Game 25: GMU (13-11 / 6-5) at Fordham (11-13 / 4-8) on Sunday, February 20, at 2:30PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Fordham is currently 11-13 on the season and 4-8 in A10 play. They are 6-4 at home, 3-7 on the road, and 2-2 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 5-6 against Fordham as a member of the A10.

Fordham received some tough news when Antonio Daye Jr. announced that he was leaving the program and university after just 14 games this season. He was averaging 16.8 points per game while shooting 45.6% from the floor at the time of his departure. They were 8 - 5 with him and have gone just 3 - 8 without him.

Wins: Columbia, St, Thomas, Akron, Rice, Central Connecticut, St. Francis Brooklyn, LIU, LaSalle, Duquesne (x2), Rhode Island,
Losses: Manhattan, Maryland Eastern Shore, Delaware, St. John’s, Miami, St. Louis, Richmond, Davidson, Dayton, GW, St. Joe’s, St, Bonaventure, vcu
Canceled: Georgia Southern

Schedule: https://fordhamsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22
Roster: https://fordhamsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://fordhamsports.com/documents/2021/11/14//Ford_MBB_Stats_2122.pdf?id=2460

Fordham is led by 6’2” Darius Quisenberry (17.3 ppg & 4.1 reb) and 6’9” Chuba Ohams (13.5 ppg & 11.3 reb). 6’5” Antrell Charleton (7.6 ppg) and 6’4” Kyle Rose (9.3 ppg) have served as the other starters most nights. Others averaging double figure minutes are 5’10” Josh Colon-Navarro (7.0 ppg), 6’8” Patrick Kelly (2.7 ppg), and 6’9” Abdou Tsimbila (2.3 ppg).

Fordham averages 67.6 points per game while giving up 67.8. The Rams shoot 40.0% from the floor and 30.3% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.1% from the field and 33.0% from 3. The Rams shoot 72.5% from the free throw line. They are currently being out rebounded by their opponents by just .9 boards per game.

The game is on USA.

My prediction: Nothing is easy in the A10, especially for our guys.
GMU 70 - Fordham 67.

Discuss.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Quisenberry has missed the last 2 games. Somehow Fordham clawed its way back into the game against vcu in the second half without him when vcu went cold. If he is back at full strength, he could make a significant difference.

If Mason plays like it did tonight, we'll be in trouble. We seem to have St. Joe's number in all the close game with them. Can't count on Fordham just to roll over for us.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ll be there! Excited to see the team and hopefully a win. Hat tip to mason athletics for helping me get hooked up since they have attendance restrictions. I’ll be the tall guy behind the bench.

can’t lose this one. Fordham is not the pushover they once were and Neptune has them on the right track. Same keys as always. Let’s hope Josh has another monster game and maybe Ticket can contribute a bit more.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
sneaky good matchup vs Ohams for Oduro. If Quisenberry is out I like us in a rout. XJ should be able to kill Navarro and they don't have a guy to cover Cooper either. They do have 2 good wings that will provide issues for Schwartz and Ticket offensively. But our 1,2 and 5 are so much better than there's if Quisenberry is out. They need to gang rebound because Ohams is one of the best rebounders in the nation

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Speaking of rebounds, St. Joe's had a big edge on us for much of the game in that regard. I think we narrowed that late in the game, but it seemed to me many of our shots came early and when we missed, no one was underneath. Were we focusing on getting back on defense to slow them down?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
5-6 against Fordham but I think Paulsen won the last 3 if I’m not mistaken.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"• A-10 leading scorer Josh Oduro (18.7 ppg) led Mason with a career-best 33 points (12-18 FG) to go along with eight rebounds. It marked his fourth 30+ point effort of the year - the most by a Patriot since Curtis McCants in 1995-96.

• Oduro's averaging 26.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.8 blocks over his past four games.

