Gameday Experience

Patriotfan49

Starter
My guess is it's the 288,000+ people who come to the Pat Center for things besides the basketball games (and of course that doesn't count the graduations that are held there).

The same outdated sound system, lighting and capabilities are there for these things as well......

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And before you go all crazy on me, I think you will find in my post that I said the school should replace the lighting, sound system and scoreboard when (and it better be when) they replace the roof.

But I'm also sure that I'm not the only one who cares more about the game itself than the bells and whistles at a venue. As long as I have a good sight line and a competitive game, I'm happy.

I've been to plenty of stadia and arenas both old and new, dilapidated and state of the art, and it really doesn't matter to me if there are raccoons dropping on my seat and concrete is falling from the mezzanine level, or if I have a personal recliner and a laser light show during the player intros.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You're going to a sporting event, at a sporting arena...not dinner. If you want chipotle, go there after. Eating a massive burrito in the seats probably isn't that easy of a thing to do.

The food could be upgraded, but expecting shib like panera, chipotle or gourmet burgers is a bit ridiculous. If you won't pay 5$ for a BBQ sandwich....why would you be for bringing in 8-10$ burgers?

Wow you're an idiot. The only thing ridiculous is your can't be done attitude. Tell that to all of the MLB, NFL, NHL, NCAAF, and NBA teams who go above and beyond to provide their guests with diverse and gourmet food items. Its been proven in stadiums that if you put time and effort in to providing good food then people will pay for it. Throw in the fact that we live in one of the richest parts of America and people often eat well here and are willing to spend more money on food, the demand is high for great food. Its time the AD and school realizes this.

Food is definitely a top priority for people and families at a game. Food is part of the whole game experience. Watching your kid get ice cream all over their face is priceless and part of the whole experience. Sharing a bite of a huge turkey leg with your girlfriend, or friend, is part of the experience. Your beyond dumb to think If a college kid or a group of 25 year old guys coming to a 7pm or 1pm game wouldn't tear in to a Chipotle Burrito if given the chance. If I knew Chipotle, Panera, Five Guys, or Quiznos was at the Pat Center I would get that shit every time I was there. Absolutely I would eat a Burrito in my seat and then stare at the cheerleaders like a burrito eating boss with Guac all over my face. I'd spend $15 on a Burrito or Five guys burger and fries before I'd spend $10 on a lame a** chicken tender basket.

Also, half of our games are at 7pm. That means people are usually traveling and stuck in traffic for anywhere from 30 mins to an hour to come see a game and may not get a chance to stop for dinner. If a dad is going home from work to scoop the family up and head to the PatCenter for a 7pm tip I guarantee over half of those families have not eaten dinner yet and will very much spend their money on a Five guys burger, Burrito, or Turkey sub at the game.

But I wouldn't stick to criticizing people's recommendations on here, you are really bad at it.

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I wouldn't mind the food so much if it was consistent. My fiancee and I usually get 2 pretzels and a coke to share. It's a friggin crap shoot as to whether you'll get a moist, soft pretzel with a crispy exterior and plenty of salt versus basically what amounts to a tube of sand that sucks any moisture away from your body and has roughly 2.5 salt crystals on the exterior. Basically sometimes they are fresh and delicious, and sometimes they taste like they're from the Nestor era, but all the time they are $4/piece.

Also where did our souvenir cups go? I have a cabinet full of souvenir cups and would love to acquire more even though we "don't need any more cups" and "have too many cups" and "stop getting those stupid cups." If I'm going to pay $5 for 14oz of soda (after ice and the lady fills the soda up half with fizz) I want a damn cup to take home.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Wow you're an idiot. The only thing ridiculous is your can't be done attitude. Tell that to all of the MLB, NFL, NHL, NCAAF, and NBA teams who go above and beyond to provide their guests with diverse and gourmet food items. Its been proven in stadiums that if you put time and effort in to providing good food then people will pay for it. Throw in the fact that we live in one of the richest parts of America and people often eat well here and are willing to spend more money on food, the demand is high for great food. Its time the AD and school realizes this.

