Game 7: Old Dominion University, Wednesday, Dec 3rd, 7:30 PM, NO TV

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Looking at the ODU boards from last night:

LOL Mason feed has a hot mic on during the commercial and they are discussing Arledge

"Hewitt said he ended up at ODU because a clerical mistake, he was originally going to go to James Madison. Hewitt doesn't allow anyone to transfer in the conference or to an OOC opponent on the schedule"

Lamar Butler:
"Why would he go to ODU to average 7 points per game, I don't get it man"

Well, good guards win you games down the stretch, and although I don't mind any of the guards we have now being in the program (currently), collectively ours have to be in bottom quarter of DI programs.

I actually want Edwards and Gray to play more, and let's face it, they are average DI guards at best, despite both having been around for a long while.

It's also no mystery why our perimeter defense is bad. We have a top-heavy team of bigs that aren't going to be able to defend anyone on the perimeter. We have two guards (Edwards and Holloway) that anyone can shoot right over.

Yes, some of these players are boneheads. I have sit behind the bench many times where I heard Hewitt tell them to do one thing, and they did the exact opposite. Larranaga wins 12-14 games with this team at best (that'll still beat Hewitt's 7-9).

But in your fourth year, this is all on Hewitt. The EASIEST position to recruit in the DMV (and elsewhere) are slightly undersized 2's or 6'5" wings who can score a little bit. Hewitt could have brought in at least one of these guys years ago, but instead opted to bring in Jokoloji.

Plus Hewitt had guards who could win games down the stretch last year, and you saw how he underachieved.

His coaching is awful. As 52 mentions, him subbing in Copes (a career 3ppg guy) for the offensive end of a O/D is beyond ludicrous.

Hewitt embodies the typical major HC who can't recruit role players, doesn't take the time to properly gameplan for his opponents, and is too stubborn in his ways. Ironically he represents the kind of coach hungry mid-majors like we used to be used to feast on.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hewitt embodies the typical major HC who can't recruit role players, doesn't take the time to properly gameplan for his opponents, and is too stubborn in his ways. Ironically he represents the kind of coach hungry mid-majors like we used to be used to feast on.

Amen

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with a lot of the other comments on here. I thought this was the best energy and execution we've had this year. Moore and Porter were studs and pretty much everyone played a decent game. Unfortunately we refused to defend the peremeter down the stretch and even in scenarios where we needed a quick bucket we defaulted back to a high screen, dribble drive, isolation play. I'd be happy to donate a dry erase board to Coach if that is the reason we don't ever have set plays. I'll even spring for magnets instead of a marker if he wants.

Yet again, a wasted solid, energetic crowd last night. Shame.

MasonJar

Walk-On
Jones took over a program that was an absolute train wreck last year and won 18 games -- a 13 game improvement over the previous year, one of the biggest turn-arounds in the country. He was using a few remnants and walk-ons. Heck, when practice started last year, Jones didn't have enough players to scrimmage.

Now they're 6-1 and, as one ODU fan put it, their season is already a success -- they've beaten the Virginia teams on their schedule, vcu, Richmond and GMU in Fairfax. Their players aren't that great. It's the coach, pure and simple. Can a coach matter? Ask ODU fans -- or, for that matter, GMU fans.

We can't overlook that they also lost 18 last year. 18-18 is sort of the definition of mediocre. And those "remnants" scored 54 of their 75 points last night.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Cant coach, cant man up and admit his own shortcomings, can't take responsibility, cant adjust, no heart, no fire.

Its infuriating to listen to him toss the players under the bus after an effort from them like that.

Last edited:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Cant coach, cant man up and admit his own shortcomings, can't take responsibility, cant adjust, no heart, no fire.

Its infuriating to listen to him toss the players under the bus after an effort from them like that.

It's sad, but one of my favorite moments of the Paul Hewitt era was when I heard him being interviewed on the radio this past offseason about the issue of whether student-athlete should receive more compensation. Like the games he coaches, he was unprepared for the interview.

The interviewer asked him how much money he made, to which Hewitt responded weakly, "Enough to support my wife and daughters." When reminded that his salary was publicly available and asked again why he would not reveal it, Hewitt continued with weak answers. This really pissed one of the panelists on the show off, who exclaimed "He's too embarrassed to tell us his salary." I loved hearing Hewitt get grilled.

That being said - I'm a fan. If Hewitt had had anything resembling success to that point I'd turn a blind eye to his salary. As it is - guy's making out like a bandit. What's he going to make, $70,000 a win this year?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
BTW, it didn't sound like anyone applauded for Hewitt during the introductions for the ODU game.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The interviewer asked him how much money he made, to which Hewitt responded weakly, "Enough to support my wife and daughters." When reminded that his salary was publicly available and asked again why he would not reveal it, Hewitt continued with weak answers.

I certainly get the Hewitt bashing these days, but this is really reaching, Jim. There's not a coach in the country who would answer that question, and there's not a real journalist who would ever pose it (my hunch is that it was the Junkies who jokingly put him on the spot). Whether it's public record or not, it's simply not a question that should be asked or expected to be answered.

That said, it would be fair game if journalist asked him if he deserved to keep his job or even if he thought he deserved what he was making. At least in that context it points directly to justifying his salary/employment.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I certainly get the Hewitt bashing these days, but this is really reaching, Jim. There's not a coach in the country who would answer that question, and there's not a real journalist who would ever pose it (my hunch is that it was the Junkies who jokingly put him on the spot). Whether it's public record or not, it's simply not a question that should be asked or expected to be answered.

That said, it would be fair game if journalist asked him if he deserved to keep his job or even if he thought he deserved what he was making. At least in that context it points directly to justifying his salary/employment.

I get your point - I'm not even sure the interviewer was aware or even cared about how many wins Hewitt has been picking up lately.

The interviewer was making a broader point about the huge salaries that coaches make. I did agree with him however, so the line of questioning really didn't bother me.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The interviewer was making a broader point about the huge salaries that coaches make. I did agree with him however, so the line of questioning really didn't bother me.

I would love to see Goff or Feinstein ask Hewitt point blank if he feels his job is in jeopardy or why he thinks he deserves to return next season. Of course that will never happen, because there is no media that holds our coach or program accountable for anything.

wijg

Starter
Hewitt is an employee of a state funded University, so his salary is fair game and perfectly fine line of questioning. Nice to see some "media" putting anyone's feet to the fire that isn't a police officer. That is almost non-existent these days.

It would have been awesome if the interviewer had then proceeded to tell the listeners what his salary actually was to shame Hewitt for his response implying he makes just enough to take care of his family.