Exclusive Interview w/Dave Paulsen! (Excerpt)

OP
L

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As someone who participated in the "disrespect" of Hewitt, I think Butler's perspective might be right. We may have gone too far. But it was never racial.

And that floating dick Hewitt photo was classic. Wasn't that Jollay's work?
It was and it acutally got news coverage hahahahahahaha

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I dunno - the drop off in play was immediate and Hewitt was making pretty crazy money. It is kinda hard for me to feel too much sympathy for him.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Just to clear up something stated earlier in this thread, Lamar Butler played for a Hispanic coach, not a white one.
.[/QUOTE

Not to pick on Jollay, but just to be clear, ethnicity is not the same as race. From Wikipedia:

"Based on the definitions created by the Office of Management and Budget and the U.S. Census Bureau, the concepts of race and ethnicity are mutually independent, and respondents to the census and other Census Bureau surveys are asked to answer both questions. Hispanicity is independent and thus not the same as race, and constitutes an ethnicity category, as opposed to a racial category, the only one of which that is officially collated by the U.S. Census Bureau. For the Census Bureau, ethnicity distinguishes between those who report ancestral origins in Spain or Hispanic America (Hispanic and Latino Americans), and those who do not (non-Hispanic Americans).[4][5] The U.S. Census Bureau asks each resident to report the "race or races with which they most closely identify."[6]

So Larranaga is likely both Hispanic and white.

Also, going back to the Butler tweet, Ed Cooley was Howard's competition for the Michigan. Both are black. So Butler's comment on relating to the players isn't likely a racial comment.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This quickly went from one of the cringiest threads to most entertaining, thank you all.

Herndon

All-Conference
I'd go a step further and say that a lot of the white fan base goes a little harder at Hewitt versus Paulsen. We get it, Hewitt's tenure at Mason was bad. He was a fantastic recruiter and bad coach and thus compiled a 66-67 record while at Mason and was trending in the wrong direction post the jump to the A10. It's fun to poke fun at him from time to time but I've seen pure hatred for him from some. He's referred to as a Cancer, Virus, Dumpster Fire, etc.

Meanwhile DP is given the benefit of the doubt. His first 4 years at Mason he compiled a 65-67 record and is yes trending in a better direction but at the end of the day both coaches have pretty much an IDENTICAL record. One is referred to as a cancer the other is a "savior" or has "made us respectable." I'm not defending Hewitt, I'm not bashing DP. DP is a better coach than Hewitt, the program is indeed moving (slowly) in a better general direction. I just think it's odd that there can be such a disparity between the way we look at the two coaches versus the actual production in terms of wins and losses.
Mmmmm, yeah they have the same record, but one of them was handed the key to a Lamborghini and turned it into a Yugo, and the other one took that Yugo and has turned it into a Ford.

Not really the same at all.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mmmmm, yeah they have the same record, but one of them was handed the key to a Lamborghini and turned it into a Yugo, and the other one took that Yugo and has turned it into a Ford.

Or we could say we gave our Lambo to someone who we watched slowly destroy it. Thus causing some serious hate.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Or we could say we gave our Lambo to someone who we watched slowly destroy it. Thus causing some serious hate.

Hewitt crashed that car the second he grabbed the keys. He could have easily won the CAA in his first season even minus Hancock(hell, JMU won that year, beating the team who came back from 18 down against us in the semis).

G M U

Starter

Could the argument be made that Hewitt inherited a nice car and kept the parts to the car? Held everyone (Pearson, Mo, Acorn, Allen, Arledge, etc) along with the two recruits Edwards and Gray and only lost Luke. I don't think the car necessarily turned into a Yugo, I just don't think Hewitt could drive very well. I think the roster Hewitt inherited vs. the one he left wasn't as big of a difference as a Lambo to Yugo.

Paulsen however sold some nice car parts. He couldn't hold onto Jackson (Providence), Porter (Nevada), CJ Jackson (Ohio St.), Lockett (NC State). With all that said, his car was still in decent shape having two future NBA D-Leaguers (Shevon, Moore) and an experienced Jenkins. To see where the roster is now, I'd say we upgraded vehicles but more like a Limited model vs. a standard model.