Food is definitely a top priority for people and families at a game. Food is part of the whole game experience. Watching your kid get ice cream all over their face is priceless and part of the whole experience. Sharing a bite of a huge turkey leg with your girlfriend, or friend, is part of the experience. Your beyond dumb to think If a college kid or a group of 25 year old guys coming to a 7pm or 1pm game wouldn't tear in to a Chipotle Burrito if given the chance. If I knew Chipotle, Panera, Five Guys, or Quiznos was at the Pat Center I would get that shit every time I was there. Absolutely I would eat a Burrito in my seat and then stare at the cheerleaders like a burrito eating boss with Guac all over my face. I'd spend $15 on a Burrito or Five guys burger and fries before I'd spend $10 on a lame a** chicken tender basket.

Also, half of our games are at 7pm. That means people are usually traveling and stuck in traffic for anywhere from 30 mins to an hour to come see a game and may not get a chance to stop for dinner. If a dad is going home from work to scoop the family up and head to the PatCenter for a 7pm tip I guarantee over half of those families have not eaten dinner yet and will very much spend their money on a Five guys burger, Burrito, or Turkey sub at the game.

But I wouldn't stick to criticizing people's recommendations on here, you are really bad at it.

Keep dreaming if you think Mason is on par with pro teams and high level college programs. There is a big difference between food options at mlb and nfl stadiums.....and the patriot center. If you really are that out of touch to expect top notch professional level accommodations at a bottom feeder a10 school, and options that most peers don't have....that's your own unrealistic expectations and problem.

If sharing a giant turkey leg with your boyfriend is part of your take on the experience, by all means...but expecting random shit like that or to be on par with pro teams is stupid. Chicken tenders, nachos, pizza and hotdogs etc are the standard for most college sports. Even the giants like Syracuse, duke etc share the same things on their menus. It's also not about would, of course people would eat chipotle if it was there, but the reality and the likelihood of it. I would wager that options like panera and chipotle and the now bankrupt Quiznos haven't even been installed in any stadium.....but that won't stop you from bitching about it.

It seems they may be better off focusing on providing a quality product, and making what they have more consistent and better quality. Because the options they have meet the generic stadium food options, but it may not be that good every time.

Last edited:

Steve33

Sixth Man
to me food is food, I usually get a hot dog and a drink, if Im feeling really adventurous i get an ice cream cone in the second half. Yeah it would be nice to have better food options but its the Patriot Center not Madison Square Garden. As for the "game day experience" it is very stale. The same things over and over and over again. The same songs played, the same lame video board things, the same "games" played at timeouts. I would really like it if there was a designated visiting team fan section also. i dont mind if there are visiting teams fans there cheering for their school. I think it adds to the atmosphere and makes it better but sell them tickets in one / two sections only. maybe in the corner behind the visiting teams bench, Sec 105-106.

I would like to see retired jerseys or a Mason HOF type of thing, to honor the Mason greats of the past. Something prevalent that is displayed inside the seating area. It would be nice to see perks for the season ticket holders. Last year they gave away the backpacks, pennants, and had the fan night the last game of the season where they drew seat locations and that seat won a prize. I won a Mason fathead, are they even doing that tomorrow night? my guess is no. Someone else said here, coupons for food and things like that, those things go a long way for fans. Im hoping once they sell the naming rights to the PC things might change alittle bit but until then we are probably stuck with the same old food, drinks and giveaways.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You're going to a sporting event, at a sporting arena...not dinner. If you want chipotle, go there after. Eating a massive burrito in the seats probably isn't that easy of a thing to do.

The food could be upgraded, but expecting shib like panera, chipotle or gourmet burgers is a bit ridiculous. If you won't pay 5$ for a BBQ sandwich....why would you be for bringing in 8-10$ burgers?

As a father of two, i would love to head directly to the game 45 mins early to feed my kids chipolte and shoot hoops or play games with them before tip. Two birds one stone. Thanks GMU for the experience.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
As a father of two, i would love to head directly to the game 45 mons early to feed my lids chipolte and shoot hoops or play games with them before tip. Two birds one stone. Thanks GMU for the experience.

Again, understood. Nobody doesn't like Chipotle. However expecting to be at the patriot center and holding it against them because it's not is unrealistic.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Again, understood. Nobody doesn't like Chipotle. However expecting to be at the patriot center and holding it against them because it's not is unrealistic.

Nobody is holding it against anyone. All we are saying is, it is possible, and a food upgrade is needed, during the games. If the gameday experience can help parents feed their families at the games with quality items, they would be making a large community happy. And we want that large community part of the Mason family.

