Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The fact that at least a couple of women's teams have shut down their season without shutting down their men's teams raises a question in my mind. Does this impact Title IX compliance in any way? If not, what prevents a program from doing this on a regular basis, just running an essentially fake women's program to reduce costs and shutting it down mid season etc. Obviously, if they did it repeatedly it would get attention, so this more of a thought experiment than anything else.

KAOriginal

All-American
The fact that at least a couple of women's teams have shut down their season without shutting down their men's teams raises a question in my mind. Does this impact Title IX compliance in any way? If not, what prevents a program from doing this on a regular basis, just running an essentially fake women's program to reduce costs and shutting it down mid season etc. Obviously, if they did it repeatedly it would get attention, so this more of a thought experiment than anything else.

I assume under the cover of health concerns...ie maybe those particular women's teams have had more issues...maybe they voted to stop on their own.

Im sure COVID gives a pass for now. But The NCAA would be all over it was abused that way under normal circumstances.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They still get their schollys. Staff is still paid.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They still get their schollys. Staff is still paid.

Title IX is about ensuring equal opportunity to participate. I think if a school eliminated the women’s teams season to save money they’d run into compliance issues (meaning: if the players file a complaint, there will be a problem).

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Title IX is about ensuring equal opportunity to participate. I think if a school eliminated the women’s teams season to save money they’d run into compliance issues (meaning: if the players file a complaint, there will be a problem).
I am not talking about eliminating a sport, just shutting it down anytime there is a percieved health risk or too many injuries to compete, etc. The spending on your related teams has to be somewhat equal, prevailing market taken into account. For example, Mason has officially declared Men's and Women's basketball their focus sports. That justifies spending more on them then others. Women's doesn't have to have the same salaries as Men's but it has be market rate for similarly competitive institutions (that is paraphrasing from memory).

They would save on travel and hosting fees, maybe some others I haven't thought of. If you wanted to take advantage of this, though, you might be able to pay pseudo coach the low end of the market rate, not spend on travel, recruiting and other things when you are not actually operating.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No. I know. I’m saying if the players didn’t agree to stop playing and the university doesn’t shut down both men’s and women’s at the same time, they’ll have a problem.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...basketball-tournaments-held-fans-due-covid-19:

"The Summit League men's and women's basketball tournaments will be held without fans and moved to a smaller venue in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, because of COVID-19 concerns, conference commissioner Tom Douple said Thursday.

The tournament is scheduled for March 6-9. It originally was slated for the Denny Sanford Premier Center, which seats about 12,000, and now will be held at the 3,250-seat Sanford Pentagon."

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The silver (literally) lining for UVA and Duke is that their athletic departments are saving money. Fairly certain every women’s basketball program in the country loses money. I know Tennessee loses millions.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
More on women's basketball:

Daniel Frank

@n1a2v3y4

·
47m

So to recap today in #A10WBB:

•Saint Louis is finally returning from covid pause.
•Saint Joseph’s, Davidson and Dayton are going on covid pause.

Quote Tweet

vLa-yU94_normal.jpg

Duquesne Women's Basketball
@DuqWBB
· 53m

Friday night's game against Saint Joseph's has been postponed, due to Saint Joseph's pausing team activities. We'll battle La Salle on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. at La Roche. https://bit.ly/2Knb8IC

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Jon Rothstein Retweeted

Detroit Free Press
@freep

·
11h

All University of Michigan athletics on two-week pause after outbreak of COVID variant

All University of Michigan athletics on two-week pause after outbreak of COVID variant
Michigan athletics is pausing for two weeks due to confirmed cases of the B.1.1.7 COVID-19 variant.
freep.com

"Michigan's athletic department is shutting down for two weeks due to confirmed cases of the B.1.1.7 COVID-19 variant, a department spokesperson confirmed with the Free Press on Saturday night.

The shutdown will affect all sports, including sports that are currently in season like men's and women's basketball, volleyball (which was moved from the fall and ice hockey. The pause will start immediately.

The student journalists at the Michigan Daily were the first to report it.

No changes being made to any other university operations.

'It is our understanding the state did not recommend changes beyond athletics,' university spokesman Rick Fitzgerald told the Free Press.

There are now five cases now confirmed with B.1.1.7, the highly contagious COVID-19 variant, in Washtenaw County. The outbreak traces back to one female student athlete, sources said."

Status
Not open for further replies.