Game 21: GMU (12-8 / 4-3) at vcu (15-5 / 6-1) on Wednesday, January 25, at 7:00 PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
"vcu deserves a ton of credit. College basketball rewards the harder playing team. I felt like they were that tonight," head coach Kim English said. "That's disappointing for a coach to say, no matter roster availability and injuries. That last group we put out there, they tried their best and played harder. We have to recover, bounce back and return home."

I'm not 100% sure what to make of this comment but it certainly isn't the first time he has said something along that line. KE has been talking about wanting tough guys who play hard for the past year and a half. If the seniors and grad students aren't meeting his expectations as far as toughness, effort, and competetiveness then sit them on the bench. He doesn't owe them anything. I'll take a loss if we at least fight and compete. I just hate when we look and play scared. I loved the technical Devin got. He displayed a screw you attitude that we need more of.

Agreed, if you noticed the entire bench was ready to jump on vcu and the coaches held them back. It was nice to see that our guys were ready to fight if needed.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know I will get flack for this. But despite Oduro’s 19 points, I wasn’t impressed with him. He was so weak on the glass and turned the ball over a ton

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
"vcu deserves a ton of credit. College basketball rewards the harder playing team. I felt like they were that tonight," head coach Kim English said. "That's disappointing for a coach to say, no matter roster availability and injuries. That last group we put out there, they tried their best and played harder. We have to recover, bounce back and return home."

I'm not 100% sure what to make of this comment but it certainly isn't the first time he has said something along that line. KE has been talking about wanting tough guys who play hard for the past year and a half. If the seniors and grad students aren't meeting his expectations as far as toughness, effort, and competetiveness then sit them on the bench. He doesn't owe them anything. I'll take a loss if we at least fight and compete. I just hate when we look and play scared. I loved the technical Devin got. He displayed a screw you attitude that we need more of.
Same same same. DD reminds me of the guys who put Mason on the map. He isn’t out there to make friends and even as a little dude he’s not gonna back down if somebody starts some ish. Plays with a chip and I love that.

I say we build around him and JF and hope these incoming freshmen bring some attitude with them as well because this finesse crap we’ve been doing for the past 12 years is embarrassing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know I will get flack for this. But despite Oduro’s 19 points, I wasn’t impressed with him. He was so weak on the glass and turned the ball over a ton
Other than brief flashes where others contributed, he was playing 1 on 5 most of the game.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Same same same. DD reminds me of the guys who put Mason on the map. He isn’t out there to make friends and even as a little dude he’s not gonna back down if somebody starts some ish. Plays with a chip and I love that.

I say we build around him and JF and hope these incoming freshmen bring some attitude with them as well because this finesse crap we’ve been doing for the past 12 years is embarrassing.
Completely agree. I realize Dinkins makes some typical freshman mistakes, but the kid is fearless and looks like he belongs out there. He might be undersized, but he has a swagger about him we haven't had in a freshman in long time (maybe Otis).

I hope our fans are patient with him, because the constant "we have no PG on this roster" stuff is shortsighted. Assuming he stays all four years, I think we will look back on him as one of the best point guards to wear the green and gold.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Agree on DD....reminds me of a Tremanie Price 2.0. Give him some good shooters and he will blossom.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Completely agree. I realize Dinkins makes some typical freshman mistakes, but the kid is fearless and looks like he belongs out there. He might be undersized, but he has a swagger about him we haven't had in a freshman in long time (maybe Otis).

I hope our fans are patient with him, because the constant "we have no PG on this roster" stuff is shortsighted. Assuming he stays all four years, I think we will look back on him as one of the best point guards to wear the green and gold.
I like Dinkins too, but I'm not convinced that we can win with just 1 guy running the show. Add to the dead horse topics with Ronny and it leaves us very susceptible.

I still think having a 1a/1b for point guard is the best bet, even if the 1b fills in 10 minutes a game and plays more off the ball.

Honestly, if we had a healthy Ronny and healthy XJ this year, that would have been good. Problem is, neither is consistent or healthy enough to be 1a/1b so then we'd have Dinkins and the same problem lol

Dawgs99

Starter
This is what happens when you don’t recruit/land a PG and rely on a guy who has been plagued with injuries. Sorry singleton is not a PG!

This x1000....I can't believe CKE thought that Saquan could actually run the point. Not only are his handles very pedestrian, he can't shoot. How the hell do you play on the perimeter/handle the ball and you cant shoot a lick? He's been a complete non-factor this season. More Dinkins Less Singleton from here on out!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Singleton is 9 for 31 from the FT line this year -- how in the world can a guy shoot 29%? Basically it means he can't be on the floor during a close game, or at least when we have possession.
He had one free throw where he barely hit the rim last night. Cringe worthy.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He had one free throw where he barely hit the rim last night. Cringe worthy.
"Singleton is a Point Guard" -Kim English

Could be his downfall if he doesn't make us forget it.

AnotherFan

Recruit
Proud my kid was the only one in the gym screaming during every vcu free throw. She was proud of how many vcu fans yelled at her or provided colorful gestures.
That was your kid? She's got a heck of a set of lungs on her, tell her to keep it up! There were a few student fans around me that said things along the lines of how they wanted to punch whoever was doing that, until I pointed out exactly who was doing the screaming, and they all looked rather sheepish when they realized it was a little girl...

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Singleton is 9 for 31 from the FT line this year -- how in the world can a guy shoot 29%? Basically it means he can't be on the floor during a close game, or at least when we have possession.
Most of the time Singleton is used, it's for defensive purposes. And especially late in games, Coach English subs him in when we're on defense and out if we're on offense. He certainly is a liability on the line, although he does have some ability to go to the rim (shoots 58% on 2 pointers). Unfortunately if he misses on the drive and gets fouled, it amounts to an empty possession much of the time.

Dinkins has a future as a PG if he can improve his assist rate (never has gotten more than 2 in a game) and at 38% is our second best 3 pt shooter.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I think it depends on how healthy we are. Missing Ticket and Polite is a pretty big deal. If we are at full strength we have a shot.
If I'm not mistaken on last night's telecast, somebody said that it was expected that Ticket would be back for the Loyola game (on the road, Feb 4). Hope so.

They also mentioned that Polite might be available during last night's game, but Feinstein later said that wasn't likely when he didn't come in during the first 10 minutes and we were struggling.

smccart5

Starter
This x1000....I can't believe CKE thought that Saquan could actually run the point. Not only are his handles very pedestrian, he can't shoot. How the hell do you play on the perimeter/handle the ball and you cant shoot a lick? He's been a complete non-factor this season. More Dinkins Less Singleton from here on out!
We're not winning anything this year, so if a grad transfer isn't absolutely essential, sit them and lets play the young guys/guys who committed here out of HS.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
That was your kid? She's got a heck of a set of lungs on her, tell her to keep it up! There were a few student fans around me that said things along the lines of how they wanted to punch whoever was doing that, until I pointed out exactly who was doing the screaming, and they all looked rather sheepish when they realized it was a little girl...
She had a good attitude about it. Said if 6,000 people hated her, she's glad to have it be vcu fans. I do worry about Kathy McKay's hearing this morning as she was sitting right next to her.