Exclusive Interview w/Dave Paulsen! (Excerpt)

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Lamar chose to play college basketball for a white coach.

He did. He was also 17. Now seeing the college game from a different perspective I think his thinking has changed. Defending The Virus was by far most perplexing thing I've seen from him. What other reason can you come up with to defend such a sorry excuse for a coach?

G M U

Starter
Who the F is he? Outside of GMU, nobody knows. Butler needs to stop thinking shortsighted and borderline racist. There's no logical reason that can defend The Virus. Butler needs to get off that shit and treat people equally regardless of color. Just bc Hewitt is black doesnt make him immune to criticism. Wake up Lamar or you will be coaching at the Y forever!

I'd go a step further and say that a lot of the white fan base goes a little harder at Hewitt versus Paulsen. We get it, Hewitt's tenure at Mason was bad. He was a fantastic recruiter and bad coach and thus compiled a 66-67 record while at Mason and was trending in the wrong direction post the jump to the A10. It's fun to poke fun at him from time to time but I've seen pure hatred for him from some. He's referred to as a Cancer, Virus, Dumpster Fire, etc.

Meanwhile DP is given the benefit of the doubt. His first 4 years at Mason he compiled a 65-67 record and is yes trending in a better direction but at the end of the day both coaches have pretty much an IDENTICAL record. One is referred to as a cancer the other is a "savior" or has "made us respectable." I'm not defending Hewitt, I'm not bashing DP. DP is a better coach than Hewitt, the program is indeed moving (slowly) in a better general direction. I just think it's odd that there can be such a disparity between the way we look at the two coaches versus the actual production in terms of wins and losses.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You're missing the point. Point is I simply disagree with black coaches favoring other black coaches by saying they relate better to players when they have same struggles as white coaches. One isnt better or worse than the other.
his best player just committed to one of the whitest coaches in the world in Coach K. I just don't think your thought process is even remotely near how Lamar Butler feels or acts

Masonfan3

Starter
Jesus, this is a terrible take. He’s racist because he likes Hewitt? You went from calling him a borderline racist to nailing racist on his forehead. Just because Butler and Hewitt are both black doesn’t mean their relationship is racially driven...

Also, Butler coaches at PVI, one of the best teams in the nation.

Also, also, he clarified his tweet was not about Mason at all. I know content is slow in the summer but no need to make all these assumptions about former players when the answer is in the tweet thread. If you’re bored and wanting Mason content, you know we’re always providing!

The only issue I have with Butler's clarification is he stated that Mason is not at a level to hire a coach of Howard's magnitude as Juwan Howard has not proved anything as a coach. Lamar is a good ambassador for the university and I think he would make a great assistant coach, so I take issue with him thinking Mason couldn't get a quality coach/former player in here. Other than that, I agree with what Lamar is saying about hiring a coach that can relate to the players and you don't have to be black to relate to them.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
his best player just committed to one of the whitest coaches in the world in Coach K. I just don't think your thought process is even remotely near how Lamar Butler feels or acts

Again, it's going over your head.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
...... Other than that, I agree with what Lamar is saying about hiring a coach that can relate to the players and you don't have to be black to relate to them.

Except he isnt saying that last part.

By George.

Starter

Except, again, you’re referencing something you’ve been told about from someone’s twitter.....TF? Just get twitter, it’s free.

Your point has changed multiple times. It’s hard to follow. Feel free to use quotes while telling other people they’re wrong about tweets you didn’t read.

Chank, sorry your thread was highjacked. This is an example of why we can’t have nice things.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He did. He was also 17. Now seeing the college game from a different perspective I think his thinking has changed. Defending The Virus was by far most perplexing thing I've seen from him. What other reason can you come up with to defend such a sorry excuse for a coach?

I vaguely remember Lamar "defending" Paul Hewitt. I wouldn’t say he was "defending" Hewitt. His overall message was that he was disgusted with fans cheering for a man to lose his job.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Except, again, you’re referencing something you’ve been told about someone’s twitter.....TF? Just get twitter, it’s free.

Your point has changed multiple times. It’s hard to follow. Feel free to use quotes while telling other people they’re wrong about tweets you didn’t read.

Lets debate not attack foolishly. Yes I was told. Then I read them myself in the link above. Does Butler not say basically and indirectly that black coaches speak the players' language and can relate to them better than other coaches? That was my take. Then I looked at his history and he basically supports only young black coaching hires. And vcu's Coach Rhoades' extension and raise. And Mason isnt good enough for an unproven black coach like Juan Howard....Really? What's your take?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I vaguely remember Lamar "defending" Paul Hewitt. I wouldn’t say he was "defending" Hewitt. His overall message was that he was disgusted with fans cheering for a man to lose his job.

You can go look it up. But I recall him blaming the players to some degree in the early part of The Virus era.

By George.

Starter
Lets debate not attack foolishly. Yes I was told. Then I read them myself in the link above. Does Butler not say basically and indirectly that black coaches speak the players' language and can relate to them better than other coaches? That was my take. Then I looked at his history and he basically supports only young black coaching hires. And vcu's Coach Rhoades' extension and raise. And Mason isnt good enough for an unproven black coach like Juan Howard....Really? What's your take?

He didn’t mention race and was talking about alum coming back to coach after NBA success. He says he wasn’t talking about Mason. This is a nothingburger. I didn’t attack you once instead you attacked Butler calling him racist and questioning his coaching ability. This debate is trash, I’m out.

P.S. For real though, just get twitter, it’s fun.

OP
L

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You can go look it up. But I recall him blaming the players to some degree in the early part of The Virus era.

Were those players he was “blaming” black? Or did he only blame the white players?

Also If you bring up your talking points, you are supposed to provide the source.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He didn’t mention race and was talking about alum coming back to coach after NBA success. He says he wasn’t talking about Mason. This is a nothingburger. I didn’t attack you once instead you attacked Butler calling him racist and questioning his coaching ability. This debate is trash, I’m out.

P.S. For real though, just get twitter, it’s fun.

He wasnt talking about Mason bc we aren't good enough for someone like Howard. And what does speak their language mean? Dont miss quote bc you like Butler. I like Butler too, but I'm gonna give my opinion and wont protect him like you seem to want to. Looking forward to your content. Dont be afraid to ask the tough questions this year.

Masonfan3

Starter

Actually yes he is. His exact quote/tweet is, “kids would love to play for a coach they can relate to off the court. speaks their language and can show them how to get to the next level.”

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Actually yes he is. His exact quote/tweet is, “kids would love to play for a coach they can relate to off the court. speaks their language and can show them how to get to the next level.”

Yea ok. I'm sure he was talking about Roy William's and Dave Paulsen here.

Just to clear up something stated earlier in this thread, Lamar Butler played for a Hispanic coach, not a white one.

A lot of people try to pin the jackass who killed Trayvon Martin, Ryan Zimmerman, on us whites as well, but he was also Hispanic.

This is a great conversation on rave we needed to have. I too am sad it does eclipse Chank's good journalistic work. However.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Obviously I have nothing better to do today.

"I don't have a problem with GMU fans wanting Hewitt fired. You're judged on wins and losses. I'm embarrassed by the disrespect though."

https://twitter.com/Butler2two/status/577452009999241217
As someone who participated in the "disrespect" of Hewitt, I think Butler's perspective might be right. We may have gone too far. But it was never racial.

And that floating dick Hewitt photo was classic. Wasn't that Jollay's work?