Game 24: Richmond, Saturday, February 14th, 4 PM, MASN

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Corey Edwards was brilliant in pretending like he was going to foul in OT like he had done in regulation so the UR player throws up a shot thinking he was going to get fouled. I don't know if that was all on Corey or the coaches instructed him to do that, but nicely done.
I was just scared to death that that quick-whistle referee was going to call the phantom foul like he did 17 other times. I guess you have to win if you want good refs. Donnie Eppley was awful today.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Strange game. Outrebounded them yet had 14 less field goal attempts thanks to turnovers and us being fouled a lot.

Happy we got a win, but still so much bad basketball. Outside of the Thompson fast break dunk and his dump down to Jalen for an easy one, virtually every hoop was a result of one-on-one basketball. Amazing that we can't generate more easy looks for guys. Also the awful TO on an inbounds play right in front of our bench in the second half, while sitting on 4 timeouts was one of those moments that don't happen to well coached teams.

Negatives aside, we got the win. I hope people are able to appreciate Shevon Thompson and the season he is having despite our record. Most people on these boards would give oral to George Evans or Will Thomas, yet Thompson is doing things on the glass that neither of those guys got close to, even against lesser competition. I hope to cheer for this kid for a decade or more to come at the next level.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Corey Edwards was brilliant in pretending like he was going to foul in OT like he had done in regulation so the UR player throws up a shot thinking he was going to get fouled. I don't know if that was all on Corey or the coaches instructed him to do that, but nicely done.
I think he was being told to foul, but when the UR player went to shoot, Corey backed off so as not to give him 3 free throws. So if this is true, kudos to Corey for having the basketball smarts not to foul.

Dawgs99

Starter
Who was the last team we beat at Homecoming other than UR?

That was the worst HC crowd I have ever seen as well. Need to get more students in seats. On our way over to the Pat Dome we must of saw at least 20 students walking away from the Patdome.

Dear AD...... PLEASE STOP SCHEDULING HOMECOMING ON VDAY WEEKEND!!!!

Student support has been strong all season, its not the students they need to get out to games....its people like us that actually pay to attend. I have been impressed with the student section this year, best in awhile especially considering the lack of success.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Student support has been strong all season, its not the students they need to get out to games....its people like us that actually pay to attend. I have been impressed with the student section this year, best in awhile especially considering the lack of success.

Agreed. Students have been out in good numbers and active during the game.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Been a while since saying it, because it really hasn't mattered, but the refs were really bad today.

There were a lot of head-scratching calls yesterday. They had more fouls called on them, but they were also the beneficiary of a terrible call that allowed them to force OT. Any good ref swallows his whistle there and lets the players decide the game.

The funniest part is this take by the Richmond Times Dispatch reporter.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_d25b105e-c720-5920-a9ba-c0d360c80c6c.html

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Props to the students for their support. BTW, did you hear the boos coming from the student section when Coach Hewitt was announced?

Too many empty seats for Homecoming vs. an old rival:

Close
B92RGmXCAAA-RTv.jpg:large

Previous

Patriotfan49

Starter
There were a lot of head-scratching calls yesterday. They had more fouls called on them, but they were also the beneficiary of a terrible call that allowed them to force OT. Any good ref swallows his whistle there and lets the players decide the game.

The funniest part is this take by the Richmond Times Dispatch reporter.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_d25b105e-c720-5920-a9ba-c0d360c80c6c.html

I'm just glad they didn't bail that midget out again at the end of Ot or the other time he flailed away and launched a 3.

The charge on Thompson was incredibly bad. That was one of the biggest flops I've seen in some time. I think the main issue the refs had besides being inept, was they anticipated a ton of calls. Instead of seeing what actually happened they just anticipated contact, whether it was there or not. Toward the end of the game, the fouls they called when Richmond was trying to foul, were awfully generous. Could have used some more time passed away there.

Bad calls notwithstanding, it was just nice to see us with significantly less fouls than our opponent for once at home.

Ain't coincidence either. It's a shitty defensive system.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm just glad they didn't bail that midget out again at the end of Ot or the other time he flailed away and launched a 3.

Funny you say that, because I referred to him as Kevin Hart during the game. And I completely agree with you about the refs anticipating calls. Good refs call what they see; these clowns yesterday called what they thought was going to happen.

We probably lead the country in unforced turnovers, but I've never seen more travel calls in a game on both teams than we saw yesterday — especially by the fat ref who was looking for any reason possible to avoid running the length of the court.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Funny you say that, because I referred to him as Kevin Hart during the game. And I completely agree with you about the refs anticipating calls. Good refs call what they see; these clowns yesterday called what they thought was going to happen.

We probably lead the country in unforced turnovers, but I've never seen more travel calls in a game on both teams than we saw yesterday — especially by the fat ref who was looking for any reason possible to avoid running the length of the court.

The refs incompetence was pretty much summed up by the tip in OT. When it went out of bounds, the closest ref had no idea and immediately looked to the farthest away and he said Richmond ball. They had to be booed and screamed at by Hewitt to look at the monitor. Why that wasn't their first move, when clearly none of the refs had any idea what happened...says all you needed to know.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Too many empty seats for Homecoming vs. an old rival:

Close
B92RGmXCAAA-RTv.jpg:large

Previous

Last year against St. Bonaventure there were 7800 at the game vs 6000 yesterday, so there was a drop off. In fairness, the weather was brutal especially after the game and the details of the forecast may have diminished the crowd. It might be interesting to see how many "no shows" there were who had registered for Homecoming. I honestly don't remember what the weather was like for last year's Homecoming.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Last year against St. Bonaventure there were 7800 at the game vs 6000 yesterday, so there was a drop off. In fairness, the weather was brutal especially after the game and the details of the forecast may have diminished the crowd. It might be interesting to see how many "no shows" there were who had registered for Homecoming. I honestly don't remember what the weather was like for last year's Homecoming.

The past couple homecomings have been very cold, much colder than yesterday. Until after the game, the weather was much warmer than expected. Don't think weather had much of a factor for the poor turnout.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think the weather had a significant affect on the turnout (I blame our shitty record and Valentine's Day), but I've never seen more bizarre conditions than after the game yesterday. It went from flurries on the way out of the Patriot Center to near-Blizzard conditions by the time we hit the Fairfax County Parkway going north.

The temperature dropped from 32 degrees to 28 in that span, and the road was covered with snow within minutes. All of the street lights went out on the Parkway, and you literally couldn't see the lines on the road or 10 feet in from of your car. Very scary, to say the least.

Last edited:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't think the weather had a significant affect on the turnout (I blame our shitty record and Valentine's Day), but I've never seen more bizarre conditions than after the game yesterday. It went from flurries on the way out of the Patriot Center to near-Blizzard conditions by the time we hit the Fairfax County Parkway going north.

The temperature dropped from 32 degrees to 28 in that span, and the road was covered with snow within minutes. All of the street lights went out on the Parkway, and you literally couldn't see the lines on the road or 10 feet in from of your car. Very scary, to say the least.
I left the Patriot Center parking lot and it was fine. Got to the Legion Bridge and I couldn't find a lane. By the time I got to 270 (in 2 mins) cars had pulled over to the side of the road. An hour later, it was over.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah the weather post game was nuts. Once on 66 I couldnt see anything and fortunately was able to maneuver eventually to a restaurant in Fairfax.