Email Pres. Washington to hire Tony

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not very smart, but if I am reading between the lines here, than I should assume that BE's tenure was far from great and not the change we were looking forward to after the TOC retirement.
You’d be correct! I always wondered why the school hired him.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Guys, there is no need to hound the president or anyone else about hiring Skinn. They know how much the fanbase loves Skinn and is getting all due consideration in this process. They have heard the fanbase loud in clear on the various issues. They are extremely busy finishing up the process of hiring our next coach. I am confident the coach they hire will meet with overwhelming approval by the fanbase. I suggest you give them some breathing room to finish this up. Give them the opportunity to show you they are newly dedicated to our program with their actions.
Brian - IMO there's nothing inappropriate about writing Dr. Washington a brief note in support of Tony Skinn. I complimented him on the English hire and his efforts to restore our once winning tradition. It was a nice note and one that I would be happy to receive were I in his shoes. Kept it short and sweet. That others took the time to write - assuming they were brief, to the point, and professional - doesn't strike me as a big deal. Dr. W has said on more than one occassion that he wants engagement from the alumni. I take him at his word.

I am encouraged that you are optimistic about the process and that it will result in a satisfactory outcome.

Fingers crossed.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
You’d be correct! I always wondered why the school hired him.
Always struck me as weird too. The guy was clearly a football guy and aside from his connection to Washington football didn't seem to be too interested in the job beyond leveraging it into an SEC AD position. He seemed nice enough but nothing about him really fit with Mason...at least TOC was a basketball guy.

As a Washington football fan it was cool to have him and D Green on staff but that novelty wore off quick and the mass exodous of our longtime deparment members to GW of all places raised many red flags for me.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Always struck me as weird too. The guy was clearly a football guy and aside from his connection to Washington football didn't seem to be too interested in the job beyond leveraging it into an SEC AD position. He seemed nice enough but nothing about him really fit with Mason...at least TOC was a basketball guy.

As a Washington football fan it was cool to have him and D Green on staff but that novelty wore off quick and the mass exodous of our longtime deparment members to GW of all places raised many red flags for me.
Interesting point - I was curious about the movement of people from Mason's AD to GW. Was there a dynamic behind that no one has discussed?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He at least got all the low hanging fruit done that we’ve been complaining about forever. But it does seem like once all the easy stuff got done he was ready to rest on his laurels.

Donations had been on the decline. His overall track record on coaching hires were…uh…not good. Staff turnover. Hiring Darrell Green to do nothing…

Seems like if you want to point the finger at the person content with the status quo, I’d be pointing in that direction.

smccart5

Starter
He at least got all the low hanging fruit done that we’ve been complaining about forever. But it does seem like once all the easy stuff got done he was ready to rest on his laurels.

Donations had been on the decline. His overall track record on coaching hires were…uh…not good. Staff turnover. Hiring Darrell Green to do nothing…

Seems like if you want to point the finger at the person content with the status quo, I’d be pointing in that direction.
We all thought big money would flow in from BE and Green and to my knowledge we never saw that happen. We did upgrade the locker rooms but i don't know if that was already funded when he came on, and again a low hanging fruit.

We need someone committed to getting NIL deals for players. We need to get money in kids pockets or we have no chance in competing

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, in general I agree with many folks here that Brad knocked out the easy stuff we always complained about. Didn't matter whether it was beer, scoreboard, lighting, having a practice facility etc. All good stuff and that did take some time to figure out. However that was all easy stuff.

The locker room was a really nice project that Brad brought and I don't think that was low hanging fruit at all. The locker room is now state of the art compared to what we had. I'd have to go through everything and see if anything else wasn't in that easy peezy bucket we are referring to. I'm not 100% about the funding, but I know that had to be privately funded and I believe it was a few million dollars. The few things I have mentioned were all part of the basketball excellence program (other than beer).

That said, the last few years it went pretty quiet. We never heard about whats going on with phase 2, we never heard what was next. Its been almost 2 years since I was told "we aren't sure if we will add to EBA or the RAC", and no official plan has come out other than the rumor mill about something special being announced "sometime soon". Now that we have the easy stuff and a few shiny objects, the momentum has to continue.

