2023 Transfer Portal Thread

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think a smart way to organize payouts from the collective would be to somehow tie in the amount paid to the length of time they are at the school.

Can't do it in a way where potential recruits are put off by it on the front end - meaning it shouldn't come across as "you don't get paid until your 3rd or 4th year", but instead as "the longer you stay, the higher a percentage you receive"

Create an actual financial incentive for kids to stay, and help avoid overpaying ones that don't.

Now, the catch to all of this is the collective has to be well funded.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
One other point in regards to this. Your Patriot Club donations potentially went with them similarly since when you donate to the Patriot Club "you are investing in the future of our student-athletes by funding scholarships..." Quoted portion from the Patriot Club site.

See other discussions on this site and there might be a debate on whether he turned his back on us or Mason turned it's collective back on him first by not fully supporting our program/coach fully.
Solid point. You logic continues to impress. Much like a Camaro SS.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think a smart way to organize payouts from the collective would be to somehow tie in the amount paid to the length of time they are at the school.

Can't do it in a way where potential recruits are put off by it on the front end - meaning it shouldn't come across as "you don't get paid until your 3rd or 4th year", but instead as "the longer you stay, the higher a percentage you receive"

Create an actual financial incentive for kids to stay, and help avoid overpaying ones that don't.

Now, the catch to all of this is the collective has to be well funded.
That is typically how it works. The deals are typically for a season at a time, and payments are divided over time, not 1 lump sum. So if you stop working for the NIL, you stop getting paid. I may have oversimplified, but, that is how it works at a high level (at least with our deals).

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
That is typically how it works. The deals are typically for a season at a time, and payments are divided over time, not 1 lump sum. So if you stop working for the NIL, you stop getting paid. I may have oversimplified, but, that is how it works at a high level (at least with our deals).
I noticed this tweet and wondered if we can do the same to expand awareness. I have many Mason friends that follow from afar, mostly Social Media and only on big news items.

View: https://twitter.com/FriarFamilyNIL/status/1640349620319518722?s=20

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I noticed this tweet and wondered if we can do the same to expand awareness. I have many Mason friends that follow from afar, mostly Social Media and only on big news items.

View: https://twitter.com/FriarFamilyNIL/status/1640349620319518722?s=20
I touched on it in an earlier post. A couple points:

The Patriot Nation Collective (PNC) is hoping to be able to capitalize on the upcoming announcement. I'll also mention again, the PNC is 100% volunteer run by people who have day jobs, and in many cases not regular 9 to 5 jobs, typically, running/partners in their own businesses. They are doing the best they can without support from the AD (currently).

Related to the above point, without the AD embracing the PNC yet, it may be difficult to get an announcement from the school/school official like Nap did in the Friars case. Efforts to get the AD to embrace the PNC are afoot, stay tuned. Having the fan base get behind the PNC and encouraging the AD to embrace the PNC would probably be helpful.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You can dislike it all you want, but it is the way things are now. If all our fans were to take your approach , we would most definitely become a continual bottom feeder in the A10.
You're right, but it doesn't mean I have to like it ... kind of like vegetables.

I was only commenting that it just feels wrong to do everything we do for these kids (the whole NCAA system that's been set up for the NIL) and then they just do whatever they want with no repercussions and those who've invested are burned. Coaches, too, but that's a different conversation.

I get that this is the world we play in now, and we have to play ball or, as you've said, we would be a continuously bottom feeder. Again, you're right, but I dislike it so.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You're right, but it doesn't mean I have to like it ... kind of like vegetables.

I was only commenting that it just feels wrong to do everything we do for these kids (the whole NCAA system that's been set up for the NIL) and then they just do whatever they want with no repercussions and those who've invested are burned. Coaches, too, but that's a different conversation.

I get that this is the world we play in now, and we have to play ball or, as you've said, we would be a continuously bottom feeder. Again, you're right, but I dislike it so.
Let me join you in solidarity as I shake my fist at the clouds.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Let's allow market forces to do their work. For instance, What's going to happen when a highly compensated player transfers unexpectedly? Will the "sponsors" feel good about future "investment"?

Junkees9

Sixth Man
How is it that Ojiako can enter the transfer portal again? I thought you could only do that once and isn't that how he got here from Va. Tech?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How is it that Ojiako can enter the transfer portal again? I thought you could only do that once and isn't that how he got here from Va. Tech?
The George Mason exception. All Patriots and staff are allowed to leave for Providence or other desinations. They will litter the rosters of next years Sweet 16 and at least one player will play in the Final Four - he'll likely win M.O.P. As post- Larranaga Mason fans this is all we can hope for and what we should ultimately be rooting for.

The Providence area's top CYO team will be transferring into Mason next year and will be led by current New England mafia boss Carmen "The Cheese Man" Dinunzio. With time, his charges will transfer to vcu and we can enjoy watching them have a deep tourney run there.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This could be interesting. 6-10 combo F Rafael Castro is rumored to be on his way out of Providence, potentially giving us a second bite at the apple after we whiffed on him under DP.

What makes it particularly intriguing is I’m pretty sure his lead recruiter from Seton Hall was none other than Tony Skinn.

Castro wound up committing to Dayton, then switched to Providence after UD signed Daron Holmes.