Erik Copes leaves team for personal reasons

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Whack left under Hewitt. 5 players in 14 years? I'll take that over 5 in 3.5 years.

Fanatic, you are right, Whack decided to transfer before OCM left.

GSII, I'm sure there were plenty of others. All five of those I mentioned left post-Final Four, so in the years between the 2006-2007 season and 2010-2011 season.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It's interesting how quickly the school deleted Erik Copes' name from the roster on its website - see http://www.gomason.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=25200&SPID=80389&SPSID=606518.

I met Erik, and my impression is that he's a nice young man who had a real passion for the game (particularly in high school and his freshman season at Mason). I wish him the best!

While I've been a Mason fan, several other players left the team and never completed their eligibility including: Craig Hodges (who quit during a game), G.C. Marcaccini (who quit during a road trip to California), Lee Brown, Nsilo Abraham, Dereck Franklin, Terry Reynolds, Kevin Mickens, & Jesus Urbina.

wijg

Starter
If you check this season's statistics on gomason.com, Erik Copes is now identified as "#4 OTHER" - see http://www.gomason.com/fls/25200/Stats/Men's Basketball/2014-15/teamcume.htm#TGBG.RES

Is this really necessary?
That is a loaded question. If we say it is necessary or discuss the reason for it, we will be accused of being mean, unsupportive, classless, etc.

I am not one to defend the decisions of the AD these days, but one thing I will say is that Mason has usually taken the high road in most things, often to the short term detriment of the team, so if they thought it was necessary, then it likely was necessary.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe the content is database driven and when they took him off the roster it caused the report to throw "Other" as a placeholder. It does seem weird though.
This is almost certainly the case, and it was almost certainly unintentional.