Coaching Carousel 2023

He15man

Starter
Looks like that upper range of $2.5 - $3 million would have put him in top 5 based on (even with Pitino new money):

Surprised to see Sean Miller only getting $2.4 million. Wow!

Either way, good on him.
And i'm honestly not trying to be annoying and cryptic, but I don't want to say something I shouldn't. I'm sure they'll release the numbers eventually. But suffice to say, the package number i heard was way north of 3. Mason wasn't going to be able to come close. ... which, is again why i can't blame the guy at the end of the day.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And i'm honestly not trying to be annoying and cryptic, but I don't want to say something I shouldn't. I'm sure they'll release the numbers eventually. But suffice to say, the package number i heard was way north of 3. Mason wasn't going to be able to come close. ... which, is again why i can't blame the guy at the end of the day.
So now do we just blame Providence? I'll keep holding on to this rock in my hand until I hear back, I'm running out.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

All good! Wasn't trying to get you caught up in anything. :)

More curious on what Mason actually came back with and if it was a pretty compelling offer, why be retroactive (assuming the stories out there are true)? Did Dr. W have to go find budget?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m
I connect with many mason fans (and many folks here) and I have yet to hear anything regarding

1) an offer was made
2) when the offer was made
3) what offer was made

If you can share it, I’d love to know (and many others as well). It appears you are very connected which is great, so hopefully you can share insight.

Washington says he made an offer to retain him in the email that was circulated. I doubt any of us will get specifics though. Maybe we can go bug Goff to ask him?

Masonfan3

Starter
Don’t think you’ll find solid ADs trolling the Mason website looking for help wanted ads. This is part of the problem. Do you think this is how they hired any of our past presidents??

As a public institution, I believe it is a requirement to post jobs. But I get your point

He15man

Starter
I connect with many mason fans (and many folks here) and I have yet to hear anything regarding

1) an offer was made
2) when the offer was made
3) what offer was made

If you can share it, I’d love to know (and many others as well). It appears you are very connected which is great, so hopefully you can share insight.
Offer was definitely made, and that announcement from Dr. W confirmed it. They pitched it yesterday in the midst of all the crazy reporting which was why i was saying nothing was truly final, so hold on trashing the guy. :) But the details of the counter aren't something I can speak to. All I can say is that we tried, but A10 vs. Big East coaching salaries/packages - and what we can afford - are quite different.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Offer was definitely made, and that announcement from Dr. W confirmed it. They pitched it yesterday in the midst of all the crazy reporting which was why i was saying nothing was truly final, so hold on trashing the guy. :) But the details of the counter aren't something I can speak to. All I can say is that we tried, but A10 vs. Big East coaching salaries/packages - and what we can afford - are quite different.
I understand. If you’d like to share privately feel free.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
My prediction, based on nothing, is that Dennis Felton will be named "acting" head coach for next year while the search for an AD and coach takes place. Pure speculation on a possible solution. This should fire up more controversy and debate! ;)
Why not name Simpkins then? He can earn the job for good. No matter what Felton does he will not be the coach.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
There will not be a 1-year stop gap HC. That would destroy recruiting for years to come.
Well why go 7 months without an AD? Never said it was ideal just said it could happen and a better solution than Felton. I wouldn’t be pissed if they hired Simpkins. I would be mad if they named Felton though.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we don't go the Tony Skinn or Jason Williford type route, I would definitely take a look at the Eric Konkol type route. You get a guy like that and you can also bring in Huger to be his top assistant since he was let go from Bowling Green.

Even if we do go get Tony or Jason, I would love a guy like Huger to be his top assistant. Scott Cherry wouldn't be terrible either as he is an assistant at Jacksonville.

I know this is "going after nostalgia" to some degree, but considering Mason basketball history, some of these names have been part of the most successful era we have ever had. It would be stupid to not have them on our list and see what they can do with increased resources etc etc etc.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this is "going after nostalgia" to some degree, but considering Mason basketball history, some of these names have been part of the most successful era we have ever had. It would be stupid to not have them on our list and see what they can do with increased resources etc etc etc.
The nostalgia makes me think Tony is clearly the best choice. With the dysfunction going on at the top, you need someone who is committed to the program beyond administrative headaches at a higher level. I feel like Tony will have SO much support from the alums and former players that he could fight through it with the right staff. He would care about the program beyond just being employed as its head coach. Banking on that is risky, but what other options do we have?

As fans, our job is to give him a longer leash than we would another HC we might hire. Not as long a leash as Georgetown gave to Ewing (for example), but we're gonna have to be patient with the guy knowing the difficulties he's probably dealing with given the instability in the athletic department.

Hire Tony and then hire an AD who's bought in on Tony being our guy.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The nostalgia makes me think Tony is clearly the best choice. With the dysfunction going on at the top, you need someone who is committed to the program beyond administrative headaches at a higher level. I feel like Tony will have SO much support from the alums and former players that he could fight through it with the right staff. He would care about the program beyond just being employed as its head coach. Banking on that is risky, but what other options do we have?

As fans, our job is to give him a longer leash than we would another HC we might hire. Not as long a leash as Georgetown gave to Ewing (for example), but we're gonna have to be patient with the guy knowing the difficulties he's probably dealing with given the instability in the athletic department.

Hire Tony and then hire an AD who's bought in on Tony being our guy.
If Tony comes and is successful, I really don't think he jumps at the first offer he gets...unless he gets "an offer he can't refuse." :cool:
He might even stay long term.