Farewell to Ahmad Gilbert

JBiggs

Starter
Now that ESPN actually noticed Gilbert's commitment, they bumped him down to 3 stars. It's almost comical how many times that has happened.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Now that ESPN actually noticed Gilbert's commitment, they bumped him down to 3 stars. It's almost comical how many times that has happened.

Screw ESPN. They did the same thing to Jenkins and he made the A-10 all-rookie team. Hope Ahmad enjoys an identical level of success at Mason.

Patriotfan49

Starter

I don't really understand what the point of this is. Does him committing to a non BCS school make them believe that shows their rankings to be inaccurate....or something...

Last edited:

gmu05

Starter
Intelligence probably factors into the star rating at some point and I think faith in Hewitt is worth losing a star

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's all about maintaining the hype of the BCS schools' fictional superiority.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I keep hearing the claim that non-Power 5 conference recruits are more likely to be downgraded once they commit but is that really true?

Someone should do a study

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I keep hearing the claim that non-Power 5 conference recruits are more likely to be downgraded once they commit but is that really true?

Someone should do a study

Depends on the school.

It happens to our guys and has for some time, but I highly doubt a kid is gonna get downgraded for signing with Wichita, Gonzaga or vcu.

Given the slurp-fest the media gives Shaka, his signees probably get an extra star for even convincing the little genius to offer them a scholarship.

gmu05

Starter
The thing is, some of these are rated higher when they are younger. Then they enter their junior and senior years and sometimes don't live up to the hype or potential as their earlier ratings. If they do live up to the hype they generally go to bigger programs.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The thing is, some of these are rated higher when they are younger. Then they enter their junior and senior years and sometimes don't live up to the hype or potential as their earlier ratings. If they do live up to the hype they generally go to bigger programs.
Very good point.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
kids probably less likely to stick it out with a coach that didn't recruit them. Good luck to him. Like John Crosby who went to Dayton, Tim Quarterman, Tamarcas Blanton, I will be watching how they do.

Kenny Willams coached by former GMU player Troy Manns asked for his release from vcu.

Last edited:
Oh well. Good luck to him if he decides to go elsewhere.

Betting he'll regret it by the time he's a senior, though. No doubt in my mind we'll be hitting higher heights than Boston College or South Florida. Dayton, I don't know, but I do know I wouldn't want to go to college there. Boring, drab hole in the middle of Ohio.