Game 1: GMU (0-0) vs Monmouth (0-0) on Monday, November 6, at 7:00 PM.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also, thought it was interesting that Ronnie was sitting out up until the last minute of the game. Had the freshmen handling the ball late. Gotta admit it made me nervous, but might pay off later in the year

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Really? I wasn’t impressed tonight but I think first game jitters affected him especially in the first half.
If 10 boards and 7 points on 50% shooting are disappointing, Hall is going to be just fine. I do think he dribbled a little too much, but he did have 2 assists and only 2 turnovers — which were fewer than than other guys who handled the ball a lot like Polite (5), Maddox (4) and Okojie (3).

Turnovers aside, I really liked our energy and ball movement. Despite lacking a true back-to-the-basket post player, I loved how active Newton, Kelly and Henry were. This team will win lots of games if we get 29 points from our frontcourt.

Maddox was Tony’s best signing. I’d love to see him score more in the paint —all but 2 of his 17 points came inside the arc — but he’s a game-changer when his shot is falling.

illayin

Sixth Man
Did anyone bet Monmouth against the spread? I wonder if that Woody missed FT will end up on SVP's bad beats for Mason bettors.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If 10 boards and 7 points on 50% shooting are disappointing, Hall is going to be just fine. I do think he dribbled a little too much, but he did have 2 assists and only 2 turnovers — which were fewer than than other guys who handled the ball a lot like Polite (5), Maddox (4) and Okojie (3).

Turnovers aside, I really liked our energy and ball movement. Despite lacking a true back-to-the-basket post player, I loved how active Newton, Kelly and Henry were. This team will win lots of games if we get 29 points from our frontcourt.

Maddox was Tony’s best signing. I’d love to see him score more in the paint —all but 2 of his 17 points came inside the arc — but he’s a game-changer when his shot is falling.
I take it back. Solid stats.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Keyshawn was a fraction of a fraction of a second late on his last made 3 (shot clock violation) or he would’ve had a double-double. He’s gonna be a really good one for us.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hall‘s game is good but he needs to watch his body language. Also laughing and giggling from the guys at the end of the line during the anthem was not good. Overall happy we won!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Also, thought it was interesting that Ronnie was sitting out up until the last minute of the game. Had the freshmen handling the ball late. Gotta admit it made me nervous, but might pay off later in the year
Thought the same. I think Polite would be the first to admit that he could have played better tonight. Seemed really tight and hesitant for most of the game, didn’t start aggressively driving to the basket until 5min left. Probably just a product of playing with an entirely new team so definitely not going to harp on it too much at this point, he’ll be fine.

Okojie plays so freely and with so much confidence for a freshman, makes the inevitable rookie mistakes more tolerable. Really looking forward to watching him grow and continue to adjust to the college game.

I don’t think “Patriot Pressure” translated much on offense outside of a few breaks, especially in the first half when Monmouth was trying to slow it down, but it’s obvious how that philosophy is going to show up on the defensive end. Jumping passing lanes, tipped balls, blocked shots…so much more intensity, movement, and commitment on that side of the ball then we’ve seen in a while.

JC_FoodcourtBandit

Preferred Walk-On
Hope Henry is alright that looked like a hard fall.

Not much more you can ask for in a first game with 10 new players and a new coaching staff. Great great victory, and a super encouraging sign for the Tony Skinn Era.

Through two exhibitions and one game this is the most fun I’ve had watching Mason Basketball in a while, the team is so different than what we’ve been used to watching.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Hope Henry is alright that looked like a hard fall.

Not much more you can ask for in a first game with 10 new players and a new coaching staff. Great great victory, and a super encouraging sign for the Tony Skinn Era.

Through two exhibitions and one game this is the most fun I’ve had watching Mason Basketball in a while, the team is so different than what we’ve been used to watching.
TS said he's fine in the presser

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hall‘s game is good but he needs to watch his body language. Also laughing and giggling from the guys at the end of the line during the anthem was not good. Overall happy we won!
Didn't see that. NOT a good look.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

I don’t think “Patriot Pressure” translated much on offense outside of a few breaks, especially in the first half when Monmouth was trying to slow it down, but it’s obvious how that philosophy is going to show up on the defensive end. Jumping passing lanes, tipped balls, blocked shots…so much more intensity, movement, and commitment on that side of the ball then we’ve seen in a while.
Before we get too carried away, don't overlook that Monmouth got 9 steals to our 5 and Mason lost the turnover battle 18-12.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Before we get too carried away, don't overlook that Monmouth got 9 steals to our 5 and Mason lost the turnover battle 18-12.

Don’t think anyone is getting carried away. We can admit we played sloppy on one end (several lazy giveaways and errant passes) and also recognize effort on the defensive end. Both things can be true.