In addition, I do agree there needs to be work done to communicate on the NIL front, but its volunteer led like @gmubrian mentioned and led by folks who have dayjobs. We have done some good things, but always more to do there.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Interesting point - I was curious about the movement of people from Mason's AD to GW. Was there a dynamic behind that no one has discussed?
I had a candid 30 minute conversation up in Brooklyn at the tournament this year with one of the people who jumped over to GW from mason. Let's just say the overall atmosphere and dynamic is way different between schools where now at GW they have more resources to get their goals and visions accomplished than at Mason.

However, one big difference this person pointed out is the community and business aspect for fundraising for them now. They are limited in business/corporation opportunities for fundraising and funds compared to what Fairfax and Northern VA could provide to Mason. They are located in DC and compete with Gtown everyday for funds coming from businesses and this has been an ongoing challenge for them. This person said it haas been challenging to get in front of companies in DC since majority are government, non-profits, or political and tough to get funds through these types of organizations. They receive majority of their funds through alumni donations.

This person feels GMU has an untapped landscape with more opportunities to pursue businesses in our area for donations..... YET.... Mason doesn't fully exploit these opportunities and have teams of people dedicated to going after these types of channels.

I would hope a new AD to be addressed on this and can see the immense opportunities to pursue companies and businesses in northern VA for a huge opportunity to capitalize on these relationships and investments. They need to hire multiples resources who can go after corporate entities and start building relationships which can turn in to so many possible opportunities for athletics.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I would hope a new AD to be addressed on this and can see the immense opportunities to pursue companies and businesses in northern VA for a huge opportunity to capitalize on these relationships and investments. They need to hire multiples resources who can go after corporate entities and start building relationships which can turn in to so many possible opportunities for athletics.

You'd think it'd be simple...

"What a pass by [player]; that was like a Raytheon missile."
"vcu has put up so many bricks, they're going to need to get a loan from George Mason Mortgage."
"[player] got so high on that block, he'll be eating a bag of Doritos soon."

Sorry, I'm bored. Happy Monday.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I had a candid 30 minute conversation up in Brooklyn at the tournament this year with one of the people who jumped over to GW from mason. Let's just say the overall atmosphere and dynamic is way different between schools where now at GW they have more resources to get their goals and visions accomplished than at Mason.

However, one big difference this person pointed out is the community and business aspect for fundraising for them now. They are limited in business/corporation opportunities for fundraising and funds compared to what Fairfax and Northern VA could provide to Mason. They are located in DC and compete with Gtown everyday for funds coming from businesses and this has been an ongoing challenge for them. This person said it haas been challenging to get in front of companies in DC since majority are government, non-profits, or political and tough to get funds through these types of organizations. They receive majority of their funds through alumni donations.

This person feels GMU has an untapped landscape with more opportunities to pursue businesses in our area for donations..... YET.... Mason doesn't fully exploit these opportunities and have teams of people dedicated to going after these types of channels.

Tweeder that is an interesting take. Funny they feel they have what they need to get things done - but GW athletics has not been great - basketball in particular. Now with regards to potential - I agree - NOVA is dripping with cash, companies, and growth. The potential exceeds most of our regional competitors. Mason's development in Arlington is getting a lot of attention from companies -- in regards to talent and research. We need to a** rape this as an opportunity for continuous flow of money shots.

From my perspective - we need a new basketball arena, baseball stadium and a redo of Mason Stadium to start attracting advertisers and sponsors. You want NIL Money? We got Boeing, BAH, Accenture, KPMG, Kearny and Company, IBM, Amazon, Google, SRA, GDIT, and Micrososft in the area. Its a corporate whores dream.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Tweeder that is an interesting take. Funny they feel they have what they need to get things done - but GW athletics has not been great - basketball in particular. Now with regards to potential - I agree - NOVA is dripping with cash, companies, and growth. The potential exceeds most of our regional competitors. Mason's development in Arlington is getting a lot of attention from companies -- in regards to talent and research. We need to a** rape this as an opportunity for continuous flow of money shots.