KAOriginal

All-American
You don't have outstanding food choices at Patriot Center, because it s a losing proposition for the OUTSIDE restaurants to staff, cook and prepare high value meals for little return, if any.

If we were a blue blood, packing a full 10k+ every game...you might see it, but a random Wednesday night against Fordham? With maybe 3,000 people in attendance...no way.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You don't have outstanding food choices at Patriot Center, because it s a losing proposition for the OUTSIDE restaurants to staff, cook and prepare high value meals for little return, if any.

If we were a blue blood, packing a full 10k+ every game...you might see it, but a random Wednesday night against Fordham? With maybe 3,000 people in attendance...no way.

I disagree. You can easily make a burger with a Krispy Kreme doughnut bun. Or brisket nachos. Those two items alone will bring in 100 extra fans. Even chicken wraps would sell. If you dont sell out, so what, not like its lobster.

why not get GMU dining services to operate this to where students can use their Mason money or whatever they use these days to purchase such items only at basketball games. Food can draw of them in also.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

KA, not disagreeing necessarily, but does the fact that so many more people come to the Patriot Center for things other than Mason basketball make any difference in the equation?

The numbers in a recent post showed that our arena draws like an elite venue (for its size) even if its main tenant is about the furthest thing from elite.

It's been a while since my kids were young enough to enjoy the circus or Disney on Ice, and I have no idea if people coming to concerts/shows would eat at the arena, but we have almost 300,000 visitors coming through the turnstiles annually.

Seems that we should be able to do better with food options and a bunch of other stuff that was an afterthought when Merten was running sh!t.

KAOriginal

All-American
KA, not disagreeing necessarily, but does the fact that so many more people come to the Patriot Center for things other than Mason basketball make any difference in the equation?

The numbers in a recent post showed that our arena draws like an elite venue (for its size) even if its main tenant is about the furthest thing from elite.

It's been a while since my kids were young enough to enjoy the circus or Disney on Ice, and I have no idea if people coming to concerts/shows would eat at the arena, but we have almost 300,000 visitors coming through the turnstiles annually.

Seems that we should be able to do better with food options and a bunch of other stuff that was an afterthought when Merten was running sh!t.

Well is the PC still "run" by the University. Back when I worked in radio in DC in the 90s, the PC was managed by a Cap Centre Mgmt. So they were making the decisions about what food, etc was available, which at the time was similar standard fare was their call.

And again...if there's no or not enough revenue...the restaurant people are not going to fool with it.

I do not know about difference between hoops and other attractions. Again, if it is still managed outside the University, I would assume mgmt knows what will and will not work from a revenue stand point....

KAOriginal

All-American
Yep, just like the old days, outside managment: Monumental manages the PC. So they have ALOT of say and knowledge to what goes into the "food selection" of the PC.

“I don’t see other buildings affiliated with campuses ahead of us, certainly not in the United States,” says Patriot Center general manager Barry Geisler. Geisler is employed by Monumental Sports and Entertainment, the company that manages the Patriot Center.

“The Patriot Center’s success reflected in the Pollstar rankings is indicative of the enduring collaboration with Monumental,” says Marc Fournier, executive vice president of Mason’s business services. “The Patriot Center exposes thousands of people to our beautiful campus each and every year. It is rewarding and exciting to be recognized with a worldwide ranking.”

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
its not managed by he school. But the school is the owner and it can tell mgmt to better the food i would think No problem. Selling good food makes a difference.

KAOriginal

All-American
its not managed by he school. But the school is the owner and it can tell mgmt to better the food i would think No problem. Selling good food makes a difference.

Yeah...No. Mason could offer suggestions, but like most business relationships, Mason defers to Monumental's expertise as a venue operator. And obviosuly, right now "high end" food is not in the business plan.

If Leonsis and co. could make more money with high end food...they would......

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Well is the PC still "run" by the University. Back when I worked in radio in DC in the 90s, the PC was managed by a Cap Centre Mgmt. So they were making the decisions about what food, etc was available, which at the time was similar standard fare was their call.

And again...if there's no or not enough revenue...the restaurant people are not going to fool with it.

I do not know about difference between hoops and other attractions. Again, if it is still managed outside the University, I would assume mgmt knows what will and will not work from a revenue stand point....

Yes I'm pretty sure Leonsis' group still manages the arena, which means they're going to do food and everything else as cheaply as possible to maximize profit.

Isn't there some way to find a happy medium between the crap we have now and "gourmet" food?