Game 6: GMU (2-3) at Paradise Jam - Buffalo (1-4) on Monday, November 21, at 1 PM.

ephoops

Starter
DP was nowhere near to bringing the kind of talent we needed to compete in the A10. CKE ceiling is still way higher. DP was a "do more with less" kinda guy but I'll take the higher ceiling, this MTE notwithstanding.
Hmmmm...

DP recruited Oduro.
Kolek is the starting PG the past two years at Marquette.
Jordan Miller is the starting wing at Miami the past two years.

Kolek and Miller would be starting on this team if they had stayed, along with Oduro, That's three of DP"s recruits who would be playing the majority of minutes if they were all on the team. That team also does not lose three games in the MTE. With Kolek and Miller on this team, it's likely a top 3 or 4 team in the A-10.

That said, I am a believer in English. He needs time to develop as a HC.

The transfer portal has completely changed the dynamics of building and integrating players into a team concept on an annual basis. The days of building teams through multiple recruiting classes are over. Successful HC's need to be able to take experienced transfers (many with only one or two years of eligibility left who expect to play right away) and quickly form a cohesive group on both offense and defense.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Hmmmm...

DP recruited Oduro.

Kolek and Miller would be starting on this team if they had stayed, along with Oduro, That's three of DP"s recruits who would be playing the majority of minutes if they were all on the team. That team also does not lose three games in the MTE. With Kolek and Miller on this team, it's likely a top 3 or 4 team in the A-10.

The transfer portal has completely changed the dynamics of building and integrating players into a team concept on an annual basis. The days of building teams through multiple recruiting classes are over. Successful HC's need to be able to take experienced transfers (many with only one or two years of eligibility left who expect to play right away) and quickly form a cohesive group on both offense and defense.
Candy & nuts for dinner with all the ifs and buts flying around in this thread.

DP also had a track record of his best players transferring away at the worst times. Who knows what would have happened. Oduro might not have had a breakout season either.

No point in arguing. I like CKE, I think he can do what he needs to do. The problems this season seem to be cohesion and mental...almost like the players are putting too much pressure on themselves and forgotten that you say "play basketball" not "work basketball."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Come on dude. You're better than this.

I mean, I may be exaggerating but that’s the frustration I feel. Our defense is no better than that 2018 team despite being much more athletic, bigger, and healthier (like I said shades of that Georgia Southern game over and over with this group). No excuse for how disorganized our defense looks.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I mean, I may be exaggerating but that’s the frustration I feel. Our defense is no better than that 2018 team despite being much more athletic, bigger, and healthier (like I said shades of that Georgia Southern game over and over with this group). No excuse for how disorganized our defense looks.
that is not at all what you said. The king/queen of backtracking

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
that is not at all what you said. The king/queen of backtracking

Reuter at least was hedging on screens and recovering into the post. And despite his lack of ability to jump rebounded at a similar rate to our current front court (look it up).

Hell Ojiako’s 0.2 bpg in 14.8 mpg is identical to Reuter’s 0.2 bpg in 18.5 mpg.

Eye test, yes, Ojiako and Henry (I know not a English recruit) bigger, more physical, more athletic, but in terms of raw effectiveness they aren’t really all that better in a +\- sense than a guy with two bad hips.

My statement isn’t about their potential ceiling it’s about how they’re playing right now. We’ve got a serious problem.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Reuter at least was hedging on screens and recovering into the post. And despite his lack of ability to jump rebounded at a similar rate to our current front court (look it up).

Hell Ojiako’s 0.2 bpg in 14.8 mpg is identical to Reuter’s 0.2 bpg in 18.5 mpg.

Eye test, yes, Ojiako and Henry (I know not a English recruit) bigger, more physical, more athletic, but in terms of raw effectiveness they aren’t really all that better in a +\- sense than a guy with two bad hips.

My statement isn’t about their potential ceiling it’s about how they’re playing right now. We’ve got a serious problem.
Ojiako is outplaying Oduro at the moment and looks much better than how Reuter looked the majority of the time.

In addition, Ojiako has played 6 games at Mason, Reuter's .2bpg were over 30+ games. I bet Ojiako ends up with a higher blocks per game number.

If you want to keep this about how the team looks defensively thats one thing and wasn't your original point, but bringing up Reuter and saying he rebounds better than this squad is not good and quite an exaggeration. Reuter averaged 4.2 rebounds a game.

The fact that we are discussing Reuter in any context is sad.

Last edited:
OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'll take Ojiako over Reuter in a heartbeat. Reuter was gassed after one trip up and down the floor. That being said, I wish Jared didn't have the degenerative hip issue. Would have loved to see him healthy and in his prime. His high school vids were pretty impressive and athletic. Just wish DP hadn't said he was A10 POY material, that was a flat out head scratcher.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Nah, he is right. We will say it 1,000,000 times. Unless English does something ridiculous, there is no chance he doesn't get at least 4 years. Like I said, there is even a chance that he gets the courtesy 1 year extension too.

Maybe he will be inspired by George Costanza and drive around Lot K with the Regional Championship trophy.

I am very tired of losing.
Okay, guys. I give. Uncle!

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hmmmm...

DP recruited Oduro.

What you said about DP's recruits at the beginning was spot on.