Erik Copes leaves team for personal reasons

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
In fairness, Morrison improved. Now just one substantial improvement in four years, but still.

Not sure I buy that one. To repeat an old argument, Morrison did have a big jump from his Jr. to Sr. year, but you also have to look at in context of his role on the team.

As a Sophomore, Morrison averaged 8.5 PPG and 5.9 RPG. His Junior year he was moved from primarily playing in the low post to the high post to take advantage of Cam Long's ability to drive and post up other guards. The result was a Top 25 ranking for the team and a trip to the 2nd round of the tourney, but for Morrison his stats dropped as he was used to draw the post player outside opening the lane for Cam Long. Being further from the basket, his scoring and rebound numbers dropped significantly.

When Cam Long graduated, Morrison was moved back to the low post and his numbers jumped similar to what you'd expect from being placed back in a position best suited to his skill set and the experience of two more years of college ball.

If anyone, I think Jonathon Arledge is your stronger example for improvement, though even then I have to question was it coaching or finally getting an opportunity with the injury to Copes? On the other hand, you've got Gujanacic whose seemed to regress under Hewitt.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Not sure I buy that one. To repeat an old argument, Morrison did have a big jump from his Jr. to Sr. year, but you also have to look at in context of his role on the team.

As a Sophomore, Morrison averaged 8.5 PPG and 5.9 RPG. His Junior year he was moved from primarily playing in the low post to the high post to take advantage of Cam Long's ability to drive and post up other guards. The result was a Top 25 ranking for the team and a trip to the 2nd round of the tourney, but for Morrison his stats dropped as he was used to draw the post player outside opening the lane for Cam Long. Being further from the basket, his scoring and rebound numbers dropped significantly.

When Cam Long graduated, Morrison was moved back to the low post and his numbers jumped similar to what you'd expect from being placed back in a position best suited to his skill set and the experience of two more years of college ball.

If anyone, I think Jonathon Arledge is your stronger example for improvement, though even then I have to question was it coaching or finally getting an opportunity with the injury to Copes? On the other hand, you've got Gujanacic whose seemed to regress under Hewitt.

You bring up fair points and I wouldn't argue them. The only thing not arguable (is that even a word?) is that we were down 32-4 in the CAAT and didn't get to the post season with a roster that was loaded (or solid, at the least). Whether people improved or not doesn't change the bottom line - unfortunately, at the end of the day we underachieved.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
No hope with guys who claim their avatar pic is an ex girlfriend, but are using a getty image.

101926833-actress-soleil-moon-frye-attends-the-video-gettyimages.jpg

46.jpg
Dude. You are creepy. Quit the obsession already!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think the one stat you aren't looking at QA is FT percentage.

Morrison:

Freshman: .302
Sophomore: .485
Junior: .394
Senior: .550

Now 55 percent isn't so great, but I remember Morrison being a lot more confident and comfortable at the line his senior season and that, to me, showed effective coaching.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Let's see, under PH we lost five players in Copes, JA, Anali, Vertrail, and Paris B.

In that same timespan vcu lost two players, Shannon and Okerafor.

Hmmm....
vcu also lost Tuoyo and Simmons. I don't think there's a big difference between losing 5 players and losing 4 players.

Let's see, under PH we lost five players in Copes, JA, Anali, Vertrail, and Paris B.

In that same timespan vcu lost two players, Shannon and Okerafor.

Hmmm....

We didn't "lose" Anali, VV or Paris. They all graduated and then moved on. JA I guess the same thing. His decision to leave and (but finished undergrad degree)

Copes...I guess it's a good thing we have a lot of APR points.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
We didn't "lose" Anali, VV or Paris. They all graduated and then moved on. JA I guess the same thing. His decision to leave and (but finished undergrad degree)

Copes...I guess it's a good thing we have a lot of APR points.

I'll put it a different way. Those are players who still had eligibility and chose to go elsewhere. The point remains the same.

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
I'll put it a different way. Those are players who still had eligibility and chose to go elsewhere. The point remains the same.

Certain players are also basically told they dont' have a place on the roster any more at that point and are told to look elsewhere if they want to play

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Bennett and Vaughns were probably CAA guys who didn't quite belong in the A-10. I wouldn't be surprised if they were encouraged to seek a better opportunity at a slightly lowered level.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

What point would that be? I mean, what about Sammy Hernandez, Jesus Urbina, Jay Threatt, Kevin Foster, Vlad Moldoveanu and Rashad Whack?

I think it's pretty common for teams to lose players the way transfer rules work now, especially fifth year graduate eligibility.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What point would that be? I mean, what about Sammy Hernandez, Jesus Urbina, Jay Threatt, Kevin Foster, Vlad Moldoveanu and Rashad Whack?

I think it's pretty common for teams to lose players the way transfer rules work now, especially fifth year graduate eligibility.

Whack left under Hewitt. 5 players in 14 years? I'll take that over 5 in 3.5 years.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Whack left under Hewitt. 5 players in 14 years? I'll take that over 5 in 3.5 years.
Whack left before Hewitt was hired. I think he actually had his release before anyone knew OCM was leaving, but I'm not 100% sure about that.