Gameday Experience

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Are you talking about half court shots? The Jimmy Johns promotion was for making foul shots and threes. Those are too makeable to give away cars!
Yea they should make it interesting. Sick of seeing unathletic folks brick free throws during the only cool giveaway we do outside of the baby race

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How come weird division 2 schools offer semester tuition or a car for their half court game and we offer jimmy johns sandwiches?! I know both of our prize folks are Nats folks but they are both horrible
f**k, I got a Jimmy Johns sandwich coupon just for walking in the door

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wouldn't you rather gain revenue from a sponsor (that could be used for a new football stadium) rather than give away the farm to a student who makes a lucky basket?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I saw a flier displayed across GK's post-game video after the J State game. It looked something like a "cheer guide" distributed by the G-Force. The flier basically stated that fans should cheer, be rowdy, and stand until the team makes its first basket of the game—oh, tear up the paper to make confetti. Pretty vanilla, but it's something. It certainly has the administration's finger prints all over it. But at the least, perhaps my "Mason Fan Cheer Guide" of last year inspired the admins to do something, anything, to bump up the enthusiasm of our fans during games. One can only hope! :headphones:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I want to start off by saying that I don’t condone underaged drinking and students can have a lot of fun without alcohol. But I think there is a direct correlation to Mason’s strict enforcement of drinking and the excitement level at games.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I want to start off by saying that I don’t condone underaged drinking and students can have a lot of fun without alcohol. But I think there is a direct correlation to Mason’s strict enforcement of drinking and the excitement level at games.
Direct correlation? Er... I find that spurious. My observations began in 1987 when Mason first emerged as a top contender in the CAA. I was a student. My first game attended was vs. Richmond—at the time, a vaunted
and maligned rival. Mason won that pivtol game.

The fans in the student sections were raucous. Neither my friends nor myself drank before the game and I noticed no inebriated fellow fans. However, the way we supported the team back then struck a chord with me that resonates to this day. Even as Ernie Nestor wrecked our team and Paul Westhead found very limited success, the only constant was the enthusiasm of the fans. The Patriot Center was loud when the players needed us the most.

In fact, for a few years after becoming a season ticket holder, I would stand in the student section (all of us stood during game-play) and cheer wildly with them for our team. Again, I didn't need alcohol or other substance to stoke my fan-fever.

Our fans have lost their way. Part of that has been institutional, such as the zealous enforcement of "proper" fan decorum from EBA Gestapo Minister, Reich's Field Marshall Jay Marsh. Part of it is losing and the coaching disaster known as the virus Paul Hewitt. And another part is that we need to leave our mobile computing devises in a box at the stadium entrance.

Only an intense A10 season concluding with a winner-take-all final regular season game will set our fans back on course to be rowdy and tenacious during games. Until then...

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gold room was accomadating (can’t spell) tonight and I appreciate it. The Russians of American tasted the borsch and went to bed sad tonight

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate the Mascot/logo.

First, they never should have got rid of Gunston. But if they did want to move on from him, they should have made the mascot an Eagle. Eagles are a patriotic symbol and obviously we are the Patriots. You could incorporate an eagle easier into merchandise opposed to that scary looking patriot.

Maybe people wouldn’t think Mason sold out with the naming rights of Eagle Bank Arena if we actually had an eagle as a mascot.

I get it, this topic is tired and ran its course. But this 2-week break is boring!

- The student section could be called Eagle's UnitE. (stupid play on words) laugh all you want.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate the Mascot/logo.

First, they never should have got rid of Gunston. But if they did want to move on from him, they should have made the mascot an Eagle. Eagles are a patriotic symbol and obviously we are the Patriots. You could incorporate an eagle easier into merchandise opposed to that scary looking patriot.

Maybe people wouldn’t think Mason sold out with the naming rights of Eagle Bank Arena if we actually had an eagle as a mascot.

I get it, this topic is tired and ran its course. But this 2-week break is boring!

- The student section could be called Eagle's UnitE. (stupid play on words) laugh all you want.
Gunston looked like a crack baby but I agree the Patriot isn't really better.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Patriot is similar to Sparty. Its way better than Gunston. Nobody thinks we sold out to Eagle Bank. If they do, then they should get head examined. The big bigger issue is why are we Patriots with green and Gold colors? This, imo, is worse than the any mascot issue.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Patriot is similar to Sparty. Its way better than Gunston. Nobody thinks we sold out to Eagle Bank. If they do, then they should get head examined. The big bigger issue is why are we Patriots with green and Gold colors? This, imo, is worse than the any mascot issue.

Because green and gold were popular at the time?

Funny story, Penn State's colors were originally Pink and Black (also popular at the time), but by the end of their first football season, the pink got sunbleached white and thus the school colors were changed after two years.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I also think the colors are stupid lol. How did they decide Green and Gold and Patriots? Was the original Mascot George Mason himself with a green jacket and gold buttons?

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think both the colors and the nickname were put up to vote by students. But don't quote me on that

I HATED Gunston. Glad its gone.

In addition to being called the Patriots with green and gold, we can't even use the same green across all sports, uniforms, etc. I'm partial to the Oakland A's color scheme.

Somewhere on this board there is a post of mine from the day after we announced we were moving to the A10 that the time was perfect to change our colors to red, white and blue. oh well.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think both the colors and the nickname were put up to vote by students. But don't quote me on that

I HATED Gunston. Glad its gone.

In addition to being called the Patriots with green and gold, we can't even use the same green across all sports, uniforms, etc. I'm partial to the Oakland A's color scheme.

Somewhere on this board there is a post of mine from the day after we announced we were moving to the A10 that the time was perfect to change our colors to red, white and blue. oh well.
I feel like sticking with two colors is easier from a branding/marketing perspective.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
and yet we've struggled with that since the late 90s
Well I mean yeah we need to pick two colors and a specific shade for each. And what we call ourselves is all over the map. But having three primary colors may be a bit much.

Mason32

Starter
Isn't there a sad story about how the colors are green and gold because they got their first court from William & Mary or something?