Game 27: Richmond, Feb 26th, 7 PM, MASN

mason89

Starter
When you're making a conference schedule for an odd number of teams, someone has to be off every game day. This is the second year in a row we've had to deal with this (CAA had 11 teams last year)

With the addition of Davidson (and barring anyone leaving) the A-10 will have 14 teams next year.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
And
With the addition of Davidson (and barring anyone leaving) the A-10 will have 14 teams next year.
I hope Davidson doesn't lose the coach that put them on the map and then hire a retread coach. Because if they do, their first season in the A-10 could suck. Other schools' fans will be saying that they don't belong, that the A-10 should never have invited them, and that they are only hurting their team's RPI. That would suck for Davidson's fans. They have feelings too. I hope they don't cry themselves to sleep after every loss. Because, speaking from experience, that isn't fun.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
And

I hope Davidson doesn't lose the coach that put them on the map and then hire a retread coach. Because if they do, their first season in the A-10 could suck. Other schools' fans will be saying that they don't belong, that the A-10 should never have invited them, and that they are only hurting their team's RPI. That would suck for Davidson's fans. They have feelings too. I hope they don't cry themselves to sleep after every loss. Because, speaking from experience, that isn't fun.

I expect Bob McKillop to retire at Davidson. He and his wife love the school and the town. They live across the street from the campus in a home provided by the school. All 3 of his children are graduates of Davidson. Both of his sons played for him including Matt, who is one of his assistants.

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I remember when Coach L's house was on Zillow I took a virtual tour. The man had a green and gold basement with a custom George Mason pool table.

Theories about his leaving aside, that was the basement of a man who would have retired at Mason.

Theories about that aside, where the hell is that pool table and can I buy it?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Where have we heard that before?

Tom,

I'm guessing that Bob McKillop had opportunities to leave Davidson for higher-paying coaching positions, just as Joe Paterno had similar opportunities to leave Penn State.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom,

I'm guessing that Bob McKillop had opportunities to leave Davidson for higher-paying coaching positions.

I'm sure he had plenty of offers. He's a hell of a coach. I'm all for any person getting everything they can in their respective field, but it is also refreshing to see McKillop's loyalty to Davidson.

mason2k1

Starter
from their boards
"Mason is good team who really is probably much better than there 2-10 conference record shows.

Here are some there close games.

Loss to St. Joes by 4 at home
Loss to UMASS by 1 at home.
Loss at URI by 2 in OT
Loss at Fordham by 6
Loss at SLU in OT by 6
Loss to GW by 6 at home
Loss vs SLU by 4 at home in OT

7 losses by 6 or less and 3 OT games. And they get a week to prepare for our game on the 26th. That is a must win game for us, but would expect it to be a close one. "

http://richmond.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=1577

polepino

Starter
I am also excited that we get Davidson next year but at the same time we can't expect all programs to have great first seasons in a new league. I hate the fact that we are a prime example of this but, as a corollary, look at Butler in the Big East right now, 2-12. Sure we were the first smaller school to get to the Final Four in a really long time but Butler went to consecutive Championship games. Butler! From the Horizon! I haven't taken a look at any of their boards but I assume their fanbase isn't exactly full of happy campers right now either.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I am also excited that we get Davidson next year but at the same time we can't expect all programs to have great first seasons in a new league. I hate the fact that we are a prime example of this but, as a corollary, look at Butler in the Big East right now, 2-12. Sure we were the first smaller school to get to the Final Four in a really long time but Butler went to consecutive Championship games. Butler! From the Horizon! I haven't taken a look at any of their boards but I assume their fanbase isn't exactly full of happy campers right now either.

See http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/9890/Fire-Collier#.UwhAJktX_Ww.

Nice that Hewitt and company get to scout UR today against LaSalle, two teams we haven't played yet.

I trust we will be scouting both, but perhaps the assistants will instead visit a Virginia winery or something.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Richmond seems to be doing fine without their top scorer. Mason still hasn't shown it can win in the A-10 unless they blow up on offense or the opposition has a poor shooting day. Not much confidence going into this one - we won't get the stops when we need them.

Last edited: