A-10 Hirings and Firings

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Someone needs to ask Paulsen what he’s planning on doing in the offseason about his defense to stop giving up so many 3s.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I heard from a source close to program that Paulsen will be fired tomorrow.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If the last 4 years constitute failure, I’m not sure how you survived the 3 before that.

The last 3 certainly has been better than the 4 before that, but the last two seasons have been a disappointment (expectations breed disappointment).

Next season, I want to see more consistent effort (even if we lose), and a better home record (Penn, American, Davidson and Duquense should not have left here with a victory), so that even if our league position doesn't improve next year, it will feel like a more successful season because we won't be sleep walking through games and we get our home court back.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The last 3 certainly has been better than the 4 before that, but the last two seasons have been a disappointment (expectations breed disappointment).

Next season, I want to see more consistent effort (even if we lose), and a better home record (Penn, American, Davidson and Duquense should not have left here with a victory), so that even if our league position doesn't improve next year, it will feel like a more successful season because we won't be sleep walking through games and we get our home court back.

I never said this season wasn’t a disappointment. I took issue with calling it a failure.

Dawgs99

Starter
It was some what comforting to hear Paulsen admit that when he looks at the upper echelon A-10 teams they look different than Mason. As we all know when there is a problem, admitting that one exists is the first step. So there's that......Paulsen and company realize that this roster needs an major upgrade in both size and athleticism. Now, can he get it done? His current track record suggests NO. Miller and to a lesser extent Mar are A-1o level wings ( size/athleticism). Of course Kier is A-10 level. Other than that do we know for sure we have any other players that are upper echelon A-10 good?

I'm also not super excited about our 2 recruits. No disrespect to Oduro and Johnson but if we continue to beat out Patriot League, Big South, and CAA teams for recruits we are never going to break through in the A-10. The kid who visited from Canada has no other D1 offers from what I could find. This has to change!

One could argue that with our current talent level we may have over achieved these last few years. Especially this year with the injuries to key players and Otis's senior year jinx. This would be a feather in the cap of DP. But nobody is satisfied with where we are currently. DP has guided us out of the dark days of Hewitt....but can anyone say that they have complete confidence in DP and staff to lead us to the next level? I can't.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I disagree about Xavier Johnson. He’s been one of the best players on one of the best team in one of the toughest leagues in the country. Hes been going up against high major talent all season and winning. He’s going to be fine.

Hartwell is a little small, but there are plenty of smaller pg who do just fine in the A10, and he’s looks promising.

Boyd also.

AJ is bouncy and athletic, but he needs to add like 15 pounds on his frame and turned into a backup 4 to be effective and learn to play within himself.

We lack a bench though. And we are deficient at the 5 spot definitely. Paulsen has not been able to recruit a big. Calixte is ok, but too limited on the offensive side to be a 30 mpg starter right now. Reuter lacks any kind of athleticism or length.

I’m not sure why we took Oduro over Paar, but we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Dawgs99

Starter
If Johnson had put up his numbers in the WCAC I'd be more sold. I'm really just looking at what other schools offered. Agree that AJ would be better served working out this summer with playing the 4 in mind.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Johnson had put up his numbers in the WCAC I'd be more sold. I'm really just looking at what other schools offered. Agree that AJ would be better served working out this summer with playing the 4 in mind.
I think AJ is going to work out with another school in mind this summer.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Weird thing about Johnson is he’s listed at 6’0, 6’1, 6’2 and 6’3 by the various recruiting sites. Anyone have a clue how big he actually is?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Blathering thougts...

What offers did Kyle Lofton receive out of HS? Apparently, not much. According to the commentary during yesterday's Bonnie's game, Lofton went to a prep school after HS and the Bonnie's picked him up. He was nothing special. One season in, now how does he look? As we all know, recruiting is not an exact science.

For Mason, lightly recruited Otis, top 10 player in Mason history. Jordan Miller—unconfident redshirt transformed to a high impact player in less than two months. Kier, not good enough to be recruited in JMU's backyard—current recipient of A10 MIP player award. Mason's getting better and on an upward trajectory.

I'll take the slow growth in exchange for long-term success over a successful three-year coach who bounces out to a P5 school and leaves Mason in perpetual transitional turmoil.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He'd lose a year if he transferred.

I could see him leaving as a grad transfer if he can’t get consistent playing time next year.

The 2020 recruiting class is really crucial. We will need impact players at the 5, 4 and 2 spots as we will be losing Kier, Boyd, Greene, Reuter, Mar, and AJ in the next two years. That’s almost a complete roster turnover. If he can’t win some recruiting battles and get some athletes in here we are in serious trouble.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Now he admits it? What was he looking at for 4 years? I call bs. Protecting his assistants from the fact they blow at recruiting.