GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was at Mason when the old farts whined about the video board being too bright on Braddock. If I end up yelling at cloud, I hope the kids put me in the curmudgeon village.

1634644764394.png

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I saw the zoom meeting and in the master plan they said they would build a rec center where the old student apartments were. The presentation focused a lot on trying make campus less commuterish and more lively, they also said they were gonna knock down the 4 original buildings so that it would create like a quad or lawn
Does anyone else find it ironic that you are knocking down 4 buildings to build a quad?

Nisquith99

Four-star Recruit
Does anyone else find it ironic that you are knocking down 4 buildings to build a quad?
Also I saw on one of the master plans that they want to tear down David King hall and build a new one that is more aligned with the newer part of Planetary and tear down the old front part of Planetary to make that green space wider

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So looks like the RAC addition is still in the works. Surprised it is still in the “must be approved” stage since it was announced years ago.

Not 100% sure if this just hasn't been removed from the project list or what the plan is. If I recall I think there was evaluation going on in regards to whether to add onto EBA or do the RAC addition. I think the master plan was supposed to help decide.

I haven't spoken to anyone in a while on the topic but if I do, I'll definitely bring it up.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Meditation garden - they haven't finished putting in all the trees, shrubs, annuals, etc
Ah, I see. At my age, though, walking that thing might make me too dizzy to do anything but fall down. For me, the best meditation is a nap. :giggle:

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Stream restoration project on land that used to have Apartments.

Work has begun on the “Necklace Phase One and Stream Restoration” project on George Mason University’s Fairfax Campus, Mason Facilities announced.

The project includes the restoration of the main stream channel, as well as adjacent tributaries, beginning at the southwestern corner of the Patriot Circle/Aquia Creek Lane intersection and finishing at the northern end of Mason Pond.

It represents the next phase in Mason’s Master Plan, which is the framework that guides decisions concerning the university’s physical environment.

Illuminated, paved and mulched pedestrian trails will be constructed in addition to the restoration. Once this project is completed in late 2022, the Mason community will be able to enjoy a curated, scenic pathway from the intersection of Patriot Circle/Aquia Creek Lane to Mason Pond Drive.

1659473112725.png