Insane finish & win for ODU, now in NIT semis

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Jeff Jones cheerleader thing was/is totally overblown.

1170_1236646826720_400_289.jpg

JBiggs

Starter
On a side note ithought alphonso Ellis did a great job as a commentator. The game in itself was exciting but he brought it to another level.

Both teams were outstanding and coaching was superb. Can't sign Prohm fast enough. I'm jealous what talent!
I love Alphonso Ellis.

'One year' my *ss. He did a good job at Virginia and was undone off the court, not on it. He was widely praised for building decent teams at American U. Last year he took a team that won just 5 games the year before and won 18 games with it -- that 13 game turnaround was the largest for any college in the nation. And this year, ODU's had a d*mned decent year and are in the NIT semis.

Jones is widely respected in the coaching community -- a fine Xs and Os coach.

Pretty decent player, too. Did you know Dean Smith offered Jeff Jones to play for him at UNC, but Jeff chose Terry Holland and Virginia. Smith commented once that he always regretted not having Jeff Jones on his team for 4 years -- it would have been as a point guard for Jordan, as I recall. Jones has that offer from Smith framed and hanging among the many displays on his wall.

He's quite a guy, really. He made personal mistake over 20 years ago and has proved the point -- redemption and quality comes from living it over the years, not somebody else (who of course never made a mistake in their lives) blathering about it.

Yeah buddy. Moved to Richmond in 1980 and well aware of his history.

I was referring to his time at ODU and my point still stands. Also, balls awesome he went 20 games over .500 at American.

Are you his wife who one time stood up and yelled at me and my friends at American?

And spare me the Bulls hit about the UVA thing being all about his extra curricular activities. Two out of his last three years he was well under .500 and there was ample evidence UVA was moving in the wrong direction by then.

See, I don't think Jones is just "better than Hewitt". I think Jones is flat good. He's actually one of the guys I would REALLY like to see us go after. As Bob said, he wasn't just good this year. He was good at UVa, he was good at American, and he's good at ODU. Yes, he likes to bang cheerleaders, but his teams always bring it on the defensive end, and are at least organized on the offensive end.

If we end up with Jeff Jones as our coach, I will be tickled pink. He's a guy I could see being our Bob McKillop. A guy who is here forever and elevates the program to the next level.

TL;DR : "F*&%in' Jones, that creep can coach, maaaan"

You really want Jones around like McKillop? Jones is 54. If he has a McKillop type run...he'll be 79 coaching our team. Ummmmmm

(Im not against Jones, but if we signed him I'm not expecting him to be our coach in 2035.....)

Herndon

All-Conference
You really want Jones around like McKillop? Jones is 54. If he has a McKillop type run...he'll be 79 coaching our team. Ummmmmm

(Im not against Jones, but if we signed him I'm not expecting him to be our coach in 2035.....)

LOL, ok, perhaps that was overstated :) How about "I can see him being a guy who stays at Mason for a while, and we're not constantly having to worry about some P5 school snatching him up"

Herndon

All-Conference
And spare me the Bulls hit about the UVA thing being all about his extra curricular activities. Two out of his last three years he was well under .500 and there was ample evidence UVA was moving in the wrong direction by then.
So, this is totally valid, and of course recruiting falls on the coach as well, but Jones had a series of inexplicable recruiting misses in a couple of years. Courtney Alexander turned out to be a psycho. Willie Dersch was a McDonalds all American who sucked. Kris Hunter randomly left the program, Norman Nolan was a H.S. all American who sucked until randomly his senior year. Colin Ducharme was a top 100 guy who went on to dominate...at Longwood.

If Dersch or Alexander pans out, if Alexander doesn't go around kicking his girlfriend's butt, and if Jones can keep his junk in his wife, maybe it turns out differently.

(Yes, I'm aware I sounds like I'm making excuses for him, all of that eventually comes back to him, but some stuff it's pretty hard to plan for)

**Edited because I forgot what Alexander's crime was**

Last edited:
Wow, blast from the past, I think I played against him at Freemen HS (?) in Rich.

Yup. My alma mater.

That family was chock full of smart (and tall) people.

Herndon, IMO Colin Ducharme was never a type who could carry you in the ACC. I mean, we can say stuff like "if Okoloji didn't suck, Copes was a top 100 recruit" all day...

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
GW had ONE senior this season. Yes, it was a disappointing year for them given their start, but let's pump the breaks on them being some kind of failure until we see what they do next season.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
GW had ONE senior this season. Yes, it was a disappointing year for them given their start, but let's pump the breaks on them being some kind of failure until we see what they do next season.

They better be good next season when they have seven seniors, because in two years they could be in serious trouble unless Lonegran pulls some more transfers/JUCOs out of his a**.

Herndon

All-Conference
Yup. My alma mater.

That family was chock full of smart (and tall) people.

Herndon, IMO Colin Ducharme was never a type who could carry you in the ACC. I mean, we can say stuff like "if Okoloji didn't suck, Copes was a top 100 recruit" all day...

Well, sort of, that's what I'm doing. Like, I actually give Hewitt a pass on Copes. I mean, how was he to know he was going to end up sucking? Everybody but everybody thought getting Copes was a huge coup when he landed him. (or, at least I sure did)

If copes were the major issue with Hewitt, I wouldn't have been in favor of letting him go. (Okoloji not so much, because he had him at GT, so he knew what kind of player he was).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
(Okoloji not so much, because he had him at GT, so he knew what kind of player he was).

Herndon, you're getting all of Hewitt's busts mixed up. Okoloji transferred from Seton Hall, Royal came from GT. Try to keep up, man!

[Disclaimer: I'm stubborn to a fault, so i'm hoping our new coach can try to salvage something with Royal. He just seems too athletic and skilled to not be better than he is. #wishfulthinking]

Last edited:

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
GW fans actually wanted to keep Karl Hobbs just so they would not lose Copes.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Herndon, you're getting getting all of Hewitt's busts mixed up. Okoloji transferred from Seton Hall, Royal came from GT. Try to keep up, man!

[Disclaimer: I'm stubborn to a fault, so i'm hoping our new coach can try to salvage something with Royal. He just seems too athletic and skilled to not be better than he is. #wishfulthinking]

I personally think Royal was hampered by his injury, and inept coaching to really show what he could do. I'm hopeful he can do something right with a new coach and if he finally gets healthy.