Game 17: AT George Washington University, Saturday, January 17th, 4:30 PM, NBCSN

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
GW plays Richmond at the Smith Center tonight at 7 which is being televised on ESPNU.

GW currently has a 12-4 record and has a 6-0 home record.

Last year's box scores:
http://www.gwsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/gmu-mb20.html (in Fairfax)
http://www.gwsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/gm28gmu.html (in DC)

Schedule and stats to date:
http://www.gwsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

3 players average double figures in points (Garino, Savage and Larsen) and Larsen is averaging 7.3 RPG. Watanabe is averaging double figures in points in 3 conference games that have been played.

Discuss.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As Clubber Lang famously said when asked to predict the outcome of his fight with Rocky Balboa, "PAIN!"

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason has never won (I think?) at the Smith Center and only beat GW twice ever. Someone can check the facts for me.

This one could and will get ugly.

GW 83 Mason 60

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
I'll need to be drunk to make it through this game. Drink every time Holloway chucks up an ill advised shot. Drink when Hewitt calls a timeout to cool off our own momentum. Drink for every Vaughn Gray air ball. That should do the trick.

GW 79
Mason 57

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Remember when GW and Mason were both looking for coaches at the same time?

They'd just fired theirs and ours had left for the ACC?

We'd gone 16-2 in conference play, were coming off a second round win in the NCAA tournament and had set the NCAA record that year for consecutive wins; they'd missed the post-season again and had lost to us by 14?

Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll need to be drunk to make it through this game. Drink every time Holloway chucks up an ill advised shot. Drink when Hewitt calls a timeout to cool off our own momentum. Drink for every Vaughn Gray air ball. That should do the trick.

Here's the website for Alcoholics Anonymous in the DC area. They'll be expecting your call at halftime Saturday.

http://www.aa-dc.org/

Dawgs99

Starter

GW 79
Mason 57

This is spot on, especailly the part about VG's next air ball and Pat jacking up 3's like he's paid by the shot. You could make the arguement that out best guard is Isaiah Jackson.....sad state of affairs.

MasonCrew

Starter

We'd gone 16-2 in conference play, were coming off a second round win in the NCAA tournament and had set the NCAA record that year for consecutive wins; they'd missed the post-season again and had lost to us by 14?

This a million times over. To see where they are now vs where we are is disgusting. Considering where we were just makes it that much more frustrating. How this man still has a job is beyond me.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

That was going to be my #FirePaulHewitt meme for later this week. I have already been working on it.

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Washingtonian,

What move would you recommend to Edwards?

Firing Hewitt sends a message to the players that "we know what you're doing isn't working and we want to change so you can start winning." Even letting Huston take the wheel (while we might not win many more games) would let the players know that their efforts come first and that we want to bring in a guy who will properly manage their talent and teach them to be better.

I know the kids seem to love Hewitt and playing for him, but I gotta think winning with a coach you don't "like" as much is more fun than losing a ton with a coach you love.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I know the kids seem to love Hewitt and playing for him, but I gotta think winning with a coach you don't "like" as much is more fun than losing a ton with a coach you love.

You know, the people that have had the biggest positive impact in my life were people that I hated or thought was the most annoying back then. Coaches are supposed to mold young kids and make them realize their potential, even if its at the expense of being their "friend"

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Firing Hewitt sends a message to the players that "we know what you're doing isn't working and we want to change so you can start winning." Even letting Huston take the wheel (while we might not win many more games) would let the players know that their efforts come first and that we want to bring in a guy who will properly manage their talent and teach them to be better.

This sounds good to me, although Eric Skeeters would be my choice of the Mason assistant to serve as interim coach. However, I don't see anything changing with respect to Hewitt for at least a month and likely not until the completion of the season.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
This sounds good to me, although Eric Skeeters would be my choice of the Mason assistant to serve as interim coach. However, I don't see anything changing with respect to Hewitt for at least a month and likely not until the completion of the season.

Me neither. And at the same rate the AD's job is to work with the students, not cater to the fans. I doubt we'll get a Hewitt firing if everyone is going to class and getting good grades, even if we are losing on the court. The main pressure is the loss of revenue and support from having a losing basketball team, which won't really be a factor until the offseason since this season is already nearing its end.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Adding to that, my sources (real, in-the-organization sources) did confirm to me that season tickets are way down and I can't imagine they would be expecting that to turn around with another year of Blewitt. I was told this in December and it's only gotten worse since then, so people involved with the team must know.