Farewell to Ahmad Gilbert

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This just in:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1m
George Mason has landed Ahmad JR Gilbert, a 6-7 forward with Team Final, source told ESPN.

gilbert2.jpg

Here is some more info from the Philly site linked below:

Scouting Report
He is a long, lengthy, athletic wing that is becoming a very good 3-point shooter. Gilbert excels in the open court and can finish in transition with both hands. He will need to learn to drive the ball in the half court more and develop a go-to move. Due to the fact he isn’t good at creating his own shot in the half court he settles for too many jump shots right now; however, he is becoming very good at knocking down mid-range jumpers as well. He is a very good defensive player in the halfcourt and uses his length very well to alter shots. Gilbert is slender, and will have to get stronger as he gets into college. He will most likely end up in the A-10, CAA or the AAC. –March 20, 2014

12 Offers
He had offers from George Mason, St. Bonaventure, Towson, Wichita State, Duquesne, South Florida, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Delaware, Fairleigh Dickinson, Rhode Island and Drexel.

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/recruiting-profiles/ahmad-gilbert-f-2015/

Last edited:

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
CoBL already has another story up on him:

Two weeks after visiting George Mason University, Constitution senior Ahmad Gilbertcouldn’t stop thinking about the school.

So he decided to end his recruitment on Friday afternoon, becoming the Patriots’ first commitment for 2015.

“[George Mason] really loved me, they showed a lot of interest, more than all the [other] schools,” Gilbert said. “That’s somewhere I can play, they play my type of style.”

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/08/constitutions-ahmad-gilbert-headed-to-george-mason/

Dawgs99

Starter
Looks like we got him before any BCS schools got involved. Another 6-7 kid....sounds and looks like a solid pick up. The staff must have made him a priority.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Looks like he had offers or at least interest from Wichita St, USF, and Temple, as well as a number of A10 and CAA schools.

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
DISCLAIMER: No offense to Ahmad. Wish him all the success in the world at Mason.

At the same time, I can't help but chuckle.

Another 6-6/6-7 wing? Seriously?

Stop trolling, positions mean less and less these days in the high school and AAU ranks. If he turns out to be another backcourt player like Lockett and Jackson who cares what he's listed at?

Afton Mtn Patriot

Preferred Walk-On
This kid played on Team Final (PA) in this year's Peach Jam with the likes of Levan Alston (#80 in ESPN100), Dante Divincenzo (#93 in ESPN 100), LaMarr Kimble (3 Star 77 ESPN Scout Grade), Malachi Richardson, (#15 in ESPN100), and Trey Lowe (#92 in ESPN100).

He only played 14 mins per game and still managed to average 8.8 ppg and 7.4 rpg. His 7.4 rpg was tops on the team (nobody else averaged more than 3.6 rpg).

This kid is GOOD!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Stop trolling, positions mean less and less these days in the high school and AAU ranks. If he turns out to be another backcourt player like Lockett and Jackson who cares what he's listed at?

While you have a point about versatility, there's also a concern about trying to jam a square peg into a round hole simply for the sake of "length and athleticism."

It remains to be seen if Jackson will be able to play PG effectively at the A-10 level.

It remains to be seen if Lockett has the perimeter game to play SG.

It also needs to be noted that Jalen Jenkins is going to play 30 minutes a game at one of the forward positions (perhaps SF) for the next 3 years, barring injury or transfer.

So if we wind up with 4-5 guys who all are most effective at the same position, that's not gonna make much sense from a roster management perspective. Only so many minutes to go around.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope Ahmad is big on loyalty. If he blows up and has a huge senior year, the P-5 schools are gonna come out of the woodwork like the cockroaches they are.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
All of the articles I'm reading about him he seems like a shooter to me. Replace Holloway after he graduates with a 6'7 SG, sure and THANKS!

Dawgs99

Starter
I hope Ahmad is big on loyalty. If he blows up and has a huge senior year, the P-5 schools are gonna come out of the woodwork like the cockroaches they are.

If he signs his LOI in the fall there's nothing to worry about as far as being poached. Also with the current roster and now Gilbert it seems as if Hewitt will play Jenkins primarily at the 4. JJ will be a nasty stretch 4 in the A 10.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If he signs his LOI in the fall there's nothing to worry about as far as being poached. Also with the current roster and now Gilbert it seems as if Hewitt will play Jenkins primarily at the 4. JJ will be a nasty stretch 4 in the A 10.

I can't help but think Hewitt is gonna want to play Jenkins and Royal together. While James Mason noted correctly that positions are much more fluid these days, that means one or the other will have to defend the opposing SF.

My money is on Jalen. I figured all along that Hewitt was gonna try to turn him into a matchup nightmare on the wing.

Who knows? It's conceivable we could at some point have Jackson (6-6) running the point, Lockett or Gilbert (both 6-6) at SG, Mayimba (6-7) and Jenkins (6-8) at the forward positions and Porter (6-10) at the 5.

That would be easily the longest and most athletic lineup Mason has ever fielded.