Bracketology 2014

mason2k1

Starter
I watched the entire game, and you left out the most important detail from a Mason perspective. Rob Lough and Jake Barnett — two players who killed us from behind the arc — both missed wide-open 3s that would have tied the game in the last minute. Just another example of how snake-bitten we are this year.

Note: I think Dayton is a dangerous team in the A10 tournament. They are the one team in our league that I really didn't think we matched up with well. Everybody keeps talking up vcu, St. Louis and UMass, but Dayton could very well be the sleeper team to look out for in Brooklyn.
my bad.
i was cursing him last night.
he went 1/5 from 3 point land last night, 9 pts.

game 1 @ STL he was 3/5 from 3 TP 23
game 2 @ GMas he went 4/7 from 3, TP 13

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
my bad.
i was cursing him last night.
he went 1/5 from 3 point land last night, 9 pts.

game 1 @ STL he was 3/5 from 3 TP 23
game 2 @ GMas he went 4/7 from 3, TP 13

And pretty much all 7 of the 3s Loe hit against us came from the same spot at the top of the key ... makes you wonder why we couldn't have guarded him better when we knew exactly where he was going to be.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
because that would mean that we make (positive) in game adjustments, and we don't

Well, you don't really have to adjust much to guard a guy who basically spends all 35 seconds of the shot clock in one area on the floor.

He's not athletic at all. He hardly ever plays in the post and he's not going to take you off the dribble. He is a spot-up jump shooter, and that's the only way he can beat you.

We took Loe for granted and he burned our asses.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And pretty much all 7 of the 3s Loe hit against us came from the same spot at the top of the key ... makes you wonder why we couldn't have guarded him better when we knew exactly where he was going to be.

I'm as frustrated as everybody that we lost to a 6-11 Aussie with a Brat Pack name shooting 3s, but we really did need to pick our poison. Jordair Lett was killing us in the second game with dribble penetration and easy layups, so it's easy to understand why our big men opted not to leave the paint to cover Loe a few feet behind the 3-point arc. (It may surprise some, given his success against us, that he is only a 29% shooter from that distance.)

I'm not saying we should have have completely forgotten about him, but Dayton took the same gamble of letting him shoot uncontested 3s last night and it paid off. Given the choice of letting Jett beating us inside or Loe beating us outside, I'd take the latter option 100 times out of 100.

One observation about last night's game: St. Louis was down 3 with 12 seconds to play, and they ran a play through Loe to set up Barnett at the top of the arc. He missed his shot, and one of his teammates got the rebound in the middle of the key with 3 seconds left. Instead of passing it back out for another 3-point attempt to tie the game, he foolishly put up the shot. Not very wise math taking a 2 when your team is down 3. Doh!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm as frustrated as everybody that we lost to a 6-11 Aussie with a Brat Pack name shooting 3s, but we really did need to pick our poison. Jordair Lett was killing us in the second game with dribble penetration and easy layups, so it's easy to understand why our big men opted not to leave the paint to cover Loe a few feet behind the 3-point arc. (It may surprise some, given his success against us, that he is only a 29% shooter from that distance.)

I'm not saying we should have have completely forgotten about him, but Dayton took the same gamble of letting him shoot uncontested 3s last night and it paid off. Given the choice of letting Jett beating us inside or Loe beating us outside, I'd take the latter option 100 times out of 100.

One observation about last night's game: St. Louis was down 3 with 12 seconds to play, and they ran a play through Loe to set up Barnett at the top of the arc. He missed his shot, and one of his teammates got the rebound in the middle of the key with 3 seconds left. Instead of passing it back out for another 3-point attempt to tie the game, he foolishly put up the shot. Not very wise math taking a 2 when your team is down 3. Doh!

If we gave up those 2s instead of Loes threes we win the game.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It is starting to look like the "second best" non-power five basketball conference will be getting six teams in the NCAA tourney while the "best" basketball conference outside of the power five will be getting only three in. How does the Big East respond to this blow to its reputation? Will Fox make them add sooner, rather than later? By taking two (or more) A10 teams, it hurts the competition while helping them. Will it be SLU and Dayton or will our biggest fears come true and they finally agree to take vcu? Will they attempt to get two publics (Wichita State?) at that point? Is UMass in play under that scenario? Would we have been in play if Tom "Dumb a**" O'Conner hadn't screwed us?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If SLU jumps next year they will be in over their heads a la Butler. All five starters graduate and at least from our games with them, their bench was largely useless. Thy will take a big step back next year.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It is starting to look like the "second best" non-power five basketball conference will be getting six teams in the NCAA tourney while the "best" basketball conference outside of the power five will be getting only three in. How does the Big East respond to this blow to its reputation? Will Fox make them add sooner, rather than later? By taking two (or more) A10 teams, it hurts the competition while helping them. Will it be SLU and Dayton or will our biggest fears come true and they finally agree to take vcu? Will they attempt to get two publics (Wichita State?) at that point? Is UMass in play under that scenario? Would we have been in play if Tom "Dumb a**" O'Conner hadn't screwed us?
Saint Louis will be in the Big East eventually; my guess in 2 years.
Dayton will probably move as well, if Wichita St isn't selected.
Big East wants basketball-only schools. UMass wants into the American if they can't get into the Big East.
We were never on the Big East's radar.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We were never on the Big East's radar.

I disagree. We were mentioned in some early articles along with vcu. vcu is not a member now because they are a public. If that no longer becomes an issue then all the investing in Havoc will have paid off. We could have been in the discussion if we would have retained OCM and Luke. We didn't and now the A10 (except for Fordham) is regretting that we were added. Thanks Tom "Dumb a**" O'Connor and Paul "Program Killer" Hewitt.

sigmanorm

Starter
St Bonnie beat St Louis in the tourney. Be cool to have the #9 team in the league win the tournament. More money to Mason to buyout a contract.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I see Coach K is complaining the A-10 may get more bids than the ACC. I feel so bad for him and his ACC brethren.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Pulled this up around 5:45 PM:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

#8 St. Joe's against #9 Pittsburgh (south region)
#7 St. Louis against #10 Iowa (south region)
#8 Oklahoma State against #9 UMass (West region)
#6 vcu against #11 Southern Methodist (West region)
#8 Texas against #9 GW (midwest region)
#11 Nebraska vs. #11 Dayton (play in game, midwest region, winner gets #6 Oklahoma)

#13 Delaware vs #4 Creighton (east region)
#16 Mount St. Marys vs #16 Coastal Carolina (play in game, winners gets #1 Michigan)

Last edited: