Gameday Experience

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"Retire" Mason's leader of the Basketball Gestapo, Reich Field Marsball Jay Marsh. Then maybe the student fans can have fun again! That man is an incredible "General Downer." If he had his way, the students would sit on high, straight-backed wooden chairs with no finish resulting in splinters on one's butt if one even lifts a cheek to fart! :buckteeth:
I’ve always heard this about him but have never myself experienced it. Do you have any better examples on what he does?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’ve always heard this about him but have never myself experienced it. Do you have any better examples on what he does?
Yeah, he's often barking at the students to tone themselves down. Last season, he was the ONLY staff member who didn't appreciate my "Fan Cheer Guide" for the Homecoming game. He was very nasty to me when I asked him if I could hand them out to the students.

I spoke to an administrator about him being grumpy and gruff and she stated, "Yeah,. I know.
Jay Marsh is... Jay Marsh."

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah, he's often barking at the students to tone themselves down. Last season, he was the ONLY staff member who didn't appreciate my "Fan Cheer Guide" for the Homecoming game. He was very nasty to me when I asked him if I could hand them out to the students.

I spoke to an administrator about him being grumpy and gruff and she stated, "Yeah,. I know.
Jay Marsh is... Jay Marsh."
Term Limits are a good thing.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Speaking of that, Have you seen any movement on the Fan Cheer Guide?
None. Zach Bolno seemed to be all about it if it could be "cleaned up." However, I suspect someone put the lid on it. Zach eventually referred me to Andy Ruge and Andy ignored me. So, if I choose (and I were able to gather some minions to assist, as well as secure the financing) I would have to revert to running the Cheer Guide as a rogue operation. Then I would have to thwart The EBA Gestapo (i.e. Reich's Field Marshall Jay Marsh). That's a lot of espionage for only one subversive Patriot freedom-fighter to handle.

The bureaucratic dynamic is interesting. All of the staff that I spoke with stated that we desperately need something like the Mason Fan Cheer Guide. Then one, maybe two, of the higher-ups condemn it to the dungeon. Zach told me that there may be too much "liability" for the Athletic Dept. to swallow or "bulletin board" material for opposing teams. In addition, Mason doesn't want to appear to be endorsing derisive or potentially offensive behavior directed toward Mason's opponents (such as, "You suck!"). Therefore, any organized "cheers" must originate and be nurtured organically.

Observing that the vast majority of student fans spend the lion's share of a game with their asses welded to the bleachers and their noses smudging their mobile phone screens, I think the only way to effectively reach them is to design an App that contains the appropriate game-time cheers and chants. Alas, then I'd have to find a way to get the students to download the App and use it. Uhhhhhh-hmmmmphhhhh. :lookingdown:

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
None. Zach Bolno seemed to be all about it if it could be "cleaned up." However, I suspect someone put the lid on it. Zach eventually referred me to Andy Ruge and Andy ignored me. So, if I choose (and I were able to gather some minions to assist, as well as secure the financing) I would have to revert to running the Cheer Guide as a rogue operation. Then I would have to thwart The EBA Gestapo (i.e. Reich's Field Marshall Jay Marsh). That's a lot of espionage for only one subversive Patriot freedom-fighter to handle.

The bureaucratic dynamic is interesting. All of the staff that I spoke with stated that we desperately need something like the Mason Fan Cheer Guide. Then one, maybe two, of the higher-ups condemn it to the dungeon. Zach told me that there may be too much "liability" for the Athletic Dept. to swallow or "bulletin board" material for opposing teams. In addition, Mason doesn't want to appear to be endorsing derisive or potentially offensive behavior directed toward Mason's opponents (such as, "You suck!"). Therefore, any organized "cheers" must originate and be nurtured organically.

Observing that the vast majority of student fans spend the lion's share of a game with their asses welded to the bleachers and their noses smudging their mobile phone screens, I think the only way to effectively reach them is to design an App that contains the appropriate game-time cheers and chants. Alas, then I'd have to find a way to get the students to download the App and use it. Uhhhhhh-hmmmmphhhhh. :lookingdown:

Not surprised about the roadblocks and eventually something like this being shot down. You hinted where it comes from being shot down from, and it makes perfect sense that would be it.

