Coaching Search Thread

Herndon

All-Conference
So, all clues point to English.

Here's hoping he's wildly successful.

More importantly, though, here's hoping he is given the tools to be successful. I really really really don't want this to be a situation where we slap a new band-aid on the wound, and change nothing else, and hope for the best.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oduro would definitely be recruited over. My god can please get past these undersized bigs
A big who can shoot (relatively speaking of course) will always have utility. Maybe we could find someone who can push him out of the starting five, but you’d be nuts to want him gone. As much of a lemon as we were sold with Reuter, I always appreciated that he could knock down free throws and hit an elbow jumper. Dave tried so hard to play positionless and it’s funny that Reuter was as close as he ever got.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Oduro would definitely be recruited over. My god can please get past these undersized bigs

According to Kenpom stats, Odoro is 67th nationally in OR% (only Fordham's Soriano is better than that in the A10), 419th in DR% and 238th in Blocks%.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
According to Kenpom stats, Odoro is 67th nationally in OR% (only Fordham's Soriano is better than that in the A10), 419th in DR% and 238th in Blocks%.

He needs to work on his footwork for sure and being more aggressive, probably some lower body conditioning too so he isn’t getting pushed around defensively. He’s still a work in progress.

We definitely need a big in English’s first class, two if Oduro leaves. I’d rather he stay. Curious what happens with AJ and Calixte. We haven’t heard anything out of them.

Herndon

All-Conference
He needs to work on his footwork for sure and being more aggressive, probably some lower body conditioning too so he isn’t getting pushed around defensively. He’s still a work in progress.

We definitely need a big in English’s first class, two if Oduro leaves. I’d rather he stay. Curious what happens with AJ and Calixte. We haven’t heard anything out of them.

I actually like his footwork, at least offensively. He ends up going to his right hand most of the time because he doesn't have a reliable little lefty jump hook, but I'm betting he's working on that. He could get more core and lower body strength, you're right, but he's got good hands, and finishes around the rim, and that right there means he's already probably in teh better half of bigs in the A10.

The idea that he is a weakness when he's already no worse than league average as a Sophomore is silly to me.

ephoops

Starter
I actually like his footwork, at least offensively. He ends up going to his right hand most of the time because he doesn't have a reliable little lefty jump hook, but I'm betting he's working on that. He could get more core and lower body strength, you're right, but he's got good hands, and finishes around the rim, and that right there means he's already probably in teh better half of bigs in the A10.

The idea that he is a weakness when he's already no worse than league average as a Sophomore is silly to me.

Oduro's a keeper. He has three more years of eligibility. He works hard and will continue to develop.

At a minimum, he is a good option off the bench to play with the big men that English will recruit into the program.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oduro is definitely someone I'd like to keep. Even if they can recruit someone who projects to be better and they learn from Oduro or take some minutes off of him, fine by me.

I agree with the aggressiveness. I feel like he plays too nice. He is very talented but sometimes I think he's not meant for the A10 with the bigs he goes up against. Just my gut.

That said, if he doesn't want to stick around, find a transfer big to start with, find a freshman big and move forward.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Our roster has some problems but Josh Oduro isn’t one of them. Hopefully he stays because a core of Miller-Oduro-Kolek would give KE a solid foundation to start building on. Also really want to keep Frazier, Polite and Henry.

Yes, would much prefer to have Oduro and Kolek coming back than not coming back (especially Oduro, since we are already super thin at forward even if he stays).

I doubt Greene and Dady are coming back, so at the very least he's going to have 3 spots to fill. Curious to see what happens to Gadsden and Gray's commitment (both signed LOIs and I haven't seen anywhere that they've asked to be released).