Game 16: St. Joe's, January 11, 8 PM, CBS Sports Network

sjhawk13

Four-star Recruit
We will win one half. Hopefully it is the last half and the first half hole isn't too big. Or our second half meltdown won't be that bad.

I've determined that the final three minutes of every game is a Martelli Meltdown
™. I believe UMass went on a 18-5 run to close out and win the game on Wednesday. Can Hewitt truly be able to outdo that?

I felt like we had a real frontcourt advantage, but with Roberts out I don't really know, even with Halil Kanacevic at his best.

This game is a push. Expect it to be ugly and sloppy.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
He's listed day to day, but I've been told he won't be playing. He's hurting bad after tweaking his back against UMass.

I believe St. Joe believes they can win this game without him and give him a couple extra days rest. If they were playing a top half club from the league he would be out there.

sjhawk13

Four-star Recruit
I believe St. Joe believes they can win this game without him and give him a couple extra days rest. If they were playing a top half club from the league he would be out there.

We will see. UMass doesn't have bruisers (not Bruiser's), so Kanacevic was able to pretty much do whatever he wanted in the paint, and did. I admit I don't really know GM that well, so I don't want to assume he'd have the same sort of advantage.

I don't think SJU is a top half team without Roberts. His replacements and our bench is really that bad.

KAOriginal

All-American
I hear there may a contingent of Mason fans that had shirts printed with the Mason logo upside down--- (similar to the flying a country's flag upside down to act as a sign of distress.)

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Part of our strategy should be to get Kanacevic in foul trouble, then just keep attacking the paint.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
We will see. UMass doesn't have bruisers (not Bruiser's), so Kanacevic was able to pretty much do whatever he wanted in the paint, and did.

We don't have bruisers in the paint either. It'll be good for us if Roberts doesn't play. If our players are smart, like MasonFanatic mentioned, they'll attack Kanacevic, get him in foul trouble and get to the line early and often. I expect a much more evenly called game from the zebras compared to the other night in Richmond.

If we can get to the line early and often, limit our turnovers, not get lulled to sleep for various stretches of the game then I see us winning this game.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Inasmuch as St. Joe's is a Philadelphia Big 5 school, I want Philly native Erik Copes to start (because I know how much these games mean to him) along with:

Marquise Moore
Patrick Holloway
Bryon Allen
Jalen Jenkins

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully Copes plays better against the Philly teams unlike our NY area players and their performance against Iona.

I agree with Pablo's starting lineup. Marko gets back into the starting lineup once he's healthy again.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder what games would be like if we actually played a full 4o minutes of sound basketball. Would we win going away in most? Still have close games? Probably won't ever find out.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I wonder what games would be like if we actually played a full 4o minutes of sound basketball. Would we win going away in most? Still have close games? Probably won't ever find out.

Even good teams with high quality players rarely play 40 full minutes of sound basketball. So I'm not sure how realistic it is to assume G Mas could pull something like that off.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Even good teams with high quality players rarely play 40 full minutes of sound basketball. So I'm not sure how realistic it is to assume G Mas could pull something like that off.

Alright relax. Most teams hit a few bumps throughout the course of a game, I get that.. I'm not saying we make every single shot, get every rebound, hit every foul shot, have zero turnovers etc. I'm just curious how this team would look if we put together a great game for the entire course of a game against any given opponent.

I don't remember the last time you had something positive to say on these boards. Oh wait, you never do. It has gotten old.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Alright relax. Most teams hit a few bumps throughout the course of a game, I get that.. I'm not saying we make every single shot, get every rebound, hit every foul shot, have zero turnovers etc. I'm just curious how this team would look if we put together a great game for the entire course of a game against any given opponent.

I don't remember the last time you had something positive to say on these boards. Oh wait, you never do. It has gotten old.

PMP has a point, dont get all bitter because you dont agree. Id venture to say that Mason put about all they could muster together in the UNI game. So that would be your example

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
PMP has a point, dont get all bitter because you dont agree. Id venture to say that Mason put about all they could muster together in the UNI game. So that would be your example

They did play well against UNI. How would we look against the top teams in the A10 or Oklahoma and Iowa State if we put it all together for the entirety of a game? UNI isn't on the level of some of the teams I just mentioned. Don't think that's the greatest example. We always talk about "man, if this team could just put a complete basketball game together we'd be pretty good." Hewitt preached this in the off season and we've seen it maybe once in the game you mentioned.

PMP never has anything positive to say and disagrees with almost every post on these boards, so yes, I am a little bitter.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
They did play well against UNI. How would we look against the top teams in the A10 or Oklahoma and Iowa State if we put it all together for the entirety of a game? UNI isn't on the level of some of the teams I just mentioned. Don't think that's the greatest example. We always talk about "man, if this team could just put a complete basketball game together we'd be pretty good." Hewitt preached this in the off season and we've seen it maybe once in the game you mentioned.

PMP never has anything positive to say and disagrees with almost every post on these boards, so yes, I am a little bitter.

How is G Mas going to put together 40 minutes of solid basketball against a superior opponent? Whether you want to accept it, or not, the talent is not there.

Last edited by a moderator: