, but his teams always bring it on the defensive end, and are at least organized on the offensive end.

If we end up with Jeff Jones as our coach, I will be tickled pink. He's a guy I could see being our Bob McKillop. A guy who is here forever and elevates the program to the next level.

TL;DR : "F*&%in' Jones, that creep can coach, maaaan"

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The battles of recruiting help you win the wars of winter. Regardless if its a transfer or true freshman. But you cant become a transfer whore and think you are great. Its a short cut without question.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
See, I don't think Jones is just "better than Hewitt". I think Jones is flat good.

I've liked Jones dating back to his playing days, so I don't want to come across as a Jones hater. He is a very good coach and has done a great job fixing the mess Blaine created down in Norfolk. I guess his personal baggage over they years soured me on him, but he does deserve credit for rejuvenating his career.

Last edited:

Herndon

All-Conference
I guess his personal baggage over they years soured me on him

I totally get that. I was in like middle school or high school when the UVA/cheerleader thing happened, so it didn't have the same effect on me as it might today. I also get that when you're soured on a guys character, it's tough to unsour.

I wouldn't take Calipari at Mason, no matter what, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

G M U

Starter
I wouldn't take Calipari at Mason, no matter what, so I completely understand where you're coming from.[/QUOTE]

I'm taking Calipari all God Damn Day.

Herndon

All-Conference
I'm taking Calipari all God Damn Day.
Honestly, I'd find another team to root for. Yeah, he'd win at Mason, but I didn't go to Mason, I don't root for them because I "have" to. I root for them because I like them, and I wouldn't like a team/program/school that chose to associate itself with a scumbag like Calipari.

KAOriginal

All-American
The Jeff Jones cheerleader thing was/is totally overblown. Hell it shows he'a MAN!!!

The alternative is Penn state football....nobody wants that.....