That said, its interesting that the student section hasn't had something like this from the G-Force or previously from the Patriot Platoon in recent years. I remember years ago (maybe 08-09/10ish) they used to hand out little flyers on the seats throughout the student section. The cheers weren't much "Stand Up clap clap" or "You can't guard him clap clap", but it was at least something. I don't remember who would have help lead that back in that day. Maybe Greg Kennedy remembers?

If nothing more, the students can have something Mason produced and "appropriate" to at least look at

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Anything of value that will increase student interest in the team will have to be a grass roots campaign. It will not come from the administration.

Forget running anything through them. If 3,000 students want to cheer something, they will and there is nothing the administration can do if they disagree with it.

I mean for god's sake, people still chant "Bullshit" after bad ref calls. You think if someone went to Jay marsh and asked "Hey, is it okay if we yell Bullshit after every bad call?" and Jay would reply "Sure, that's a great idea!"

Of course not. We win games, more students show up and eventually a culture will develop. Having a cheer guide is a great way to at least give some sort of unified guidance until that happens on a regular basis by itself. Just don't try to go through the administration.

They are good people but it is not exactly an environment that lends itself to creativity, energy and extra effort. I like Jay Marsh. But he is a dinosaur that still has carte blanche to do whatever he wants to do ....... or not want to do. Anyone who questions him is shot down.

By George and GK are great examples of fan based efforts.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Asking for forgiveness not permission is always the best methodology.

I'm not sure where those cheer sheets came from or who spearheaded, but they were useless anyway when students were more interested.

Just surprising even the school supported fan group like the Gforce hasn't had some sort of flyer considering they used to do that sort of thing.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Asking for forgiveness not permission is always the best methodology.

I'm not sure where those cheer sheets came from or who spearheaded, but they were useless anyway when students were more interested.

Just surprising even the school supported fan group like the Gforce hasn't had some sort of flyer considering they used to do that sort of thing.

It would seem beneficial if the G-Force, Cheerleaders and Green Machine all got together and coordinated their efforts, but I’m not holding my breath that this is going to happen.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It would seem beneficial if the G-Force, Cheerleaders and Green Machine all got together and coordinated their efforts, but I’m not holding my breath that this is going to happen.
It happened back in like 2010/2011....someone created cheer sheets and put them on all of the seats in the student section. To be honest, most students immediately threw them on the ground or crumpled them up and tossed them in the air. It was always a group of about 10-20 kids who started and led all chants, then the rest of the students would just follow suit. We'd shout over the cheerleaders because their chants often times were very random and disjointed - even they would then follow suit.

Granted, this is back when L was still around and the program was in a much better place. It's just going to take consistent winning again for students to show up and actually give a s***.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
☝️ is how it starts. From the student.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know I know the athletic department doesn’t get it. I have asked and been blown off. How hard can this be?? Again just bush league and embarrassing for 1500 students to be sitting on their butts. Many a time the students and green machine our out of sync just saying defense defense...embarrassing!

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How come weird division 2 schools offer semester tuition or a car for their half court game and we offer jimmy johns sandwiches?! I know both of our prize folks are Nats folks but they are both horrible

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
How come weird division 2 schools offer semester tuition or a car for their half court game and we offer jimmy johns sandwiches?! I know both of our prize folks are Nats folks but they are both horrible

im curious what schools did that? I’ve always wondered why mason isn’t more creative but I’m curious what schools offered that stuff for sake of comparison.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
im curious what schools did that? I’ve always wondered why mason isn’t more creative but I’m curious what schools offered that stuff for sake of comparison.
Oklahoma and Nevada off the top of the head.

Looking now and I see more: Belmont, Loyola Marymount, ball st , etc

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oklahoma and Nevada off the top of the head.

Looking now and I see more: Belmont, Loyola Marymount, ball st , etc

well they aren’t division 2, :chuckle:

that said. No clue, probably a question for someone in the ad. My only guess is they got some sort of big sponsorship.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Are you talking about half court shots? The Jimmy Johns promotion was for making foul shots and threes. Those are too makeable to give away cars!

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
well they aren’t division 2, :chuckle:

that said. No clue, probably a question for someone in the ad. My only guess is they got some sort of big sponsorship.
Oh you want me to find division 2. I thought you wanted comparable schools. Only did quick search for D1. About 15 d2 schools pop up.

Edit I misspoke first. Many division 1 and division 2 schools offer free tuition