From my perspective - we need a new basketball arena, baseball stadium and a redo of Mason Stadium to start attracting advertisers and sponsors. You want NIL Money? We got Boeing, BAH, Accenture, KPMG, Kearny and Company, IBM, Amazon, Google, SRA, GDIT, and Micrososft in the area. Its a corporate whores dream.
Yes it has never made any sense to me that the largest university in Virginia, located in one of most affluent counties in the U.S., does such an atrocious job of building mutually beneficial relationships with corporations that literally have teams of staffers devoted to buying influence.

It’s like we’re trying not to take their money for some reason.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Yes it has never made any sense to me that the largest university in Virginia, located in one of most affluent counties in the U.S., does such an atrocious job of building mutually beneficial relationships with corporations that literally have teams of staffers devoted to buying influence.

It’s like we’re trying not to take their money for some reason.
We are like the new US Navy Sailor from a farm in Iowa on shore leave in Bangkok and he can't get any action. This is a target rich environment.

My boss asked me to have my practice go over to Mason to do an industry/jobs day and start a relationship with the School of Engineering and the School of Business. we are looking to source candidates when they are sophomores and juniors. I asked if there was a donation requirement to do these and was told no.

I am trying to make a budget for sponsoring something with athletics. To be honest - I don't even know whom to call in the AD.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We are like the new US Navy Sailor from a farm in Iowa on shore leave in Bangkok and he can't get any action. This is a target rich environment.

My boss asked me to have my practice go over to Mason to do an industry/jobs day and start a relationship with the School of Engineering and the School of Business. we are looking to source candidates when they are sophomores and juniors. I asked if there was a donation requirement to do these and was told no.

I am trying to make a budget for sponsoring something with athletics. To be honest - I don't even know whom to call in the AD.
That is ridiculous. If someone asks if there’s a donation requirement that should be an automatic “Yes, you have to donate to our basketball NIL collective.” LOL

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Right on. The AD should be working in tandem with the alumni office team and using all of their tools and compiling and scrolling through alumni databases for alumni who are at these organizations: those who are executives and also have roles in community and funding/development who's sole responsibilities are for outreach, engagement, and relationships to further their companies in multiple areas of development with schools, community, resource hiring, revenue driving, etc.

Muchless.... we should be targeting businesses of all sizes, especially if they are Mason owned businesses. So many alumni have small businesses and can mutually benefit from a relationship with Mason athletics. Especially restaurants.... so many alumni own restaurants in or around Fairfax and majority of Mason grads or community members never know this. The Gold Room is a prime opportunity to showcase some of these great restaurants yet we get the same national chains cheap crap where we should be looking outside the box and giving these mason owned restaurants a shot here. Same with local shops in different industries. All it takes is a phone call or show up to the business and ask to talk to the owner.... something so easy yet Mason just seems to not care nor want to put the effort in.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Muchless.... we should be targeting businesses of all sizes, especially if they are Mason owned businesses. So many alumni have small businesses and can mutually benefit from a relationship with Mason athletics. Especially restaurants.... so many alumni own restaurants in or around Fairfax and majority of Mason grads or community members never know this. The Gold Room is a prime opportunity to showcase some of these great restaurants yet we get the same national chains cheap crap where we should be looking outside the box and giving these mason owned restaurants a shot here. Same with local shops in different industries. All it takes is a phone call or show up to the business and ask to talk to the owner.... something so easy yet Mason just seems to not care nor want to put the effort in.
Which ones? I might seek them out when planning on going out for a meal.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Which ones? I might seek them out when planning on going out for a meal.
Lost Dog Cafe *multiple locations* (co-owned by a poster here)
Cowboy Cafe (Arlington)
Taco Bamba
Dolce Vita
Inca Social
High Side
Giardino Italian Restaurant (Springfield)
Courthouse Social
The Casual Pint
Spartans Family Restaurant (General Manager is alum)
Del Campo Steakhouse (Woodbridge)
29 Diner (Re-opening this year)
Coyote Grill & Cantina - owner went to Lake Braddock HS, has family who went to GMU
Out of the Blue Seafood
Atlas Brew Works
Caboose Brewing (Co-Founder is alumni)
Old Ox Brewery (COO is alumni)
Old Bust Head Brewing Company

Great American Restaurants - Multiple alumni associated with director and leadership roles that oversee their many restaurants.

I'm sure there are way more, these are the ones I know of firsthand.

Last edited: