Game 4: GMU (3-0) at #21 Maryland (3-0) on Wednesday, November 17, at 7PM.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Also, shoutout to whichever of you guys responded to the Maryland fan who congratulated you after the game saying “you guys are going to be really good in the A10 this year” with “thanks. You guys are going to suck in the Big Ten this year.”

Just beautiful.

I could only imagine the amount of street riots that will occur if Hofstra somehow beats Maryland

Green&Gold

Recruit
Think of it this way.....Coach L is like that one girlfriend that left you - she took you places you never been before, was a great cook, she did things in the bedroom that you never knew were possible.

Because she did soooo much for you -- when she left - it made the bitter feelings that more profound. So every time you look at her picture, all you can do is say under your breath......"f**king whore."
I don't think of it that way at all. I will never have anything but total respect for Coach L. Helluva coach and a genuinely nice man.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How good a coach is Turgeon? I really have no idea. He's teams have made the NCAA, but he has the benefit of competing in a the Big10, where a .500 record gets you in. His teams have never made a deep run, have they?

Look at how he managed the last 5-6 minutes of the game. His "strategy" seemed to be "let's just jack it up from 23' every time." They had us in the bonus but other than 1-2 possessions, Turgeon didn't seem interested in attacking the basket.

Then, as others have already pointed out, with 14 seconds left and down 5 he chooses to let Ayala bring the ball up and not the much faster Fats?? A head scratcher.

And unlike Paulsen, in the post-game press conference Turgeon blamed his players for a poor practice. While it is possible his players took this game lightly, as the head coach who gets the big money, the buck has to stop with Turgeon.
After what he did at Wichita State, I thought Turgeon would be hugely successful at UMD. I agree, he certainly hasn't sucked, but how good is he?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
After what he did at Wichita State, I thought Turgeon would be hugely successful at UMD. I agree, he certainly hasn't sucked, but how good is he?
he only made the tourney once at Wichita and was career .580 winning percentage there. He became really good at Texas A+M all 4 years making the tourney

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
he only made the tourney once at Wichita and was career .580 winning percentage there. He became really good at Texas A+M all 4 years making the tourney
He brought Wichita State back to prominence. He brought them from trash to back-to-back-to-back NIT followed by a sweet 16. Then he left to take over an A&M program that won over 25 games and played in the Sweet 16. He laid the groundwork for what happened next at WSU, and they had like 1 or 2 winning seasons in a decade before he got there. I would hesitate to compare continuing a tradition at A&M to STARTING one at WSU. His career at WSU was actually quite good.

Mason32

Starter
Have to wonder what Kim's dream job is. Saving Mizzou or coaching in his hometown area with UMD. He's so popular already it's hard to know how this all plays out. Shaka had to win NCAAT games before this kind of hype.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Have to wonder what Kim's dream job is. Saving Mizzou or coaching in his hometown area with UMD. He's so popular already it's hard to know how this all plays out. Shaka had to win NCAAT games before this kind of hype.

Shaka Smart didn’t play at a P5, or in the NBA either. He also took over an already good vcu program and just moved it to the next level.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Apparently his wife/kids still live in Missouri so maybe it would be there? We're paying him close to a million a year though and seem to be giving him a HUGE amount of freedom in running the program "his way." Bigger programs that have even bigger donors might not give him that opportunity.

Still, I've been telling everyone I've been talking to: new coach talk is loser talk. Just look at this forum from the past few years. Whether he leaves or not is completely beside the point that this season is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don't know about the comparison to anyone else's situation, because it's just personal, you know? I'm a teacher and I'm starting a new job mid-year. This is frowned upon for sure. But, it was an opportunity I absolutely could not turn down because you just never know if it is ever going to come up again. If I'm a Mason grad and a basketball coach, and Mason comes calling, I'm going to listen. Carefully. And, whatever my feelings are about where I am right now, what I'm going to say to myself is, "If I say no to this now, am I ever going to get the chance again?" I may love my current gig, and have no good reason to leave, but if I'm the type that always wanted to work at my Alma mater, and they call me, I'm gone.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know about the comparison to anyone else's situation, because it's just personal, you know? I'm a teacher and I'm starting a new job mid-year. This is frowned upon for sure. But, it was an opportunity I absolutely could not turn down because you just never know if it is ever going to come up again. If I'm a Mason grad and a basketball coach, and Mason comes calling, I'm going to listen. Carefully. And, whatever my feelings are about where I am right now, what I'm going to say to myself is, "If I say no to this now, am I ever going to get the chance again?" I may love my current gig, and have no good reason to leave, but if I'm the type that always wanted to work at my Alma mater, and they call me, I'm gone.

I think if Mason came to any of us with our dream job it'd be tough. I'd even move back to NOVA for a chance to be the official $150k/yr "Beer Advocate" for the Mason athletic department. It's a job I just made up but I'd do it.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
UMD can EatMyD

Eric Ayala wasn't fuming about Maryland basketball's upset loss to George Mason. The Terps senior guard viewed it as a wake-up call.

"We had three good games where we competed and just kind of felt like we were more talented than teams. And tonight we approached again the same way and it came back to bite us. So now we're back on that hunt and I'm excited to get ready for practice and just like a fresh start," he said. "But obviously, we gotta come and play better than that. We're too talented of a team to play down -- not down. George Mason's a good team -- but just not playing to our capabilities."

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
UMD can EatMyD

Eric Ayala wasn't fuming about Maryland basketball's upset loss to George Mason. The Terps senior guard viewed it as a wake-up call.

"We had three good games where we competed and just kind of felt like we were more talented than teams. And tonight we approached again the same way and it came back to bite us. So now we're back on that hunt and I'm excited to get ready for practice and just like a fresh start," he said. "But obviously, we gotta come and play better than that. We're too talented of a team to play down -- not down. George Mason's a good team -- but just not playing to our capabilities."
I'm glad he caught his slip and tried to correct it, but his initial comment is a window into what Turg is saying to them, and how they feel about us. Everything I've read from the UMD program and the media reeks of disrespect for our program. I don't blame them, but I hope English uses it as fuel.