Gameday Experience

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This entire thread serves as an example of what is wrong with Mason basketball. Fans are more worried about the "experience" and whether or not their kids get some nachos. T-shirts? You've got to be kidding me! I remember visiting Boston Garden back in the day. The floor was imperfect but the Celtics knew just where to lead their man to hit the dead spot that would lead to a turnover. The place was always 90 degrees giving the home team the advantage. The visiting locker room consisted of a dive with nails for opposing players to hang their stuff on. They worried about winning championships, we worry about the "fan experience" for 12 year olds because the product we put on the floor sucks. The sad thing is that only a handful of people will even understand what I am talking about.

Comparing apples to oranges. If you want semi interested fans to become donors, you have to give them an experience. At the least have cool intros. Even the Chicago Bulls saw the value in this. Giveaways, funny videos during timeouts, sumo wrestling at ht, etc, all help control the crowd and keep them entertained. Of coarse winning is the biggest thing but why not make everyone happy in some way?

Last edited:

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think G M U pretty much summed it up. On top of this, I think we also need to throw in more traditions which we severely lack at not just in basketball but a whole University.

Existing Traditions
-Continue turning the backs on the opposing teams starting players.
-Continue saying "suck on that" after sinking back to back free-throws
-I like the "I Believe we will win" chant... when Utah State does it. Not us. I don't want to copy another school. It makes us look pathetic.
-Left/Right Chant even though other schools do it.

New Traditions
-Have the players walk through the student section after EVERY win. They've done this only a few times. I think It would great for the fans but even better for the players. Hypes them up and gives them a rewarding feeling.
-Have creative organized distractions during opposing teams free throws.
-I've always admired the Yankees Roll Call and think it would be cool to bring to Mason. you pretty much chant every starting players name until they acknowledge the fans.
-Do something unique on this first scored Mason basket. Similar to the schools that stay standing until the first basket or Taylor University remaining silent until the 10th point.
-Get our own version of this guy at Mason

Patriotfan49

Starter
There is hardly anything that hasn't been done before, so nixing existing things just because another school does it is stupid. This is the first year in ages that the student turnout has actually been good and they have been vocal and done things, so props to them. Plus for thinking were pathetic for "copying" others....and then all your ideas are pirated from another team......nice. Great thinking.

I have been wanting some changes forever, but if we could only get one thing, it's a new announcer. He is awful, terrible and lame. The one game the other season he was sick or whatever, and we had the new guy it was night and day difference. Get rid of the announcer and his hacks bits.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
really the food is that bad? No burgers or chicken tenders at least?

The food is awful. I tried the chicken tenders and fries this year and its like $10-$12 for a basket of 3 overbreaded tenders and about 25 soggy french fries under them. Awful and too expensive.

I've tried a slice of Paisono's pizza and it just doesn't do it for me, sits there for a longtime under a heat source and is usually dried out. I think a slice is like $4.

They seriously need to look at other options for food cause Red Hot and Blue is good but I'm not paying over $5 for just a BBQ sandwich.

Bring in a Chipotle/Qdoba type place and offer Burritos and Tacos. Bring in a sub place and offer simple turkey, roast beef sandwiches, etc. Bring in a Gourmet burger joint.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As for the announcer, maybe turning his trebbile down would help his annoying high pitched voice.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe they are baking the Paisano's pizza on site now to avoid some of those problems, but I could be mistaken. And they tried doing Paisano's subs last season but I'm not sure if that's still a thing or not.

Since the ChickFilA sandwiches cost less than the very ordinary chicken tenders, why would any of you buy tenders?

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe they are baking the Paisano's pizza on site now to avoid some of those problems, but I could be mistaken. And they tried doing Paisano's subs last season but I'm not sure if that's still a thing or not.

Since the ChickFilA sandwiches cost less than the very ordinary chicken tenders, why would any of you buy tenders?

Oh yea..... the Chic Fil A sandwiches are dried out as well. Had one last year and had to buy a coke to wash it down with.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Its obvious that winning cures all ills, but its nice there's a thread where we can talk about something other than when Hewitt is going to be fired or U of Miami basketball.

Got to win first, and win consistently -- at least when it comes to probably the most important aspect of the gameday experience: student involvement.

Would be nice to see the school put some money into the lighting, scoreboard, sound system (and apparently broadband and wi-fi access) once they are forced to redo the roof. That should take care of their end of the bargain.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
This entire thread serves as an example of what is wrong with Mason basketball. Fans are more worried about the "experience" and whether or not their kids get some nachos. T-shirts? You've got to be kidding me! I remember visiting Boston Garden back in the day. The floor was imperfect but the Celtics knew just where to lead their man to hit the dead spot that would lead to a turnover. The place was always 90 degrees giving the home team the advantage. The visiting locker room consisted of a dive with nails for opposing players to hang their stuff on. They worried about winning championships, we worry about the "fan experience" for 12 year olds because the product we put on the floor sucks. The sad thing is that only a handful of people will even understand what I am talking about.

