Game 27: Duquesne University (Homecoming), Saturday, February 23rd, 4 PM, MASN2/ESPN+

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One of the most obvious things to me over this 2-3 stretch is that the guys have looked flat, not started games well, no energy or urgency (cough-16-0-cough).

They have a week to rest. It's homecoming. The crowd will be near sellout with peak intoxication level by our standards. Better come out like gang busters with tons of energy. I'm pessimistic that we will see it though.
We play awful out of the gate in big games.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We play awful out of the gate in big games.

I agree that this seems to be the (troubling) norm. I can’t help but think there’s also been games where Mason has started well. Obviously it’s how you finish and the game ends up, but starting in a big hole is never ideal.

I really hope to see great energy from the jump on Saturday. The once a year fans will be there, students will be half interested and it’s an important game for a chance to stay top 4. Last two seasons they’ve had a chance to get there at home they’ve failed in the opportunity. Hopefully third time is the charm.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Come out slow again and dooms us even with the 2nd half comeback

Mason 64
Duq 72

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The loss Sunday against the Bonnies May turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

A week off with some soul searching to do with experienced players and as the week progresses the team will realize the scope and attention this game is getting.

The team will be itching to get out there and erase the memory of that game. There is zero possibility of Mason coming out flat and uninspired. We are too good and experienced for that.

Will that equal a win? Most likely.

Mason 82
Duquesne 76

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There is zero possibility of Mason coming out flat and uninspired. We are too good and experienced for that.
To say there's anything less than a 50% chance they come out flat I think is just wrong. I also don't think they'll come out flat, but they've yet to earn the benefit of the doubt there. Remember, these guys also came out flat against Richmond last year with top four on the line and ended up getting run off their home court. I need to see a big time performance in a big spot before I put blind faith in them.

That being said, reading between the lines Paulsen seemed more upset then usual in the post-game. If I had to guess, the team got the riot act in private and will have some motivation. I think this will be the typical Paulsen homecoming; motivated, scrappy, and close with a win at the end. I'll take us in a close one with the help of some home-cooking from the refs.

Mason 70
Not Pitt 66

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I just noticed that a portion of the "tailgate" is indoors at the Hub (formerly SUB II). Is it really a tailgate if it is indoors? Will people still be tailgating in the parking lot? At least with the tent, you could pop out to the actual tailgate activity and it made it feel like a much bigger event. While I think I can guess their reasoning behind this (cold weather, we have buildings going unused instead of paying for a tent), this move would seem to work against an actual tailgate atmosphere.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I just noticed that a portion of the "tailgate" is indoors at the Hub (formerly SUB II). Is it really a tailgate if it is indoors? Will people still be tailgating in the parking lot? At least with the tent, you could pop out to the actual tailgate activity and it made it feel like a much bigger event. While I think I can guess their reasoning behind this (cold weather, we have buildings going unused instead of paying for a tent), this move would seem to work against an actual tailgate atmosphere.
It's raining sat and low 40s, probably the reason why

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

GMUSig03

All-Conference

Welcome back Brian! In your absence the school has established a tradition of having both an outdoor and indoor tailgate ;).

The indoor tailgate started due to some insane weather one year that forced the tented tailgate inside and people loved it, so they made it an annual thing.

No one enjoys tailgating outdoors more than me, but I've gone to the indoor the last 2 years (since having a kid) and it has been a great event that has improved every year. With the new location and additional features, this year seems likely to carry on that tradition.

When discussing with fraternity brothers our plans, there is always a divide between those who want to do the outdoor and the indoor. Reality is, very easy to do both. It's only $30 for the indoor and that includes 2 drinks, unlimited tastings and buffet food as well as all the entertainment they have set up for kids and families.

Buy a ticket for $30, go get your lunch and free Mason beanie hat at the indoor (give me your drink tickets), and then you can leave at any point if you want to go swing by the outdoor. I'll probably leave the indoor a little early to swing by and check on our undergraduate chapter and to make sure they are getting in the appropriate amount of trouble.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They needed OT and a ton of BS calls to beat UMass without Pipkins...

Didn’t UMass beat Davidson sans Pipkins?
I really hope this post ages well. :crazytongue:

Yeah, whatever it is this game is huuuuge for us to keep pace in the top 4. A win and we can breathe a little easier, a loss will likely drop us to fifth with Duquesne owning the tiebreaker over us (unless Dayton lose tonight).

A Dayton loss tonight and a GMU win puts us in the drivers seat in the final 4 games.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To say there's anything less than a 50% chance they come out flat I think is just wrong. I also don't think they'll come out flat, but they've yet to earn the benefit of the doubt there. Remember, these guys also came out flat against Richmond last year with top four on the line and ended up getting run off their home court. I need to see a big time performance in a big spot before I put blind faith in them.

That being said, reading between the lines Paulsen seemed more upset then usual in the post-game. If I had to guess, the team got the riot act in private and will have some motivation. I think this will be the typical Paulsen homecoming; motivated, scrappy, and close with a win at the end. I'll take us in a close one with the help of some home-cooking from the refs.

Mason 70
Not Pitt 66
Yeah, before Sunday's Stadium Network broadcast mercifully blinked out on me at the half—and thankfully did not return to my TV screen, I saw that Paulsen was livid. It appeared as if he was regurgitating a cup of sour Mountain Don't and eating his nose. I'll bet he paddled some behinds to a bright red glow in their locker room at half-time.

By George.

Starter

Giant Killer team will be throwing a huge tailgate, look for the USA and Mason flag combo and come hang out!

Also, if you or any of your friends and family are looking for tickets, we got a By George promo code for 7 bucks off some $25 tickets. Click this link - https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/gmu/EN/link/promotion/home/1f83755e94efe655c63fbb9780ed1a76f21e0240

Code: BYGEORGE

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Welcome back Brian! In your absence the school has established a tradition of having both an outdoor and indoor tailgate ;).

The indoor tailgate started due to some insane weather one year that forced the tented tailgate inside and people loved it, so they made it an annual thing.

No one enjoys tailgating outdoors more than me, but I've gone to the indoor the last 2 years (since having a kid) and it has been a great event that has improved every year. With the new location and additional features, this year seems likely to carry on that tradition.

When discussing with fraternity brothers our plans, there is always a divide between those who want to do the outdoor and the indoor. Reality is, very easy to do both. It's only $30 for the indoor and that includes 2 drinks, unlimited tastings and buffet food as well as all the entertainment they have set up for kids and families.

Buy a ticket for $30, go get your lunch and free Mason beanie hat at the indoor (give me your drink tickets), and then you can leave at any point if you want to go swing by the outdoor. I'll probably leave the indoor a little early to swing by and check on our undergraduate chapter and to make sure they are getting in the appropriate amount of trouble.
Give me a break, and I know I sound like Homer Simpson’s father but I was one of the original homecoming tailgaters. I was out there in snow one year and the next year was hurricane force winds and driven rain. I still had my tent sent up. We had to hold it down, but it was setup and we were manning it. Don’t mess with us IT&E tailgaters, we mean business. I think there may have been only 20 total people out there that year. I love cold weather, and especially snow (so I am psyched to play with my big boy toys in the snow tomorrow if we get the 8 inches of snow they are currently predicting).

Shouldn’t the beanies be for the outdoor tailgaters?

On the serious side, I am glad (yet surprised) to hear that the indoor thing is a hit. I guess I haven’t paid attention to homecoming for sometime now.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tailgating indoors vs. outdoors …. Hey! Start the day out right. The A10 Indoor Track and Field Championships are happening right over at the Field House. So, if you want something to do before the game, go on over and root for our beloved Patriots!