A-10 Hirings and Firings

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
But once we start routinely making the tournament, we will be rolling in the dough.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I thought Mason also sponsored WBB. Once again, 400k is nothing on 20+ mil in expenses.

I think the point is 400k > 0k? Yes, it’s not a lot, but when it is pretty much all going to men’s basketball, which is about $3.5 million, that’s a decent chunk of change.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
I think the point is 400k > 0k? Yes, it’s not a lot, but when it is pretty much all going to men’s basketball, which is about $3.5 million, that’s a decent chunk of change.

Ez for you to say. Any budget has to account for all sports and admins. Not just MBB. You can see things any way you want but 300-400k doesn’t put a dent into the total bill your AD is facing. Debt service, scholarship, salaries, health care, operations on 20+ sports, facility upgrades, infrastructure, etc. On the revenue side you only have subsidies, philanthropy, NCAA sponsorship revenue, naming rights (?) marketing rights, tix sales (one sport?) my seat licensing, institutional beverage pouring rights (?), trademark (?) and not sure about arena revenue either beyond athletic events. You are viewing this issue thru one lens. I advised a client today on the risk of additional subsidies couched as fees at your level on a greater budget. Gigantic institutional risk. I’m guessing Mason may have some of the same concerns. Good banter.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Would love to know the breakdown on how $1.5 million was spent on the locker rooms. You can build a nice house for that amount. Not saying it isnt possible, just want to see the break out of cost. Maybe they have some left over since it went into the basketball excellence fund.

Mason32

Starter
Would love to know the breakdown on how $1.5 million was spent on the locker rooms. You can build a nice house for that amount. Not saying it isnt possible, just want to see the break out of cost. Maybe they have some left over since it went into the basketball excellence fund.

$1.5M can get you a condo in NOVA

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ez for you to say. Any budget has to account for all sports and admins. Not just MBB. You can see things any way you want but 300-400k doesn’t put a dent into the total bill your AD is facing. Debt service, scholarship, salaries, health care, operations on 20+ sports, facility upgrades, infrastructure, etc. On the revenue side you only have subsidies, philanthropy, NCAA sponsorship revenue, naming rights (?) marketing rights, tix sales (one sport?) my seat licensing, institutional beverage pouring rights (?), trademark (?) and not sure about arena revenue either beyond athletic events. You are viewing this issue thru one lens. I advised a client today on the risk of additional subsidies couched as fees at your level on a greater budget. Gigantic institutional risk. I’m guessing Mason may have some of the same concerns. Good banter.

We also have 50 of our scholarships endowed. Again, I fail to see how 400k from tv rights isn’t better than 0 from tv rights. And, yes, almost all of our increased revenue is going to MBB. Read the minutes from the BOV meeting where they approved student fee increases (most of our non-revenue sports hadn’t seen an increase in their budget in 10 years).

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The CAA signed a digital rights deal a month or so ago for about a million(too lazy to look it up the exact amount). But instead of giving that money back to the schools, the schools and the conference decided to buy time on CBS SportsNet to put a few football and basketball games on traditional TV.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
We also have 50 of our scholarships endowed. Again, I fail to see how 400k from tv rights isn’t better than 0 from tv rights. And, yes, almost all of our increased revenue is going to MBB. Read the minutes from the BOV meeting where they approved student fee increases (most of our non-revenue sports hadn’t seen an increase in their budget in 10 years).

There is a huge difference between closing an endowment and saying you are opening an endowment. It takes tens of millions to fully endow 50 scholarships. Me thinks you may be a bit off on your facts. The annual yield to a dept is 3-5%. Do the math on that at full closure. I contribute annually to a named scholarship at Mason and the person named has not endowed a full scholarship. Takes a boatload. Hard to believe your board referred to fee increase related to Athletics. Post the link please.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There is a huge difference between closing an endowment and saying you are opening an endowment. It takes tens of millions to fully endow 50 scholarships. Me thinks you may be a bit off on your facts. The annual yield to a dept is 3-5%. Do the math on that at full closure. I contribute annually to a named scholarship at Mason and the person named has not endowed a full scholarship. Takes a boatload. Hard to believe your board referred to fee increase related to Athletics. Post the link please.

I’ll find the BOV link. It was posted in another forum here, the direct quote from Edwards, but I’m sure I can find it.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
When I built my custom movie room , I spent well over $100k and it only sat 8 people versus ~24 seats in those movie rooms. They had to demo what was already there (where I was doing a new build which is cheaper) while having to work in a building being used regularly for games, concerts, etc. They also have much more stringent building codes (hand rails, egress, sprinkler system, etc.). My seats did not have custom branding (or other branding other than a movie marquee sign). Add in the locker room and lounge room and multiply it by two to include the women's locker room. Then you have to add in the appropriate multiplier for government projects always costing more than private projects. I built mine 10 plus years ago so, other than electronics prices going down, I would expect everything to be more expensive today.

So, I don't think there is any reason to think the $1.5M price tag is at all out of range.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
When I built my custom movie room , I spent well over $100k and it only sat 8 people versus ~24 seats in those movie rooms. They had to demo what was already there (where I was doing a new build which is cheaper) while having to work in a building being used regularly for games, concerts, etc. They also have much more stringent building codes (hand rails, egress, sprinkler system, etc.). My seats did not have custom branding (or other branding other than a movie marquee sign). Add in the locker room and lounge room and multiply it by two to include the women's locker room. Then you have to add in the appropriate multiplier for government projects always costing more than private projects. I built mine 10 plus years ago so, other than electronics prices going down, I would expect everything to be more expensive today.

So, I don't think there is any reason to think the $1.5M price tag is at all out of range.

My 16 seat IMAX theater on my 320 foot yacht ran 1.25 million, so I also agree that the 1.5 million is probably correct.