Game 20: AT University of Dayton, Wednesday, January 23rd, 7 PM, ESPN+

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
UMass gave Dayton a game at UD Arena - only lost by 5. I think Mason keeps it close and gives themselves a chance to grab another road W.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Couldn't figure out what thread to use so shoehorning it in here - we launched an A10 weekly pod with the guys from A10Talk. We want it to be a great resource for everyone who doesn't have as much time to go through each A10 team like we do. First episode is up!

https://giantkiller.co/ByGeorge/2019/01/20/hey10-ep-1/

0:00 - Intro
2:30 - Saint Louis
10:30 - Mason
20:30 - Davidson
30:30 - vcu
40:15 - Dayton
48:20 - At-larges?
55:30 - A10 surprises!
1:02:30 - Middle tier
1:04:30 - A10 First Team
1:08:30 - A10 All-Rookie
1:12:20 - Wrap!

Also I'll be on a Dayton pod this week doing a game preview, in case you can't get enough of listening to me. Will report back.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Dayton is one of those teams I hope Edwards and staff aspire to become... consistently good with terrific support from a big fanbase.

I'd like to think that if we win this thing and go to 6-1, the rest of the league is officially on notice.

Nice call and, actually, plausible. A really good pedigree for sure Dayton hoops. I know many on these boards don't like vcu/ODU for many reasons (and some of them good), but these are historically well supported/successful programs as well on a non-Major power level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
http://www.blackburnreview.com/2019/01/22/bbr-podcast-episode-11-particularly-patriotic-with-petey/

Haven't listened to it yet but had fun talking to the Dayton guys for this pod. I've been informed they go out of their way to make fun of Bryan's live-tilting after the American game, so there's something in here for everyone.
I like this Blackburn guy. George Mason Preview:

http://www.blackburnreview.com/2019/01/22/recon-george-mason-5/

I wanted to make a copyof the below pic with GMU .... if only women had three butt cheeks (sigh) oh well.
upload_2019-1-22_15-35-24.png

Last edited:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not bad other than the fact that we don’t have all 5 starters from last season. Not even close anymore.
You could make the argument Grayer wasn’t really a true starter last year. But yeah he’s wrong on Mar.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
If you subscribe to the theory that 13-5 gets you a top 4 seed (some years 12-6 gets it done) and you like the 3 game season bit, then we are right where we need to be and 1 up for 12-6. Needing to go 2-1 in every 3 game series to keep pace, we need to either steal this one or the vcu game next week while holding serve at home vs GW. With only one game vs Dayton, this might be the better one to get for tiebreaker senecios than vcu since we get two cracks at them.

All of that is a really long winded of saying tonight is big. Not the end of the world if we drop it, but we are in a really good position if we get the W.

LET’S GO!

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you subscribe to the theory that 13-5 gets you a top 4 seed (some years 12-6 gets it done) and you like the 3 game season bit, then we are right where we need to be and 1 up for 12-6. Needing to go 2-1 in every 3 game series to keep pace, we need to either steal this one or the vcu game next week while holding serve at home vs GW. With only one game vs Dayton, this might be the better one to get for tiebreaker senecios than vcu since we get two cracks at them.

All of that is a really long winded of saying tonight is big. Not the end of the world if we drop it, but we are in a really good position if we get the W.

LET’S GO!

Hard to believe 10-8 got St. Joe's into the top 4 last year.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to believe 10-8 got St. Joe's into the top 4 last year.

Yeah, last year was a jumbled mess in the middle. Unless these bottom teams start pulling off some upsets and get themselves into the mix, I don’t think it’s going to happen. I wouldn’t mind it though - anything to get a top 4!

FreeGunston12

All-American

LET’S GO!
Definitely a game where there is more to gain than to lose. Glad the team has been able to put themselves in this position. I enjoy being able to watch without feeling like the season is on the line each night.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This is one of those games where a slow start will hurt is more than usual. Can't be down 10+ early to this team in the 1st half. Can't expect to continue the trend of coming back in the 2nd half to win. I'd like to see a complete game tonight from start to finish. If we can do that, we have a good chance to win. A loss would suck, but as long as it's close I would be okay.

Nah, who am I kidding... let's get the win on the road tonight to go to 4-0 on the road in A10 play and 6-1 on conference play

JPgmuswim

Starter
I’m not sure what to expect out of tonight’s game. Coach Grant has brought in a big athletic team in his second season at Dayton. I watched them against the Bonnies on Saturday and really expected them to crush them but they ended up winning in double OT. Like us, they haven’t played many top A-10 teams other than a loss to vcu.

I think like most of our games its going to depend on how well we are hitting 3’s. I’d like to see us get the ball inside early and try to get their 2 bigs in foul touble. I think we either win by a little or get crushed by a lot.