Game 27: Duquesne University (Homecoming), Saturday, February 23rd, 4 PM, MASN2/ESPN+

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
was it focus or was it a bad scheme? We didn't get beat last night. We couldn't find the right path to a win. It was there.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
was it focus or was it a bad scheme? We didn't get beat last night. We couldn't find the right path to a win. It was there.

It’s focus which comes with maturity. I’m in the Paulsen coaches pretty well camp, so that’s where I stand.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s focus which comes with maturity. I’m in the Paulsen coaches pretty well camp, so that’s where I stand.

I thought the freshman played very well. AJ had a good game as well. Kier had a lot of bad turnovers in 1st half that flipped the game.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought the freshman played very well. AJ had a good game as well. Kier had a lot of bad turnovers in 1st half that flipped the game.

Agreed. I think the young guys have stepped up as much as they can since they have been asked to play major minutes instead of being depth. They look much more talented and polished than what mason had for freshman a year or two ago in my opinion. Jds hartwell and Miller look great for freshmen.

Both kier and Otis amongst others showed some immaturity yesterday which is really disappointing (especially Otis a senior). They, along with everyone else have to learn how to harness their energy and focus.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed. I think the young guys have stepped up as much as they can since they have been asked to play major minutes instead of being depth. They look much more talented and polished than what mason had for freshman a year or two ago in my opinion. Jds hartwell and Miller look great for freshmen.

Both kier and Otis amongst others showed some immaturity yesterday which is really disappointing (especially Otis a senior). They, along with everyone else have to learn how to harness their energy and focus.

Your comment brings up a crucial point. Is there too much loyalty to these two and others when these actions occur??

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Your comment brings up a crucial point. Is there too much loyalty to these two and others when these actions occur??

It’s an interesting point, but if you can’t lean on your experience to right the ship when things go awry, who can you lean on? To me that’s a safer bet than expecting a freshman to do it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s an interesting point, but if you can’t lean on your experience to right the ship when things go awry, who can you lean on? To me that’s a safer bet than expecting a freshman to do it.

IMO, if your experienced guys are also not that good, its paramount they are laser focused.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
IMO, if your experienced guys are also not that good, its paramount they are laser focused.

If not for Otis and Kier, we maybe have 2 A-10 wins right now ... and that’s being very generous. Of course we’re gonna ride those guys for better or worse.

patriotchild

Starter
Actually Hartwell getting mauled and going down was a big factor. He came in in the second half and really gave us good minutes, scored, assisted, and played a bit better on defense than Otis.

To say we don’t have a mature team is kind of silly. Otis and kier have had a ton of run for mason players and they should not be turning the ball over like that When we are up big. Reuter a redshirt junior from uva should not be turning the ball over like that.

Green who got a ton of minutes last doesn’t really possess the ball the same way and neither does miller. Both of them played well and did their jobs.

That said we only turned it over 13 times, our average. We actually out rebounded them and had more offensive boards. Also had more assists.

I still don’t know how we lost. Statistically we played better in every category beside FTs, but by halftime you could tell the dukes wanted it more. Their players were taunting our fans and having fun. We just looked like we were unraveling and exhausted.

It could have been worse. I didn’t think we’d respond once the took the lead but we did hit a bunch of threes to keep it going back and forth.

Very weird. Very disappointing for how the rest of the season can play out.