Game 11: GMU (8-2) vs Bridgewater College (9-3) on Tuesday, December 19, at 7:00 PM.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
That’s not the point of scheduling a D3 team in December. This game should have been to smooth out the defense and tighten up the defense, neither of which happened.
This x1000 and hence why Tony was visibly and audibly frustrated at times, especially the first portion of each half.

Giving up 29 points off turnovers/second chance opportunities to a D3 team, don’t care who we’re missing, is awful.

No one is going to freak out over the result of this game, but it’s totally fair to be critical of how the team played in certain areas.

NewPatriot

Starter
That’s not the point of scheduling a D3 team in December. This game should have been to smooth out the defense and tighten up the defense, neither of which happened.
Really? I don't think scheduling has anything to do with the flow of the game.

Basketball is all about mismatches.
You take advantage of them during play until the opponent shows they can stop it.

It's an axiom in basketball..

Now, Tulane will probably have hall first on the scouting report, attempt to deny him his favorite spots or double team and force him to give up the basketball...force other players to beat them. That is when you will see a more balanced box score.

Last edited:

hoops10

Sixth Man
Maybe I am off on this but Keyshawn Hall just plays too much as an individual. He gets the ball and his first instinct is to make a move and shoot. I thought this is supposed to be a team sport, like every other sport.
Also, his passing is lackadaisical, not crisp at all. On the other hand he gets his points and rebounds. I think he has all the talent in the world. I am sure TS is working with him. He certainly can be a big time player if he can continue to refine his game.. No doubt the team needs his points/rebounds.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

FreeGunston12

All-American
Maybe I am off on this but Keyshawn Hall just plays too much as an individual. He gets the ball and his first instinct is to make a move and shoot. I thought this is supposed to be a team sport, like every other sport.
Also, his passing is lackadaisical, not crisp at all. On the other hand he gets his points and rebounds. I think he has all the talent in the world. I am sure TS is working with him. He certainly can be a big time player if he can continue to refine his game.. No doubt the team needs his points/rebounds.
Are we really complaining about the guy that single-handedly outscored the opponent for a half of the game tonight?

Pablo

Hall of Famer

• " The Patriots left their top unit in and stormed ahead down the stretch outscoring BC 24-10 before a Mason Ramey jumper got BC some momentum with just north of a minute to go. Ramey added a block on the other end and a Ryan Steger free throw and an RK Law mid-range make made it 84-60 at the final horn."
LOL

"Hall's 36-point effort was just three off the building scoring record, set by Javon Greene in January 2020. It also marked the first 30+/10+ double-double by a Patriot since a 35-point, 14-rebound effort from Ryan Pearson in December 2011."

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

• " The Patriots left their top unit in and stormed ahead down the stretch outscoring BC 24-10 before a Mason Ramey jumper got BC some momentum with just north of a minute to go. Ramey added a block on the other end and a Ryan Steger free throw and an RK Law mid-range make made it 84-60 at the final horn."
LOL

"Hall's 36-point effort was just three off the building scoring record, set by Javon Greene in January 2020. It also marked the first 30+/10+ double-double by a Patriot since a 35-point, 14-rebound effort from Ryan Pearson in December 2011."
And they are all still chasing Carlos Yates...pre 3-point line.

Dawgs99

Starter
At what point do we get concerned about RP? He looks slow out there an his handle has been real loose this season. To me, we look better when Baraka is in the game running the point. Maybe, as we've seen recently, RP will start to play off the ball more to take advantage of his shooting ability and let Baraka run the offense?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
At what point do we get concerned about RP? He looks slow out there an his handle has been real loose this season. To me, we look better when Baraka is in the game running the point. Maybe, as we've seen recently, RP will start to play off the ball more to take advantage of his shooting ability and let Baraka run the offense?
I’m in the concerned category. 4 points on 2-5 shooting against a D3 opponent is abysmal. I’m all for starting Okojie now then Tony making a game by game decision on what he needs more, defense or shooting, on deciding whether to start Ronnie or Billups at the 2.

