Coaching Carousel 2023

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I've seen people worry that hiring Tony could leave us in the Ewing-GTown situation. To me, the comps end at former program legend.

- Ewing hadn't sniffed college basketball in 30 years
- He was horrible at player retention and connecting with today's college players
- He put together a lackluster staff that he blew up out of desperation going into his final year

There are risks/rewards with every hire, as we very well know.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Tony comes and is successful, I really don't think he jumps at the first offer he gets...unless he gets "an offer he can't refuse." :cool:
He might even stay long term.
We just need him to stay long enough — and win enough — to lay a solid foundation, establish program culture and create a succession plan before passing the torch to the next coach.

Easy peasy lol.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Tony comes and is successful, I really don't think he jumps at the first offer he gets...unless he gets "an offer he can't refuse." :cool:
He might even stay long term.
Nobody has a crystal ball, but if I had to bet, the next mason coach whomever that will be, will not stay that many years. It’s just how this business works these days.

However my continued hope (and let’s be real I’ve been hoping this for like 20 years) is someone finally learned a lesson and Mason doesn’t do Mason things with whoever they hire.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

A couple of paragraphs down:
  • What about George Mason? The Patriots have a vacancy following Kim English's departure for Providence -- another job that was open just two years ago, and with a different athletic director than the previous hiring cycle. One can expect a slew of high-major assistant coaches to be linked to the job; Virginia's Jason Williford, Maryland's Tony Skinn, Miami's Kotie Kimble and Georgetown's Ivan Thomas are likely among them. I'd include current Mason assistant Duane Simpkins as well.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nobody has a crystal ball, but if I had to bet, the next mason coach whomever that will be, will not stay that many years. It’s just how this business works these days.

However my continued hope (and let’s be real I’ve been hoping this for like 20 years) is someone finally learned a lesson and Mason doesn’t do Mason things with whoever they hire.

Really depends. Rhoades has been at vcu for 6 seasons now. He’s making a good amount (1.7 million base + incentives), but that’s not way out of step with what Mason should be able to pay if (1 the next coach actually took us to multiple NCAA tournaments; and 2 the admin was serious about being competitive).

Grant: 6 years
Ford: 7 years
Schmidt: 16 years (curious if Penn State wises up and snaps Schmidt up this time).

These 4 have all been more successful than English.

Billy Lange is going into his 5th season and he’s been super meh (but always about to turn the corner!)

In other words, we should be able to hold on to a coach for at least 5 seasons, even if they win the conference, so long as we are willing to pay for said successes.

I would love to see a contract evolution for Mark Few, because when he took over Gonzaga they were still a flash in the pan and he’s stuck around to really build them into a national power.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Did you enjoy the Hewitt era? Want to revisit that one?
Just remember not all retreads are duds. Look at Greg McDermott, he failed at Iowa St snd hired at Creighton while they were still in the Missouri valley and has been crushing it ever since. Now in the Big East and still dancing.

Then you have Porter Moser- Failed at Illinois State and went the assistant route for a while and then hired as HC for Loyola-Chicago and brought them to a sweet 16.

Tommy Amaker. Successful at Seton Hall, underachieved at Michigan, and fairly successful at Harvard (4 NCAA, 3 NIT, 1 CIT).

We all know Anthony Grant’s resume. I’m sure there are plenty of other successful retreads.

He15man

Starter

A couple of paragraphs down:
  • What about George Mason? The Patriots have a vacancy following Kim English's departure for Providence -- another job that was open just two years ago, and with a different athletic director than the previous hiring cycle. One can expect a slew of high-major assistant coaches to be linked to the job; Virginia's Jason Williford, Maryland's Tony Skinn, Miami's Kotie Kimble and Georgetown's Ivan Thomas are likely among them. I'd include current Mason assistant Duane Simpkins as well.
Nice list of names, but I’d be willing to bet the actual short list and eventual pick will have ties back to Mason and the Coach L era to basically have someone who’s affiliated with the most successful period in Mason basketball history.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Another reason to hire Skinn. Dusty May (HC of FL Atlantic ) was at one point an assistant at Louisiana Tech. I think Skinn missed coaching with him by one year.
But they both have very similar progressions. It’s time to hire Skinn!

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
1679625225443.jpeg

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This shows he's an idiot.

Like we can afford to pay off his 800k a year contract thru 2026 and pay him that much or more.to be here.
Not to mention Odom has a good situation out in Utah and the current iteration of Mason’s program would be a step down for him.