Game 20: AT University of Dayton, Wednesday, January 23rd, 7 PM, ESPN+

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
For anyone in Ohio, the game will be shown there on Spectrum News One.

Dayton comes in with a 12-6 record (9-1 at home) after beating St. Bonaventure in double OT on Saturday by a score of 89-86.

The schedule is here: https://daytonflyers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=2231
The roster is here: https://daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?roster=1311&path=mbball
The stats are here: https://daytonflyers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball

Last season's box score from Fairfax (85-67 win): https://gomason.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8289&path=mbball

Dayton's message boards: https://dayton.forums.rivals.com/forums/red-blue-forum.8/ or http://udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32770

Josh Cunningham is averaging 15.6 PPG/6.6 RPG (got 15 points in last season's game), Jalen Crutcher is averaging 13.7 PPG, Obi Toppin (redshirt freshman) is averaging 11.9 PPG, Jordan Davis is averaging 11.2 PPG (scored 2 points in last season's game), Trey Landers is averaging 10.6 PPG/7.6 RPG (got 6 points in last seasons game and 1 rebound).

Ryan Mikesell is averaging 9.1 PPG (started 17 of 18 games).

Discuss.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I have no expectation of winning this game, but this is one if we play our best game we have a shot.

This is probably our first game where we are going to have to contend with a legit A10 big. So it will be interesting to see how we do.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This will be a nice road challenge in front of a packed house. GMU pulls it out in the end 69 - 68.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They have two uber athletic big men.. I don't think we have enough to match them unless Kier gets one in really bad foul trouble early... our guards>their guards. their bigs>>>>>>our bigs Dayton in a 7 point win

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Despite our win last year - this will be a tough game. We will need Reuter to continue his solid post play from a defensive perspective. We will also need to throw some different defensive looks to keep them inconsistent in the paint.

Let's hope our strength on the road continues.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They have two uber athletic big men.. I don't think we have enough to match them unless Kier gets one in really bad foul trouble early... our guards>their guards. their bigs>>>>>>our bigs Dayton in a 7 point win

I suspect they’ll do something similar to what they did against Holloway and Langevine, with quick doubles when they touch and trying to jump passing lanes.

All in all this is a big game for Mason. They played Davidson close, so I suspect they’ll play Dayton close too.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I suspect they’ll do something similar to what they did against Holloway and Langevine, with quick doubles when they touch and trying to jump passing lanes.

All in all this is a big game for Mason. They played Davidson close, so I suspect they’ll play Dayton close too.
These bigs aren't Holloway or Langevine type... Toppin is AJ's clone but about 30 lbs heavier as a freshman... and Cunningham has amazing post moves... hook shots with both hands and can take off the dribble...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
These bigs aren't Holloway or Langevine type... Toppin is AJ's clone but about 30 lbs heavier as a freshman... and Cunningham has amazing post moves... hook shots with both hands and can take off the dribble...

I haven’t watched either play closely, but Cunningham sounds like he’s going to have to be doubled to avoid him getting comfortable post moves. No clue about Toppin but they’ll have to figure something out with him.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I haven’t watched either play closely, but Cunningham sounds like he’s going to have to be doubled to avoid him getting comfortable post moves. No clue about Toppin but they’ll have to figure something out with him.

Cunningham was on their team last year and we beat them so - not sure if this will be an impossible task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Cunningham was on their team last year and we beat them so - not sure if this will be an impossible task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We destroyed Dayton last year. But Otis had 29 points and hit 7 3s, so I’m not sure that’s going to happen this year (maybe it’s Kier who does it)?

Either way, we have to bring our A game on both sides of the floor.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
The Flyers are, well, flyin’...

G Mas 71
Dayton 72

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Dayton is streaky shooting the 3 — Davis has been terrific lately and Crutcher has very deep range — but I would be shocked if we don’t aggressively double Cunningham on every catch because otherwise he might score 50. Gotta pick your poison.

vcu did a good job of swarming Cunningham and Toppin — they only got up 12 shots between them and combined for 21 points.

But Dayton is a completely different animal at home. Under Grant they have been basically unbeatable at UD Arena and terrible on the road. We’re gonna need the A game to win and even that might not be enough.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Dayton is streaky shooting the 3 — Davis has been terrific lately and Crutcher has very deep range — but I would be shocked if we don’t aggressively double Cunningham on every catch because otherwise he might score 50. Gotta pick your poison.

vcu did a good job of swarming Cunningham and Toppin — they only got up 12 shots between them and combined for 21 points.

But Dayton is a completely different animal at home. Under Grant they have been basically unbeatable at UD Arena and terrible on the road. We’re gonna need the A game to win and even that might not be enough.

I would agree in general - but this is where I put some value on that Kansas State game. We played them in their home court and almost brought it home. K-State is much better than Dayton talent wise - so I think this is where our mental toughness comes into play.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would agree in general - but this is where I put some value on that Kansas State game. We played them in their home court and almost brought it home. K-State is much better than Dayton talent wise - so I think this is where our mental toughness comes into play.

We played K-State when Dean Wade was still out, and without him they’re not clearly more talented than Dayton (or Mason, for that matter).

And K-State didn’t have 13,000 screaming fans like Dayton will.

I’m not saying we can’t win, but our guys are going to have to be poised because it’s a huge game for both teams and UD Arena is a tough place for visitors.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
And K-State didn’t have 13,000 screaming fans like Dayton will.

Not that it matters much, but K State had a pretty decent crowd of 10,000. Having been to that game and seen us play at Dayton before, the crowds are pretty similar. Neither has a huge student group, but more young alumni and locals who are pretty vocal... much more than at a Mason game.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Hanging my hopes on the theory that the team plays better when the expectations are lower (e.g. road wins in the conference, K-State) than they are when we are expected to win (early season home losses and, to some extent, vs Fordham). Clearly we will be the underdog at Dayton. Lower expectations--> better performance.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
FYI....Kenpom also rates home court advantage for each team based largely on the difference in fouls called against the team home vs away. Dayton is 20th in Div 1 at 4.0 pts with 4.7 fewer fouls called against them at home, while we are 273rd at 2.6 pts with 3.1 fewer fouls called against them at home.