Baseball Advances to NCAA TOURNAMENT!

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Beating a #1 Team CAN be done!!!!

Patriots Down Nation's No.1 Team

Clemson, S.C. - The George Mason baseball team took an historic win on Saturday afternoon as the Patriots, fresh off a 14-0 loss in the season opener, rebounded to beat the nation's top team, beating #1 Clemson, 5-1. It is Mason's first-ever win over a No. 1 team...
Thanks for sharing - there were some successful pro players on that team. I've got a good feeling and looking forward to watching team go for broke on Friday night with nothing to lose. Get a couple Wake errors, tear up the base paths and see what happens!

Hopefully a watch party gets put together - or I'd be down for an informal Fairfax meetup.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Brief look into Wake's statistics shows they have excellent hitting for average across the board (7 or so guys over .300), two guys with 20+HR's and excellent starting pitching. All 3 weekend starters for them were named All ACC 1st team, with their ace Rhett Lowder being named POY.

I wouldn't say being paired with the #1 team in the country is a good matchup, but Mason is the type of team that is best suited to pull off the upset (in terms of teams that are otherwise overmatched overall).

Wake is #1 primarily because of their excellent starting pitching across the board, but Mason's offense is designed to, and excels at, maximizing baserunners and creating scoring opportunities through getting HBP's, not striking out, walks, stolen bases, sac bunts/fly's.

Our type of offense puts a lot of pressure on defenses and that is Wake's weakness.

If we can get leadoff batters on base and keep the game low scoring - you never know!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I wouldn't say being paired with the #1 team in the country is a good matchup, but Mason is the type of team that is best suited to pull off the upset (in terms of teams that are otherwise overmatched overall).

Wake is #1 primarily because of their excellent starting pitching across the board, but Mason's offense is designed to, and excels at, maximizing baserunners and creating scoring opportunities through getting HBP's, not striking out, walks, stolen bases, sac bunts/fly's.

Our type of offense puts a lot of pressure on defenses and that is Wake's weakness.
To add to this, Coach Camp has zigged while everyone else has zagged. Not a lot of teams play small ball anymore so thats exactly the style he implemented when he took over. They managed to win the conference tournament without hitting a HR; the only team in the tournament not to hit one. Compare that to Rider, winners of the MAAC (which has a similar conference RPI to the A10 and also played their tourney in a minor league park) and they hit 5 HRs in route to winning their title.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
To add to this, Coach Camp has zigged while everyone else has zagged. Not a lot of teams play small ball anymore so thats exactly the style he implemented when he took over. They managed to win the conference tournament without hitting a HR; the only team in the tournament not to hit one. Compare that to Rider, winners of the MAAC (which has a similar conference RPI to the A10 and also played their tourney in a minor league park) and they hit 5 HRs in route to winning their title.
I have always loved the small ball game.
Pitching. Defense. Walk. Single. Steal.
Play error free ball, force the action, and keep the other team on their heels.
Go Patriots!!

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Best team ever was the 2009 team won over 40 games and I believe about 9 draft picks. Justin Bour was on that team and made it to the majors as a 25th round choice...

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Best team ever was the 2009 team won over 40 games and I believe about 9 draft picks. Justin Bour was on that team and made it to the majors as a 25th round choice...
Game 1 in the Regionals vs South Carolina at ECU. First inning, we have the bases loaded, with a run already on the board. South Carolina's ace is in trouble and their bullpen is ready; he's got one more batter before getting pulled. Gets a double play ball and out of the inning. Momentum is gone and their ace ends up pitching through the late innings. We never regain said momentum and lose the next day to a Binghamton team that had never won a NCAA game.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Game 1 in the Regionals vs South Carolina at ECU. First inning, we have the bases loaded, with a run already on the board. South Carolina's ace is in trouble and their bullpen is ready; he's got one more batter before getting pulled. Gets a double play ball and out of the inning. Momentum is gone and their ace ends up pitching through the late innings. We never regain said momentum and lose the next day to a Binghamton team that had never won a NCAA game.
Blech!

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For those more in the know with NCAA stuff than I, is there any money to be made by making a bit of a run here (aside from the obvious ability to fundraise better), or is this baseball also one of those sports where the team essentially loses money because of travel? Would be nice if they could make a little progress on the field upgrades.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For those more in the know with NCAA stuff than I, is there any money to be made by making a bit of a run here (aside from the obvious ability to fundraise better), or is this baseball also one of those sports where the team essentially loses money because of travel? Would be nice if they could make a little progress on the field upgrades.
An "appropriate and reasonable" travel cost for every team is covered by the NCAA. I don't know if there is any other "profit distribution" like there is in the Men's BBall Tournament.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Unless something has changed, schools/conferences only benefit monetarily from NCAA tournament participation in men's hoops. There is no revenue distribution from the NCAA to schools for baseball. As jessej points out, the NCAA does cover travel and lodging expenses for teams in the tournament, but thats not the same as revenue. Note, DI college football is not a NCAA sport; its governed by the conferences and TV $$ is handled separately and outside of the NCAA's books.

Speaking of travel, Kentucky is hosting a regional and there is a lack of hotels in Lexington this weekend. Solution- put the other teams up in UK dorms:

Yossarian

Sixth Man
So, I managed to find a sports bar with 50 TVs and they can’t seem to find the game. Could someone post inning/score updates for me here until they figure things out?