I thought you didn't like the NBA...

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We just got a "new" scoreboard a few years ago so I doubt that is high on their list of replacing. It sucks because we definitely need replay and playback abilities for the crowd. With that ability comes so much potential for other graphic designs and highlight reels that they could use to spice up the game.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think we all agree that the product on the floor is brutal. But "Larry Bird isn't walking through that door" and this isn't the 1980s anymore. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), sports is entertainment and winning isn't the only thing that drives tickets sales. Imagine what a great fan experience + a winning team would be like? Even in 2010-2011, was the fan experience memorable? I don't believe we set attendance records that year. IMO, we have enough threads about the poor product on the floor, one thread on initiatives happening (or not happening) in the stands is ok.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We just got a "new" scoreboard a few years ago so I doubt that is high on their list of replacing. It sucks because we definitely need replay and playback abilities for the crowd. With that ability comes so much potential for other graphic designs and highlight reels that they could use to spice up the game.

Our new scoreboard was intended to be a stop-gap before a video board can be put in, then it will put in the RAC (at least that's what our old AD said).

Dawgs99

Starter

You can't be serious with this shit? You can obviously read the title of this thread, if you don't like the thread why post in it? Everyone on these boards is well aware of the current state of our program. Can we not have one thread where we don't have to re-hash the same ol' shit? I'm pretty sure you pulled this last year when you went out of your way to piss all over the Bryon Allen appreciation thread because the team sucked. Lord knows we have 100 other threads where we can vent our displeasure.

IMO the 2 most pressing needs are a new announcer and an upgraded sound system. I might put the sounds system as #1. First off its an eye sore, and second, half of the games this year it buzzed the whole time. Also new seats with some padding and cup holders would be nice.

Last edited:
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
More creepy t-shirt guy and less of that horrible announcer.

Patriotfan49

Starter
The food is awful. I tried the chicken tenders and fries this year and its like $10-$12 for a basket of 3 overbreaded tenders and about 25 soggy french fries under them. Awful and too expensive.

I've tried a slice of Paisono's pizza and it just doesn't do it for me, sits there for a longtime under a heat source and is usually dried out. I think a slice is like $4.

They seriously need to look at other options for food cause Red Hot and Blue is good but I'm not paying over $5 for just a BBQ sandwich.

Bring in a Chipotle/Qdoba type place and offer Burritos and Tacos. Bring in a sub place and offer simple turkey, roast beef sandwiches, etc. Bring in a Gourmet burger joint.

You're going to a sporting event, at a sporting arena...not dinner. If you want chipotle, go there after. Eating a massive burrito in the seats probably isn't that easy of a thing to do.

The food could be upgraded, but expecting shib like panera, chipotle or gourmet burgers is a bit ridiculous. If you won't pay 5$ for a BBQ sandwich....why would you be for bringing in 8-10$ burgers?

Patriotfan49

Starter
I just wonder who is involved in the upgrade decisions. It seems what they actually do decided to funnel money into, really doesn't change much of anything. You can talk about more concourse space, toilets and hand rails....but that doesn't move a needle for most anybody under 65. Their attempts to upgrade just seem misguided.

Then of course the bs that we are told from the AD. Well see how it goes with Edwards but the crock that TOC and minions gave us as excuses or reasonings why they were so behind were really weak. Wonder when they bust out that sweet video board they bought, but is waiting for the roof to be reinforced....so in the mean time let's buy a circa 1990s board to hold us over....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just wonder who is involved in the upgrade decisions. It seems what they actually do decided to funnel money into, really doesn't change much of anything. You can talk about more concourse space, toilets and hand rails....but that doesn't move a needle for most anybody under 65. Their attempts to upgrade just seem misguided.

My guess is it's the 288,000+ people who come to the Pat Center for things besides the basketball games (and of course that doesn't count the graduations that are held there).

gmubball09

Walk-On
It would be nasty if we can get George The Patriot to ride in on a super loud chopper.

Would totally be sick! However, ventilation in that building is one huge issue that would need to be fixed prior to that. The exhaust from one of those things would give a player (or a fan) an asthma attack (kinda like what happened to ryan when that happened at a road game).

I haven't been able to watch a live game in years. I'm not sure if the Patriot is someone who actually wants to do it, or, if its a cheerleader doing it. I've been out of the loop since I left. Has he done any routines or anything like that still with the Cheerleaders besides the homecoming game pyramid?