2023 Transfer Portal Thread

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Was Henry only guy to show his support for Tony?

As far as I know he’s the only player to publicly announce he’s staying. Players currently not in the portal: Malik Henry, Devin Dinkins, Peter Oduro.

Players who might be coming back? Ronnie Polite (debate about whether or not Malik said he’s staying—he’s still listed in the portal) Elvis Nnaji (supposedly Malik said Elvis told him “we’ll see.”)

Not sure about Ojiako. He might decide to stay too depending on what’s out there for him? Ditto Blake Jones?

Recruits who have not as far as I know have asked for their release: Austin Ball (apparently still coming), Dez White (Mason commitment is still his pinned tweet), Jordan Marsh (crickets as far as I can tell).

That’s a max of 8 players, possibly as few as 3. Keeping all 8 would be nice. Would give Skinn some level of continuity with Malik, Polite, Elvis, and Dinkins and enough space for some impact transfers and maybe a flyer or two on a freshman?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
As far as I know he’s the only player to publicly announce he’s staying. Players currently not in the portal: Malik Henry, Devin Dinkins, Peter Oduro.

Players who might be coming back? Ronnie Polite (debate about whether or not Malik said he’s staying—he’s still listed in the portal) Elvis Nnaji (supposedly Malik said Elvis told him “we’ll see.”)

Not sure about Ojiako. He might decide to stay too depending on what’s out there for him? Ditto Blake Jones?

Recruits who have not as far as I know have asked for their release: Austin Ball (apparently still coming), Dez White (Mason commitment is still his pinned tweet), Jordan Marsh (crickets as far as I can tell).

That’s a max of 8 players, possibly as few as 3. Keeping all 8 would be nice. Would give Skinn some level of continuity with Malik, Polite, Elvis, and Dinkins and enough space for some impact transfers and maybe a flyer or two on a freshman?
Lord help us.

From what the rumblings seem to be, I'd expect Ronnie to end up staying. Blake and Elvis gone imo, Ojiako who knows, but he's 6'10" and massive so he'll get decent offers.

Recruits at this point im expecting to stay until they say otherwise

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Like I posted before, English's biggest impact on Mason basketball is that he decimated our roster going forward. Certainly not a legacy of which to be proud.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Man the new transfer rules really have me down on college basketball. Now it's just so easy for the kids to up and move that for mid-majors you truly need a special year where everything comes together. No more building, no more thinking you've got a kid for at least four years. Kind of hard to be a mid-major fan. I've got some hope that Tony's emotional connection to the program will at least mitigate the problem somewhat but this has been a truly depressing offseason.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In the old days, fans would be pissed when a former coach would take the players with him. I just think we are in a different world now. There is an expectation that a coach will do that. But, sure, FKE.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Man the new transfer rules really have me down on college basketball. Now it's just so easy for the kids to up and move that for mid-majors you truly need a special year where everything comes together. No more building, no more thinking you've got a kid for at least four years. Kind of hard to be a mid-major fan. I've got some hope that Tony's emotional connection to the program will at least mitigate the problem somewhat but this has been a truly depressing offseason.
That's the narrative, but did you watch the tournament?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Like I posted before, English's biggest impact on Mason basketball is that he decimated our roster going forward. Certainly not a legacy of which to be proud.
This is not at all unique to English or Mason -- you have to look no further than right down 95 to see the exact same thing happening there.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's the narrative, but did you watch the tournament?
Well yeah the ironic thing is I'm not sure it totally benefits the blue bloods to have to so many new players every year. Not a ton of chemistry and it leaves openings in the tournament for the lower seeds. But that's if you can get there. And I think the new rules make getting there in the first place far harder.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Well yeah the ironic thing is I'm not sure it totally benefits the blue bloods to have to so many new players every year. Not a ton of chemistry and it leaves openings in the tournament for the lower seeds. But that's if you can get there. And I think the new rules make getting there in the first place far harder.
I think this is right. But the reality is Mason hasn’t been close to dancing in 12 years with 3 different coaches and regardless of system the NCAA has used to rank/order/evaluate teams.

Our program has to improve significantly or it won’t matter that P6 teams keep coming to poach players and coaches off a team that can’t crack 100 in the NET.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think this is right. But the reality is Mason hasn’t been close to dancing in 12 years with 3 different coaches and regardless of system the NCAA has used to rank/order/evaluate teams.

Our program has to improve significantly or it won’t matter that P6 teams keep coming to poach players and coaches off a team that can’t crack 100 in the NET.
Oh lol don't get me wrong, we haven't belonged anywhere near the tourney since Coach L. It's just harder to get excited for a rebuild or whatever. Now that P5 programs or whoever can steal a coach knowing that they can take their favorite players with them, mid-majors will constantly be looking over their shoulder.

While I do like the fact that the days of the Final Four being only top three seeds seem to be gone, it does kind of take some of the excitement of upsets away.