Gameday Experience

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Ahh, forget it, just build a whole new arena.

That's what should happen, IMHO.

In a perfect world, we could keep the Patriot Center where it is -- no sense tearing down a venue that generates revenue from all the concerts/shows -- while building a new arena elsewhere on campus.

We obviously don't need a 10,000-seat building for our basketball teams, but we do need one with more modern conveniences.

Given what it would cost to retrofit the Patriot Center with bells and whistles, wouldn't it make more sense to build a new arena like Towson's, but bump up the capacity from 5,000 to 7,500?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Richmond has a stand up section abover their new huge video boards....love the idea of a party deck/beer garden some place with a view of the floor!!

Yes, the renovated Robins Center is terrific. Party decks in all four corners ... too bad most of their fans are too old and decrepit to drink anything but prune juice.

sigmanorm

Starter
New arena is probably the eventual approach, however with the budget the way it is now, they can't commit to any long term debts. Biggest issue with renovation is the impact on concerts. We can't take a lot of seats out. One idea is to renovate one end that won't impact end stage setups for concerts. I would remodel the area above the band to be a restaurant/bar area they could sell.

sigmanorm

Starter
upload_2015-3-3_13-50-27.png

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh yea..... the Chic Fil A sandwiches are dried out as well. Had one last year and had to buy a coke to wash it down with.
I think you're just being a complainer now. I've gotten them multiple times and never had an issue. Are the prices too high? Yes. But the quality of the food meets or exceeds most sporting venues.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we have to put in a new roof anyway, could we raise the roof and put in skyboxes all the way around the top?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If we have to put in a new roof anyway, could we raise the roof and put in skyboxes all the way around the top?

Doesn't make any sense to sink millions into extensively renovating a 30-year-old building, especially since we would likely lose concert/show revenue during the period that the PC was closed.

Richmond had the luxury of renovating because their arena isn't used for anything other than basketball.

They also had the luxury of reducing capacity by about 2,000 seats to make room for the party decks and video boards. We can't do that at the PC because we need the seats for the numerous concerts and shows that sell out.

We need a new modern 7,500-seat arena with suites and other amenities that will help us sell out and create a real, consistent homecourt advantage.

If Towson can afford to build one, so can we.

KAOriginal

All-American
The reality is, the place needs to be rebuilt. It's viable and doing well due to size and location. But at some point "upgrading" will have to happen or Mason will have to find 10 acres nearby on some forgotten Shirley Road holding and build the Larranaga Court at the Va 529 Plan Patriot Center at the Merten Commerce Commons.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Absolutely. I said that,the food could be upgraded. I just think turkey legs, Quiznos, chipotle is a bit unrealistic expectations when you look around at the peers above and below and see they serve the same generic items. Would people eat it if it were there, absolutely.....is it coming to that, probably never. If you want chipotle and turkey legs to double team with your friend, go to chipotle or medieval times.

When I think reasonable upgrades, I would think of something along the lines of brats, good BBQ sandwiches, grilled chicken etc would be much more reasonable of things they could both do, would make sense for vendors and make sure that they are worth while quality.

Whats unrealistic about having a taco or burrito stand in a stadium? Whats unrealistic about a sub shop in a stadium? NOTHING. You're an idiot to think it can't be done. Many stadiums do it around the US. It doesn't matter if it is an NBA or NCAA Basketball game.... food is huge at a game.

Its just a matter of configuring sales and taking in to account how many subs or tacos a place will sell with 3,000 people or 6,000 people at a game. There are formulas for these places to configure just how much food to prepare based on attendance. Each stadium has cost control plans.

Talk to any executive for a large food corporation and anything can be done in the realm of Gameday food.

I'm not even talking about other events that the PatCenter is used for outside of basketball games. You have women's games, disney shows, graduations, concerts, circus shows, etc. where they attract thousands of people. The demand generated from these events, outside of basketball, should garner enough demand for better food for a better experience.

These types of foods are truly realistic and doable. Its just the fact the management companies are too damn lazy in the past to fix the food situation. I'm not boycotting any events due to the food situation at the PatCenter. OMG. All I'm saying is they could use out of the box food types and selections for a popular venue that has many events there yearly.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not referring to you. I totally agree with your stance. Tweeders opinion is the one that is absurd.

LOL. You are a moron if you think a sub place or a burrito place is "absurd" in a stadium.

I see you have never taken a marketing class in your entire life.

KAOriginal

All-American
Whats unrealistic about having a taco or burrito stand in a stadium?.

It's racist, that's why. Bunch of high dollar white people paying premium for unauthentic, yet stereotypical latino foods. Michelle Obama would sh*t herself feeding kids that trash.

(However, yes those should be the doable "upgrades" to the type of food available at the PC.)

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think you're just being a complainer now. I've gotten them multiple times and never had an issue. Are the prices too high? Yes. But the quality of the food meets or exceeds most sporting venues.

Not complaining.... I just expect my $6 Chic Fil A sandwich to be the same quality as if I were in a regular Chic Fil A store. Thats not much to ask with all of the quality controls in place for their product right? Am I asking too much? Especially since I am paying more for this sandwich at this venue rather than at a Chic Fil A store.

Being juicy, hot, and delicious is NOT TOO much to ask for my $6 is it!!???

Last edited:

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's racist, that's why. Bunch of high dollar white people paying premium for unauthentic, yet stereotypical latino foods. Michelle Obama would sh*t herself feeding kids that trash.

(However, yes those should be the doable "upgrades" to the type of food available at the PC.)

Its not like were are voyaging new terrain here with food. Jesus. Subs, Tacos, Brats, are all doable options and are f**king delicious.

Oh and I like Cheerleaders and Masonettes with my tacos. Except for Big Red

Sons of Mason

Preferred Walk-On
Not complaining.... I just expect my $6 Chic Fil A sandwich to be the same quality as if I were in a regular Chic Fil A store. Thats not much to ask with all of the quality controls in place for their product right? Am I asking too much? Especially since I am paying more for this sandwich at this venue rather than at a Chic Fil A store.

Being juicy, hot, and delicious is NOT TOO much to ask for my $6 is it!!???

Unlikely as the none of that food is cooked on the spot. I believe it's sent from the on campus chic fila or nearby location.

Patriotfan49

Starter
LOL. You are a moron if you think a sub place or a burrito place is "absurd" in a stadium.

I see you have never taken a marketing class in your entire life.

Is that your stock response to somebody? Idiot, moron blah blah....

Again, the simple fact of burritos or subs is not undoable in the sense of it, but given our specific situation and management it is. Also yes, Chipotle and subway is not coming to the patriot center any time soon.....it'll be more likely to be a one off like the Johnson Centers sub connection or something equivalent for burritos.....where I'm sure those are going to be poor quality as well and you'll complain about them.

I understand people eat at the games and it's easy for some situations. But expecting restaurant quality isn't really feasible, at the end of the day it's still an arena and that should temper expectations...food should be passable, which it seems it is. If you really want the best, go elsewhere to eat.

Last edited: