Game 18, AT Rhode Island, Jan 18, 12:30 PM, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
This was a team we handled well enough at the Pat Center back in Nov. Let's bounce back and get our first A-10 win! Despite the frustrations of last night, I believe we might actually be coming together. Sad to think that a win against Rhode Island is a benchmark for us - but it's come to that. Need to get that W.

PDGL Hoops

Starter
It will be interesting to see if our players are mentally shot after the last two close home loses or if they now have to confidence in themselves that they can play with the upper teams in the league (even if we lose). Need to get this first A-10 win under our belt -

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We're gonna get worked.

Can't invest that much in three consecutive games, have a chance to win all three and come up empty all three times without doing some psychological damage.

I'll be shocked if the guys don't come out flat Saturday.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure how the team will bounce back on the road after the losses they've suffered the last few games. If it's close within the final minute I really hope we have extra TO's. If it's not close, then I'll assume we had another sleeper hold put on our offense for several minutes and the other team decided to actually take advantage and pull away. I'm clearly not as optimistic as some of you are, and am hesitant to see where it's coming from.

URI: 67
GMU: 60

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
We're gonna get worked.

Can't invest that much in three consecutive games, have a chance to win all three and come up empty all three times without doing some psychological damage.

I'll be shocked if the guys don't come out flat Saturday.

I think the opposite.

Team knows it blew it and sees chance for redemption against a squad it knows it can beat.

Start of a 2 game win streak that gives a confidence boost going into GW game.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I really don't think our players are intimidated by any team, especially on the road. They didn't back down against vcu or UMass. In fact, they took it to both of them pretty aggressively.

The issue is mental lapses and execution, which is something they need to go fix n practice. If one player froze up on breaking the press last night, then the entire team should run that play 100 times in practice today to ensure nobody freezes up next time.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The issue is mental lapses and execution, which is something they need to go fix n practice. If one player froze up on breaking the press last night, then the entire team should run that play 100 times in practice today to ensure nobody freezes up next time.

IMO, this team needs to drill this facet of the game every day in practice.

Patriotfan49

Starter

The problem with that in practice, is our press is full of holes and is easy to break.......so when going against it in practice it is easy. It hardly will emulate a real press lol.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The problem with that in practice, is our press is full of holes and is easy to break.......so when going against it in practice it is easy. It hardly will emulate a real press lol.

Then, perhaps Coach Hewitt needs to invite local former players like John Vaughan to practice against the current players.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if the fact that we have used so many players and various lineups has an effect on our late-game issues. Like Patriot99 pointed out, we had Sherrod throwing the ball in one time and then Jenkins another.

For example, Jenkins might be throwing it in when J2 is on the court, but he might be breaking long when Copes is in. Every player might need to know three different positions based on who is in the game and what to do based on where the ball is being inbounded, which could explain some of the brain farts in stressful situations.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I really don't think our players are intimidated by any team, especially on the road. They didn't back down against vcu or UMass. In fact, they took it to both of them pretty aggressively.

Or as Coach Hewitt said last night, these players should be able to run plays in their sleep, as many times as plays are drilled into them.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Or as Coach Hewitt said last night, these players should be able to run plays in their sleep, as many times as plays are drilled into them.

Evidently not because a few of them did seem like they were sleeping out there, and the plays still didn't work. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.