Game 23: #24 Ranked - University of Dayton, Saturday, Feb 6th, 6 PM, MASN

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton is a Top 25 team. We start 3 freshman and our top scorer and primary ball handler was out of the game.

It's a disappointing result, but not really that unexpected.

I thought the guys played pretty well in the first half, considering no Marquise and we were facing a ranked opponent.

Otis and Jaire certainly showed that they belong on the floor against a team of that caliber.

If we hadn't missed six layups in the first half -- three of which were absolutely uncontested -- it would've been a one-possession game at halftime despite our awful defense.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we hadn't missed six layups in the first half -- three of which were absolutely uncontested -- it would've been a one-possession game at halftime despite our awful defense.

We really needed our upperclassmen to step up with Marquis out, but that unfortunately didn't happen. I'm kind of accustomed to Thompson and Jenkins being up and down due to always being in foul trouble, but Marko was the one who surprised me the most yesterday. He shot 1-7 from the floor — including an airballed baseline jumper in the first half and terrible hook shot in the second half —and committed 3 turnovers.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We really needed our upperclassmen to step up with Marquis out, but that unfortunately didn't happen. I'm kind of accustomed to Thompson and Jenkins being up and down due to always being in foul trouble, but Marko was the once who surprised me the most yesterday. He shot 1-7 from the floor — including an airballed baseline jumper in the first half and terrible hook shot in the second half —and committed 3 turnovers.

No offense to any of our players, honestly, but I've come to the conclusion that all we need to get our program back to where Dayton is right now is to sign 6-7 more guys with the drive, skill and basketball IQ of Otis and Jaire.

Shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Actually, after our 2016 class enrolls later this year, I think that target number will be significantly reduced. Some really good kids on the way next season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We're also starting to see glimpses from Dixon that he could be a very good player for us his last 2 years.

He is defending in the post with much more vigor than he did at the start of the season. Holding his ground and not getting backed down by stronger guys.

And while he didn't finish the bank shot for the and-1, the quick spin post move he made in the second half was a thing of beauty.

Almost all of our young kids are getting better and playing with more confidence as the season goes along, and that's really all we can ask of them.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dayton is a Top 25 team. We start 3 freshman and our top scorer and primary ball handler was out of the game.

It's a disappointing result, but not really that unexpected.
exactly. And I think with the right matchups, Dayton could end up in the Elite 8.

Moore being out simply gives more minutes to the freshmen. We will lose with Moore, so we can certainly lose w/out him and give our young guys minutes.

The last 10 minutes though, yikes. Thankfully we play Tuesday and put this one behind us.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That Dayton tem is legit good. They did what very good teams do to younger undermanned teams. They got up on us and then buried us. Watch out for that team come the Big Dance.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton is a good team b/c Archie built it with good players. Are his players like our? 4yr guys or mostly transfers? Some of his players look "old".

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dayton is a good team b/c Archie built it with good players. Are his players like our? 4yr guys or mostly transfers? Some of his players look "old".

Their leading scorer, Charles Cooke, is a transfer from JMU.

Dyshawn Pierre is a 4 year player as are Pollard, Smith, and both Davises.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We're also starting to see glimpses from Dixon that he could be a very good player for us his last 2 years.

He is defending in the post with much more vigor than he did at the start of the season. Holding his ground and not getting backed down by stronger guys.

And while he didn't finish the bank shot for the and-1, the quick spin post move he made in the second half was a thing of beauty.

Almost all of our young kids are getting better and playing with more confidence as the season goes along, and that's really all we can ask of them.
I think very good is a huge stretch. I have been encouraged that Danny Dixon can be a very serviceable backup for Mason. He looks like he is getting better defensively. Nothing makes me think he will ever turn into a very good player, but with a kid that works as hard as he seems to anything can happen and we can hope for the best.