Game 1: GMU (0-0) vs Monmouth (0-0) on Monday, November 6, at 7:00 PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Post-game, I spoke to my niece and one of her friends (both Mason freshmen) about how they liked the game. They were stoked and loved it. I offered them some blanket criticism about students needing to stand throughout the game. The friend replied, "[Stand] the whole game???".:bricks:

They need role models to show them the way.

The La Barra Brava had a song literally chanting this during the game. The final lyric was “if you aren’t standing you’re a son of a bitch.” (Obviously that’s not going to fly in a college setting, but it gets the point across).

They need a large contingent of fans somewhere (and it should be the Maniaks, but it can be alumni) who just go ham the entire game and get the entire crowd amped. The sheep will go as their shepherd guides them.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was most impressed by Hall and Kelly. Hall plays with a lot of passion and is a beast on the boards. Kelly had a great second half. Of course, Maddox was good but I expected that. Hall and Kelly exceeded my expectations. There were some disappointments, too, but I'll leave those alone. for the most part. I will say that while I think Polite is a good guard, he was awful last night.

I definitely liked what I saw from the potential Hall gives on the floor. He’s a little like Newton but with more lateral quickness and explosiveness.

Skinn called him a point forward who is a magnet for the ball but is still learning. And I can see what he means. If he puts it together in terms of when to pick his moments he’s going to be absolutely impossible to guard one-on-one.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Post-game, I spoke to my niece and one of her friends (both Mason freshmen) about how they liked the game. They were stoked and loved it. I offered them some blanket criticism about students needing to stand throughout the game. The friend replied, "[Stand] the whole game???".:bricks:
Lol this makes me so sad. I feel like they need some inspiration - going to DM the Maniaks some photos I have from the student section in 2010/2011.

Maybe their social channels can share out some pics and videos of what the student section used to be, some cheer suggestions, prop giveaways, etc.

FreeGunston12

All-American
They need role models to show them the way.

The La Barra Brava had a song literally chanting this during the game. The final lyric was “if you aren’t standing you’re a son of a bitch.” (Obviously that’s not going to fly in a college setting, but it gets the point across).

They need a large contingent of fans somewhere (and it should be the Maniaks, but it can be alumni) who just go ham the entire game and get the entire crowd amped. The sheep will go as their shepherd guides them.
I mean the loudest the crowd got was yelling "F*** these refs". So why not?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Liked what I saw, a lot of talent on this team and depth.

Ronny didn’t have the best game and I think he wasn’t completely sure about what to do with Monmouths zone. 5 turnovers and just overall a rough night. Baraka helped him out but also didn’t have the best night. 18 turnovers is a lot but I felt like a lot of it was timing and playing together stuff.

Really like Amari Kelly. He’s a lengthy 6’9 big who can stretch the floor. His 3 last night was big and he also handled Monmouths bigs well. Monmouths Ukrainian big was 0-9 from the field. He’s going to be key on a night when Maddox or Ronny have a rough night.

Defense in general didn’t let up even though offense at times was choppy. Interior defense was great and multiple times there were multiple players going for a block.

Really like that we have a guy like Newton coming off the bench and a guy like Hall available. They seem to need to get into the flow of things but I really like what both bring to the table.

Overall a good opening night win. As expected plenty to fix, but a good buy game win.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It looked like Tony Skinn put 6'9 Woody Newton on one of their guards in order to stop him, that's awesome and a good strategy to put the really tall guy with really long arms on one of their better players

I'm sure we will see more of that in conference play
Woody is definitely a valuable asset — can’t think of many other A-10 teams that can bring in a legit 6-9 guard as the sixth man.

JC_FoodcourtBandit

Preferred Walk-On
That's the million dollar question. In years past I tried to move seats but was told they were taken even though I never saw anyone actually in the seats. The crowds continue to be a disappointment and a mystery.
It is infuriating that they do not let fans move down after x amount of time into a game when the seats are clearly empty. The atmosphere that is created by the stadium management makes the casual fan not want to come back

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Lot to like and lot to not like from game 1. I will say the crowd that was present was loud and created a fun atmosphere.

Things to like:

- If Hall can rebound like that all year it will make not having Haynes more bearable
- Kelly's touch on his shot. Nice to have a big who can knock down free throws late in a game too
- Defensive intensity. Billups, Maddux, Hall and others really get after it.

Concerns:

- Every inbounds play under the basket felt like a 5-second call or turnover about to happen.
- Couple head scratchers in the late-game rotation and decisions by those on the floor. Up 7-8 you don't take a transition 3 with a minute to go. Even if RP3 struggled he's going to find a way to get the ball, control the pace and hit free throws when fouled.
- Our zone offense, live ball turnovers and ability to shut down opposing shooters are all very much a work in progress.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Haven't seen it mentioned but I had noticed Ronnie had been out for a while in 2nd half, looked around for him and he was on the bike - so some leg tightness may have decreased his ability to play and contributed to his game.

My concerns going into this season (without Haynes) were:
*Efficient 3 point shooting
*FT shooting
*TO's
*Low post scoring

Based on VERY SMALL sample size, looks like our 3pt shooting is as good as we good have reasonably hoped with Ronnie appearing to have improved, Maddox being who we thought he was, and Hall and Newton realizing the potential we knew they had.

Kelly however has really increased my optimism with his defense, disciplined play (not having the foul per minutes stats that he had last year), FT shooting and low post scoring. If what he has showed is what he actually is this year, I'm very excited.

TO's and FT shooting are going to be what we need to work on, but I'm optimistic about Ronnie being better and Okojie improving on that over the course of the season. This game is a 20 plus point win with 10 to's or less and 75% FT shooting.

On the other hand, when we are off from 3, the TO's and FT shooting are going to be magnified.

Didn't see that. NOT a good look.
I didn't see it either, but the band was also being inappropriate during the anthem. Cheering, hooting, jumping around. Lots of comments from my row about that.

What's so hard about just standing at attention for 2.5 minutes?

It is infuriating that they do not let fans move down after x amount of time into a game when the seats are clearly empty. The atmosphere that is created by the stadium management makes the casual fan not want to come back
Another pet peeve of mine is the "rule" that you can't go back to your seat until a break in the action. I understand the genesis of the rule, and in a packed house, I get it, but in a game like this (with ~3500 attendance) ..... .who the hell cares?

I guess expecting the portal guards to exercise some common sense (or granting them the authority to use common sense) is a bridge too far.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Another pet peeve of mine is the "rule" that you can't go back to your seat until a break in the action. I understand the genesis of the rule, and in a packed house, I get it, but in a game like this (with ~3500 attendance) ..... .who the hell cares?

I guess expecting the portal guards to exercise some common sense (or granting them the authority to use common sense) is a bridge too far.
No disagreement, but I suspect that’s the direction they got from building management and possibly athletics. They always try to do things they think will help (keyword think) because they know the folks walking in give good money to the school.

I know in 115, the guy is way too gung ho, but if I come back I go to the other section and just hop over if you can find an usher who doesn’t care.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It looked like Tony Skinn put 6'9 Woody Newton on one of their guards in order to stop him, that's awesome and a good strategy to put the really tall guy with really long arms on one of their better players

I'm sure we will see more of that in conference play
How many times was that strategy used against him?