Completely agree on his handling, multiple times last night he had the ball poked out or stolen on outright lazy dribbling.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I really like RP's dribble drives to the basket. His scoring percentage seems pretty high when he does that.
But yes, compared to Baraka, he seems to not be able to get out of second gear and his ball handling is not good.
I like Ronnie. He's dedicated to Mason. But he doesn't seem to be living up to senior expectations.
Hopefully he turns it on soon.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I really like RP's dribble drives to the basket. His scoring percentage seems pretty high when he does that.
But yes, compared to Baraka, he seems to not be able to get out of second gear and his ball handling is not good.
I like Ronnie. He's dedicated to Mason. But he doesn't seem to be living up to senior expectations.
Well said. I like when he can get to the basket for layups. His shooting while much improved can be hit or miss. There are times where the ball looks like its always going in, and there are times where he hits the side of the backboard or airballs.

I'm not going to be concerned about him because I know that this is what he does. He will have some really bad games, and he will have some really good games. His inconsistencies will drive us all mad. Its a bummer that he had a crappy game against D3 competition. Hopefully with the help he has in the backcourt, he can be a little bit more consistent as the year goes on. We need him to be at his best. As I say, as Ronny goes, Mason goes.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t know if you were in the Gold Room to hear Bialkoski’s speech, I saw it posted online, but he said that Bridgewater was scheduled, in part, because of the offense they run.

Tulane is playing a NAIA program after us fwiw.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
And they are all still chasing Carlos Yates...pre 3-point line.

No offense to Keyshawn Hall who played a great game, but the basketball gods would not allow Carlos Yates' Mason record of 42 points to be tied or broken against a D-III opponent - https://gomason.com/news/2015/3/4/209924477.aspx#:~:text=Playing against David Robinson and,a 3-point shot).

"As impressive as his game against Duke was in 1983, Yates' best performance probably came in his next to last home game as a Patriot. Playing against David Robinson and Navy on February 27, 1985 in the old PE Building (now renovated as the RAC), Yates put on an absolute show in setting the school's single game scoring mark of 42 points (again without a 3-point shot). Yates went for 25 first half points as the Patriots opened up a 20 point lead on the Midshipmen. He added 17 more in the second half in the 93-77 rout, 42 points on 17-27 from the field and 8-11 from the free throw line. When asked what it was about Navy that made it so easy for him that night, Yates replied 'They didn't make it easy…I just made it look easy.' The original swag. "

"The other moment comes from teammate Ric Wilson, a then junior on the 1984-85 team. At one point during the first half Yates was unstoppable. Yates was dribbling through the Navy zone and driving toward the rim when Robinson, the future NBA star, rotated over to contest the shot. Bodies collided and Yates twisted himself with his back to both Robinson and the basket so he could flip the shot up towards the backboard. With no possible way for Yates to see the rim, Robinson was stunned when Yates not only got the shot over his outstretched arms, but drew the foul and made the basketball [sic] while crashing to the floor. As Wilson tells it, Robinson stood in disbelief as Yates gathered himself off the floor, patted Robinson on the behind and said 'don't feel bad man…I do that move all the time' as he walked to the free throw line."

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You are correct. His spin moves work only half the time and his one arm passes are a problem...great talent but the teams in the A10 will take advantage of this let alone Tulane.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Checking Kenpom stats on Ronnie and Baraka:

Ronnie has the lower turnover rate (19.7 vs 23%), higher assist rate (20.7 vs 18.5), higher effective fg% (47.3 vs 45.6), higher 3 pt% (35 vs 28%).

Baraka is much better at Defensive Rebounding % (11.5 vs 4.4) and drawing fouls--top 100 nationally--(5.9% vs 2%; has taken 41 fts to Ronnie's 7). Also higher 2 pt % (48 vs 45%).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Checking Kenpom stats on Ronnie and Baraka:

Ronnie has the lower turnover rate (19.7 vs 23%), higher assist rate (20.7 vs 18.5), higher effective fg% (47.3 vs 45.6), higher 3 pt% (35 vs 28%).

Baraka is much better at Defensive Rebounding % (11.5 vs 4.4) and drawing fouls--top 100 nationally--(5.9% vs 2%; has taken 41 fts to Ronnie's 7). Also higher 2 pt % (48 vs 45%).
Thanks for finding this - the big concern (and it has been brought up previously I believe) is that Ronny has not drawn fouls at the clip that he needs to for his role. Not sure where it is but I think we'd all like to see improvement on that.

In general, we only had 9 assists to 16 turnovers yesterday which is not good. What was interesting was that Austin Ball had 3 of them.