D'Shawn Schwartz added 18 points (3-6 3pt FG) in the win and dished out four assists. He's averaging 18.0 points in league play (8th in A-10) and shooting 42.5 percent from 3pt range.

• Mason held a +6 (13-7) turnover margin at SJU which led to a decisive 19-3 edge in points off turnovers for the game. Mason is a perfect 9-0 when winning the turnover battle this season.

The Patriots rank 20th nationally and second in the A-10 with 9.7 3pt FG made/game. That's a school record by a sizable margin (7.3/game, 1987-88). With the team's seventh 3-pointer at SJU, Mason broke the previous school record of 230 total 3s, set in 2017-18.

Graduate student DeVon Cooper ranks 16th nationally in 3pt FG% and his 42.9 clip on the year is third all time at Mason for a student-athlete with at least 150 attempts.

• Cooper needs just one 3-pointer to reach 200 for his career. When he gets there, the Patriots will be one of just 21 programs nationally to have two players with 200+ career triples (D'Shawn Schwartz).

• Point guard Xavier Johnson is averaging 5.7 assists in A-10 play and 5.0 overall. He's the first Patriot student-athlete to average 5+ assists since Terry Reynolds in 2003-04.

• If Oduro finishes the season ranked first in the A-10 in scoring, he'd claim Mason's first individual conference scoring title since George Evans in 1998-99 (17.2 ppg)
."

Irish44j

Sixth Man
s. It marked his fourth 30+ point effort of the year - the most by a Patriot since Curtis McCants in 1995-96.

And that's saying a lot. I went to a lot of games in 95-96 and my general recollection of GMU's game plan at all games was "whoever has the ball coming up the court, shoot it. Then let the other team score as quickly as possible so we can get the ball back and shoot it as quickly as possible. Repeat this pattern for the entire game. That team scored a lot of points.

I distinctly remember two games that year when Mason scored something like 140 points (without overtime). I think Troy State was one of them, and THEY had like 130 points in the loss. Westhead ball was insane.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

"• A-10 leading scorer Josh Oduro (18.7 ppg) led Mason with a career-best 33 points (12-18 FG) to go along with eight rebounds. It marked his fourth 30+ point effort of the year - the most by a Patriot since Curtis McCants in 1995-96.

• Oduro's averaging 26.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.8 blocks over his past four games.
Just fyi, here's a link to Curtis McCants' stats from 95-95:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Just fyi, here's a link to Curtis McCants' stats from 95-95:

If you recall, G.C. Marcaccini quit the team during a road trip in California in the fall and Nate Langley and Kevin Ward were academically ineligible for the spring semester of the 1995-96 season. As a result, Curtis McCants became the primary scorer on the team.

After the season, McCants was suspended and transferred to Cal State Bakersfield for his senior season. As much as I liked Jason Miskiri, I consider McCants as the most talented PG I've seen play for Mason.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nate Langley was incredible. He was playing at the same time that Allen Iverson was at G'Town. I recall watching both of them closely and seeing how similar their games were. During one game, Nate was shredding an opponent on both ends of the court and I shouted out... "Iverson? ... who's Iverson?" In a matcnup, I really thought Nate could take him. The only difference in the two is that Allen played for John Thompson and Nate played for Paul Westhead. Iverson became an NBA legend. Nate... no respect.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Nate Langley was incredible. He was playing at the same time that Allen Iverson was at G'Town. I recall watching both of them closely and seeing how similar their games were. During one game, Nate was shredding an opponent on both ends of the court and I shouted out... "Iverson? ... who's Iverson?" In a matcnup, I really thought Nate could take him. The only difference in the two is that Allen played for John Thompson and Nate played for Paul Westhead. Iverson became an NBA legend. Nate... no respect.
Iverson was a freak athlete, a blur, nobody could guard him. That’s why he’s regarded as maybe the best little guy to ever play in the NBA.

Langley was a tremendous natural scorer who played in a perfect system for his skills, but he was not in the same galaxy as Iverson. Had zip to do with coaching.