Jesus (Urbina) take the wheel!

Last edited:

masonjoe

Starter
I'd go a step further and say that a lot of the white fan base goes a little harder at Hewitt versus Paulsen. We get it, Hewitt's tenure at Mason was bad. He was a fantastic recruiter and bad coach and thus compiled a 66-67 record while at Mason and was trending in the wrong direction post the jump to the A10. It's fun to poke fun at him from time to time but I've seen pure hatred for him from some. He's referred to as a Cancer, Virus, Dumpster Fire, etc.

Meanwhile DP is given the benefit of the doubt. His first 4 years at Mason he compiled a 65-67 record and is yes trending in a better direction but at the end of the day both coaches have pretty much an IDENTICAL record. One is referred to as a cancer the other is a "savior" or has "made us respectable." I'm not defending Hewitt, I'm not bashing DP. DP is a better coach than Hewitt, the program is indeed moving (slowly) in a better general direction. I just think it's odd that there can be such a disparity between the way we look at the two coaches versus the actual production in terms of wins and losses.

Comparing the two situations based on just overall records doesn't tell the story. Hewitt walked in with the best team on paper in the current conference. Paulsen had to rebuild the entire roster in a tougher conference. Hewitt had the CAA player of the year! 24 of Hewitt's wins were in that first season! The A-10 was pretty damn good in DP's first two years also..

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Even when The Virus won with Coach L's guys, they were, for the most part grind out wins that left you thinking this team is lacking chemistry. As his tenure went on, the wins declined bc he couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. vcu and Davidson had no problem coming into the A10 and winning. The Virus ruined our program no matter how you slice it. That's why our fanbase hates him. And for that reason alone.

Masonfan3

Starter
Comparing the two situations based on just overall records doesn't tell the story. Hewitt walked in with the best team on paper in the current conference. Paulsen had to rebuild the entire roster in a tougher conference. Hewitt had the CAA player of the year! 24 of Hewitt's wins were in that first season! The A-10 was pretty damn good in DP's first two years also..

If DP could have convinced a couple of guys to stay then we wouldn't be having this conversation and his roster the first year could have been pretty damn good. Three of those guys went on to start for top 25 programs and would have been solid A10 players. I don't know how much that is on DP but the roster he was given the moment he walked in the door was not all that bad. A roster with Lockett, Jackson, Jenkins, Marquis Moore, Shevon Thompson, and Trey Porter could have competed in the A10

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If DP could have convinced a couple of guys to stay then we wouldn't be having this conversation and his roster the first year could have been pretty damn good. Three of those guys went on to start for top 25 programs and would have been solid A10 players. I don't know how much that is on DP but the roster he was given the moment he walked in the door was not all that bad. A roster with Lockett, Jackson, Jenkins, Marquis Moore, Shevon Thompson, and Trey Porter could have competed in the A10

Having just Trey Porter stay would have changed everything. What did we lack severely in year two and three? A big. Otis, Moore, Grayer, Jenkins, Porter would have competed near the top of the A10 that year (when you consider Kier and Boyd coming off the bench). It’s the one big failing Paulsen has had is an inability to find a true 4 and 5 who is A10 quality. We’ve been playing undersized since year 2 and that has hurt us defensively.

Having Lockett stick around to play the 4 would have been a nice bonus.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Assuming we dont offer our last scholly to a big man, is DP then planning to play small ball with guys who cant shoot? How is this going to work?

Would be nice if some of these outlets would do an interview with DP in the summer.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

The issue was shooting with all those guys. Hewitt recruited just forwards. Lockett was forever hurt, Jackson was super slow, Jenkins and Shevon both needed the paint and Moore was still finding his shot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Assuming we dont offer our last scholly to a big man, is DP then planning to play small ball with guys who cant shoot? How is this going to work?

Would be nice if some of these outlets would do an interview with DP in the summer.
We pray that these guys find a consistent shot this summer......

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk