2023-24 Women's Basketball

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Having to play without Harris sucked. I’d say Coach VBL needs to go out and find at least one forward who can score in the paint. Suarez, Walton, and Harris should be a formidable trio, could use a forward who knows how to score around the basket.
Nalani Keysia (our starting center who's been out since late November) will be back next season. But yes, another forward couldn't hurt. Our lack of depth in the paint is probably our biggest weakness currently.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Those refs were terrible both ways, but there is no way in hell Smith’s last bucket shouldn’t have been an and-1.

She had a clear path to the rim. Calling the foul on the floor and taking away the go-ahead basket with 4 seconds left rewarded the defense for fouling and that’s ridiculous — if anything wait to see if she makes the layup and if she does, swallow the whistle.
Post-game press conference. Some tears. VB-L looked really grim (she comes on at around 20:30). The questioners are barely audible but Coach said something like "if I did, I likely would get fined". So I'm assuming it likely refers to the refs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGdebmWeh0

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
That projected bracket has us hosting a first round game. Should bode well for getting into the NIT. In the post-game, certainly VB-L expresses hope that today's game won't be the last game of the season for them.

I'm remembering when the men's team made the NIT more than a few years ago. Although disappointed that we didn't get into the NCAAs, there were great home wins over Austin Peay and Tennessee...was an exciting time!

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There is also the new NCAA-run WBIT, so we have two opportunities for a postseason tournament.

(The NCAA owns the men's NIT, but not the WNIT)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Looks like the women cannibalized themselves the same way the men did during the regular season, Richmond is the only top 4 seed to win today.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Richmond pulling away from uri 44-19 in the 3d quarter.
Richmond wins by 14, earning the autobid. With a #54 NET before today's game, they should have been in the running for an at-large bid had they lost. Mason was a #64, St. Joe's #62, vcu #52.

If the WNIT or WBIT had a slot for regular season conference winners who didn't get an autobid, this outcome at least preserves an opening for a team like Mason.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
See message from A10 about reffing of our game.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 93

psyclone

Hall of Famer
ESPN+ article on bubble teams for NCAA--no mention of Mason. Lists St Joe's as not likely to get in.

Haven't seen any parallel articles on WNIT/WBIT. Seems like we should have a shot there--maybe even a home game?

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
WBIT - Women's Basketball Invitational Tournament
1) seems to be NCAA - owned
2) pay to play/host

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Penn St is 12-4 at home; NET =27.
Mason #63. 11-5 on road.

Penn St at home beat Md by 36 ; lost by 15 at Md.
Mason lost at Md by 9..

Last edited:

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes the WBIT is controlled by the NCAA and is the second best tournament. Games will be on ESPN platforms. WNIT is now tertiary tourney not under control of NCAA.