Game 21: GMU at Richmond on Monday, February 7 at 7PM. Game 22: GMU (11-10 / 4-4) vs Richmond (16-8 / 7-4) on Wednesday, February 9 at 7PM.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I stayed at Holiday Inn and I also don’t have dementia. If Oduro doesn’t play vs Richmond your’re right. If he does then we can both be wrong. It should be over 100 hours if it’s ~24 hours for each do the 6 steps. Is my math good on that one sir? I guess I’m just reading the concussion protocol differently
Didn't really want to get into the weeds with this. But there is another bit of a gray area with the first step (and then the last step is full participation - not really a "step"). It may take some liberties in interpretation. Which is why I said if he went into the protocol right away after SLU then he may be able to play against Richmond. That would be equal to the fastest I've seen it allowed.

That also assumes that he had no symptoms the next day and managed to pass his ImPACT test or whatever Mason is using these days. Let's hope that is the case. I'd be happy to be "wrong" (even if I never said to rule Josh out against Richmond).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Honest question, because I don’t understand if Is there’s a difference: Can you be in protocols without having a concussion?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Kenpom: Richmond favored by 6

Vegasinsider: Richmond opens as a 5 pt favorite, now at 8 pts. I'm guessing that's due to the real possibility that Josh won't be playing. For the LaSalle game Mason had been around a 4 pt favorite and I noticed that we were only a 2 point favorite shortly before the tip.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"• Josh Oduro, the A-10's leading scorer (17.7 ppg), missed Saturday's game (concussion protocol). Mason is 4-1 in A-10 games with Oduro this season and 0-2 without. Oduro's interior presence was missed in those two contests. In the five with the Preseason All-A-10 selection, Mason gave up just 68.0 points/game and allowed opponents to shoot just 42.2 percent from 2. In the two without Oduro, Mason gave up 80.0 points/game and allowed opponents to shoot 61.9 percent from inside the arc.

• In A-10 contests, Mason leads the league in 3pt FG percentage (.415) and is second in overall FG percentage (.485).

• Mason is ranked 102nd in the latest NCAA NET rankings. The Patriots also are #106 in KenPom, marking the team's highest February ranking since 2012.

HISTORY vs. RICHMOND

Monday's game marks the 66th all-time meeting between George Mason and Richmond in men's basketball (Mason trails 25-40). The Patriots are 15-13 vs. the Spiders in Fairfax and 8-20 in games played in Richmond (2-7 on neutral courts). Mason is 7-5 over the past 12 meetings with Richmond, although the Spiders have won five of the past six, including a 77-57 win in Fairfax on January 9 last season."
If Josh plays, we can win this...and perhaps rather easily (Saint Joe's beat these guys by 30).

No Josh = No chance (unless we shoot 50%+ from deep, and send Golden to the bench w/two early fouls, Gilyard pulls a hammie, and Burton is a DNP with a sinus infection).

RE: the stats courtesy of Pablo, kinda neat we are basically THE BEST SHOOTING TEAM in the A10.

FFS. Could we have imagined this as a possibility last year?

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kenpom: Richmond favored by 6

Vegasinsider: Richmond opens as a 5 pt favorite, now at 8 pts. I'm guessing that's due to the real possibility that Josh won't be playing. For the LaSalle game Mason had been around a 4 pt favorite and I noticed that we were only a 2 point favorite shortly before the tip.
BOOO! Likely means another loss. O/U on Blake Buchannon 3's? I'll take the over @1.5

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Josh plays, we can win this...and perhaps rather easily (Saint Joe's beat these guys by 30).

No Josh = No chance (unless we shoot 50%+ from deep, and send Golden to the bench w/two early fouls, Gilyard pulls a hammie, and Burton is a DNP with a sinus infection).

RE: the stats courtesy of Pablo, kinda neat we are basically THE BEST SHOOTING TEAM in the A10.

FFS. Could we have imagined this as a possibility last year?

They shot over 50% from 3 against La Salle and lost…

It sucks that 1 player is that critical to this team’s success, but even out 5th starter XJ is necessary (you saw what happened when he didn’t play against ODU).

I just wish our defense didn’t take a nosedive when Oduro isn’t out there. They easily scored enough points to beat GW and La Salle without him, it’s the defense that’s been the biggest let down.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The big three are gonna have to learn to create their own shot instead of only taking set three pointers.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn't really want to get into the weeds with this. But there is another bit of a gray area with the first step (and then the last step is full participation - not really a "step"). It may take some liberties in interpretation. Which is why I said if he went into the protocol right away after SLU then he may be able to play against Richmond. That would be equal to the fastest I've seen it allowed.

That also assumes that he had no symptoms the next day and managed to pass his ImPACT test or whatever Mason is using these days. Let's hope that is the case. I'd be happy to be "wrong" (even if I never said to rule Josh out against Richmond).
One of the best ways to determine if one has a concussion: Drink two beers within the span of an hour. That's what I did a couple of days after a minor concussion and didn't believe that I was concussed... OH-BOY what a bad move that was. o_O

Was Josh's concussion incident during the STL game? Thursday practice? Friday practice? My little concussion took five days to clear. Monday is five days from last Wednesday. At that time-frame for Josh's scenario he could/should return tonight. If not, then, well... maybe this coming Wednesday??

When Josh hasn't played then everyone else is generally playing out of position. That's tough to overcome. How often, if ever, does a team practice Plan-B when a key player is out?

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I always saw this as a rebuild year anyway and while it's exceeded my expectations to this point, it's not worth rushing anything in the concussion protocol. Throw Malik and Blake into the fire and let them get some hard experience. We're not getting an at-large so let's be full-strength for the tourney.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
@FreeGunston12 you were correct. From your former life as an athletic trainer… is it normal to have a concussed individual sit in a stadium filled with yelling folks? When I was concussed in high school I was not allowed to attend games or travel with team. I’ll hang up and listen.